hatchback rubbers

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#26 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

hi, once this problem is sorted out, can we r/s customers exchance our new still
in the packet hatch 1/4 rubbers for the new replacment ones. Posted Image

Unused ones yes.

Edited by les, 23 April 2010 - 05:12 PM.

#27 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

hi, once this problem is sorted out, can we r/s customers exchance our new still
in the packet hatch 1/4 rubbers for the new replacment ones. Posted Image

Unused ones yes.

mine are un-opened never fitted, cool. thanx Les.

#28 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

Tried a new drivers door rubber on the hatch and no good on my car, Im basically getting alot of resistance from the front part of the door, so the door is already trying to push itself open before the rear of the door is even close to closing . I have put the old ones back in again as the 15 years of bedding in is better than having these ones in. Anyone wanting to try the rubber can be my guest incase its just my car :)

#29 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

after fitting the 3rd lot of rare spares door rubbers im having the same problem. yesterday i got a new set from AUSSIE MUSCLE CAR PARTS in qld. they look so different to the rare spares ones. i checked the AMCP ones with some good GMH ones and they look 100% the same.im fitting them on the weekend so i let everyone know.

#30 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

ill be here waiting :)

#31 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

me too !!
dont take too long now ya hear? :lol:

#32 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

ok here we go. first with the 3rd lot of rares door rubbers. its been a few weeks since i fitted them and i have to say they did get a little better. the 3rd lot are very very soft and they did squash flat and out of shape in the problem front lower corner. all the way round the door frame the rubber was out of shape but did shut a little better.

now the new rubbers from aussie muscle car parts in qld. now these do look like the genuine rubbers with different locating lugs to the rares rubbers. i did have a little problem fitting them, the black plastic things in the door frame are a little to small, i had the make the hole rounder by using a small plillips head screwdriver. cause the genuine ones are not round enough for them. once that was done with a fair bit of pushing they went in. now looking at them fitted and checking the genuine ones fitted to the slr they do look the same. shutting the door at about 30 cms it closes perfect and you dont have to slame the bloody thing hard.

#33 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

ok here we go. first with the 3rd lot of rares door rubbers. its been a few weeks since i fitted them and i have to say they did get a little better. the 3rd lot are very very soft and they did squash flat and out of shape in the problem front lower corner. all the way round the door frame the rubber was out of shape but did shut a little better.

now the new rubbers from aussie muscle car parts in qld. now these do look like the genuine rubbers with different locating lugs to the rares rubbers. i did have a little problem fitting them, the black plastic things in the door frame are a little to small, i had the make the hole rounder by using a small plillips head screwdriver. cause the genuine ones are not round enough for them. once that was done with a fair bit of pushing they went in. now looking at them fitted and checking the genuine ones fitted to the slr they do look the same. shutting the door at about 30 cms it closes perfect and you dont have to slame the bloody thing hard.

Thanks for the feedback Graham, so it seems these are the way to go. Was there any way you could have utilised the little plastic lugs from the original rubber instead of making the the door plugs bigger?

#34 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Yes thanks for the comments
I reckon you have saved a lot of people a whole lot of hassles.
I couldn't find any listed on their site however.
Nothing for LH /LX for that matter.
Are they a new product?

#35 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

yes some thing new. so many new lx stuff coming. even the correct rear hatch rubber made from a nos rubber. its even bent at 90dec in the top corners how it should be.

#36 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:21 PM

:party::bliss::party:

#37 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Rares has changed the hatch seal, but it is still not as per original..the section that sits in the square channel is not square as per the original for example.

But it is a massive improvment over what they (and others) have been selling for the last 20 plus years.

Just check you are getting the latest, as I'm sure a retailer would prefer to move old stock first!?

If someone has the latest RS seal, could they post a photo of the side (cut end) profile? Just to help other check?

Cheers

Edited by The Baron, 09 May 2010 - 11:19 AM.

#38 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

Rares has changed the hatch seal, but it is still not as per original..the section that sits in the square channel is not square as per the original for example.

But it is a massive improvment over what they (and others) have been selling for the last 20 plus years.

Just check you are getting the latest, as I'm sure a retailer would prefer to move old stock first!?

If someone has the latest RS seal, could they post a photo of the side (cut end) profile? Just to help other check?

Cheers

Hey mate

Graham has rec'd the "latest" hatch seal from RSP a couple of weeks ago so he can post some pics of the profile, etc. We are waiting for the sample from AMCP to test both on his hatchback. When we test these we are going to shoot some video rather than trying to explain the differences..

One difference that we have been told is this.. The AMCP sample has the bends for the corners already shaped into the seal... This we have been told is how the original ones were....

cheers
Mick

#39 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

the main thing that upsets me the most is the fact that these cars cost us so much to resto and the cheapest part of the resto is the rubbers. for many years we have had no choice and just had to put up with poor fitting rubbers until NOW.

now the top rubber i got a while ago, the middle one was sent by rares 12 months ago for free after a phone call to head office and the bottom one was sent also for free a few weeks ago after talking to head office.

now the two first ones had big problems shutting the tail gate and the 3rd one is much softer and smaller than the two first ones but been smaller it does not hold in the rail. and all three have big problems in the top corners. you just bend and straight bit of rubber 90 dec and expect it to sit right.

as mick said we are waiting on a new one from amcp made from a nos one which is correct with the corners bent.here are some pics of all 3. note the last rubber sent was made 04/2010. also only the second one sent had the air holes like the genuine rubber.the ist and last didnt????????

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by lx5008, 09 May 2010 - 05:42 PM.

#40 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Ya arms need a shave Graham :tease:

As said with the 1/4 windows

When i fitted my Rare Spare Rear Quarter Window Seals & had to close the windows i was shitting myself.
Close the window with 2 hands,one outside pushing the glass & the other locking it.
i am not opening them again in fear of cracking thr glass.

Mine are the same and I'm NOT going to open them again :sad:

As for the Hatch rubber, it has taken for bloody ages to flatten out and I still have to shut it very firmly AND it still stick up a bit.

It also doesn't seem to fit in the rail properly and comes out often.
I don't want to STICK it in there.

Had been adjusting the catch bar slowly downwards for a long time.

When you have happy customers, they will keep on coming back for more products and will also provide FREE advertising by word of mouth :spoton:

Not so happy customers have the reverse effect,

Regards ... Barry

#41 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the photos and indepth update.

#42 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

We should have the AMCP hatch seal rubber in the next few weeks. Once we do, we will preview this one as well..

cheers
Mick

Edited by sstorana, 10 May 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#43 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:31 PM

As advised at the time, I have used a little quickgrip to keep the seal in place.

I do not intend to rip it out and have to clean/sand it out before fitting another seal unless the seal is 100% right.

So, thank you guys for following this through and trialing the different seals on the market.

It is saving me one very big headache.

PS..any one know a good none destructive way of removing old (3yrs) set quickgrip short of acetone !

#44 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

As advised at the time, I have used a little quickgrip to keep the seal in place.

I do not intend to rip it out and have to clean/sand it out before fitting another seal unless the seal is 100% right.

So, thank you guys for following this through and trialing the different seals on the market.

It is saving me one very big headache.

PS..any one know a good none destructive way of removing old (3yrs) set quickgrip short of acetone !

Good luck Mate!

It can be a bitch to get off.. I would suggest cutting the ruber away leaving only the areas that have been glued..

One of the reasons that I want the right seal is this. A mate of mine had a NOS one(years ago) and his just sat in position, without any glue.

It didn't leak and the best part was that after washing the car, he would just pull the seal out and dry the whole area. No chance of rust happening again!

hopefully we can get a product that will allow us to do that!

cheers
Mick

#45 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just a bit of history, the original door rubbers were made by SA rubber which later became Bridgestone. They were made from a rubber skin filled with foam on a metal carrier that doubled as a clip. It should also be noted that they were porous on the back to some extent and allowed water into the rubber.
This was an antiquated and inefficient way of making weather seals and when Bridgestone dropped the process GMH designed a new style of seal which included the current style plastic clip. RSP (Rare Spares) supplied GMH these door seals for many years to the GM specifications until GMH dropped the product. Rare Spares carried on making these however over the years we have changed the compound to try and improve the product to satisfy our customers. We have adopted new technology to enable us to do this with our current range of products. Presently we are at a point that if we make the seal any softer then it will not work as a door seal because the �memory� and durability will be compromised.
We could have opted for the simple solution that other companies have used by making a hollow tube. Primarily that style of seal is designed as a weather seal to be used on a cabinet that is not opened as much as a car door. We in fact already have the same seal that is on the market at the moment, and have had for many years but declined to use it because of its lack of durability and memory retention (the characteristic that ensures it will return to its original shape when the door is open)
http://rsp-secure.co...mage=39-620.jpg
In the long run the customer will decide which is best to suit their car but I feel confident that if a Rare Spares seal does not fit your car door then it is being fitted incorrectly or there is a problem other than the rubber

#46 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

I bought the full Rare�s rubber kit to to restore my A9X and found it pushed out the doors when trying to close them. Put the old genuine crack ones back on and the doors closed with a light touch. Please help me know what I am doing wrong, because I'm putting both rubbers on the same way and one closes beuatifully and the other I have to slam. Plus I noticed the original is hollow with the wire locking device?

#47 _l31m21vd69_

_l31m21vd69_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

Just a bit of history, the original door rubbers were made by SA rubber which later became Bridgestone. They were made from a rubber skin filled with foam on a metal carrier that doubled as a clip. It should also be noted that they were porous on the back to some extent and allowed water into the rubber.
This was an antiquated and inefficient way of making weather seals and when Bridgestone dropped the process GMH designed a new style of seal which included the current style plastic clip. RSP (Rare Spares) supplied GMH these door seals for many years to the GM specifications until GMH dropped the product. Rare Spares carried on making these however over the years we have changed the compound to try and improve the product to satisfy our customers. We have adopted new technology to enable us to do this with our current range of products. Presently we are at a point that if we make the seal any softer then it will not work as a door seal because the �memory� and durability will be compromised.
We could have opted for the simple solution that other companies have used by making a hollow tube. Primarily that style of seal is designed as a weather seal to be used on a cabinet that is not opened as much as a car door. We in fact already have the same seal that is on the market at the moment, and have had for many years but declined to use it because of its lack of durability and memory retention (the characteristic that ensures it will return to its original shape when the door is open)
http://rsp-secure.co...mage=39-620.jpg
In the long run the customer will decide which is best to suit their car but I feel confident that if a Rare Spares seal does not fit your car door then it is being fitted incorrectly or there is a problem other than the rubber

wow i also got a full set of rubbers for my 4 door and the rubber dont fit at all. les what your saying is that us torana owners dont know how to fit rubbers ??. i think i will order some door rubbers from that queensland place and have some rubber that fit and look correct.

#48 _l31m21vd69_

_l31m21vd69_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

I know under the fair trading act rare spares will have to refund monies for faulty parts up to 12 months. so i think everyone should send their faulty rubbers back to rares for a full refund and buy them from aussie muscle car parts. thats what im going to do. :Headbang2:

#49 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

les can you explain to everyone what this means

Posted Image

#50 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

Les, is R/S going offer to there faithful customers
a full refund on this issue. as i dont want my car looking like
it was restored by the bush mechanics thanx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users