• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 _leith_

_leith_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Les, is R/S going offer to there faithful customers
a full refund on this issue. as i dont want my car looking like
it was restored by the bush mechanics thanx.

As with any Rare Spares product, Rare Spares stand by their quality and if a product proves to be faulty they will refund it or replace it.

#52 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

Hi All

as you can read in a previous post, I said that the current door seal that I had were pretty good when it comes to closing the door..

After reading Les's thread about memory and durability I thought that I would relook at my door seals.

Now to fill everyone in,
I purchased these seals from Rares back in Sep/ Oct last year. I didn't get a chance to fit them until Mar 2010. Whilst I was happy with the rubbers, they have not stood up well being on the car for the last two months..

The following pictures will show you a little of what I mean. One thing that is hard to photograph is that the actual profile has distorted greatly along the top area of the door.

I was happy with the product initially, but now I am just plain dissappointed that they are not as good as I thought... :Headbang2:

If you have brought these in the past few months and fitted them, can you please tell us if you are having the same problems..

regards
Mick

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This picture is of the original door seal in the Missus' car... Still pretty good after 33 years...

Posted Image

#53 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

thats the sort of crap rubbers i was talking about. had them in the car for two weeks and they were out of shape. but the doors did shut a little easier after that time but who wants door rubbers that look like that. its almost like they contacted their persons in Thailand and said we are having problems with out rubbers.can you make them softer and with no quality control at all. sold them off not tested. you guys need to test these before selling them.

#54 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

quote name='sstorana' date='17 May 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1274088941' post='507451']
Hi All

as you can read in a previous post, I said that the current door seal that I had were pretty good when it comes to closing the door..

After reading Les's thread about memory and durability I thought that I would relook at my door seals.

Now to fill everyone in,
I purchased these seals from Rares back in Sep/ Oct last year. I didn't get a chance to fit them until Mar 2010. Whilst I was happy with the rubbers, they have not stood up well being on the car for the last two months..

The following pictures will show you a little of what I mean. One thing that is hard to photograph is that the actual profile has distorted greatly along the top area of the door.

I was happy with the product initially, but now I am just plain dissappointed that they are not as good as I thought... :Headbang2:

If you have brought these in the past few months and fitted them, can you please tell us if you are having the same problems..

regards
Mick

[/quote]
In an attempt to answer some of the concerns expressed by other contributors to this thread I would like to offer the following clarification. As previously stated Rare Spares stands by its products which if found to be faulty are replaced or refunded. It is no secret we have had in the past some problems with some door seals being a bit hard but we believe this was fixed a long time ago. We have had minimal problems with the fit of the product rather it is our experience that the vast majority of complaints we receive are after investigation as a result of errors in fitting the components. We have just fitted a door seal taken randomly from stock to an original LX hatch and as you can see from the photos and video they fit correctly and the door opens and closes easily. I propose Mick that you send the door seal that you say does not fit back to us and in return we will send to you the actual one we fitted in the video. Of course we will pay the postage both ways. Alternately we are prepared to send somebody from our company to have a closer look at the door seal you have fitted to see exactly what the problem is. With either option at least we have the opportunity to work together to try and resolve the problem which has caused so much angst.
Les

VIDEO
http://www.rsp.net.au/zforles/LX_FittingVideo.AVI

Posted Image

#55 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

G'day all

I've found a length of the 1/4 window rubber if it is still needed as a sample for new rubbers to be made.

It has steel re-inforcement.

Regards ... Barry

#56 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

In an attempt to answer some of the concerns expressed by other contributors to this thread I would like to offer the following clarification. As previously stated Rare Spares stands by its products which if found to be faulty are replaced or refunded. It is no secret we have had in the past some problems with some door seals being a bit hard but we believe this was fixed a long time ago. We have had minimal problems with the fit of the product rather it is our experience that the vast majority of complaints we receive are after investigation as a result of errors in fitting the components. We have just fitted a door seal taken randomly from stock to an original LX hatch and as you can see from the photos and video they fit correctly and the door opens and closes easily. I propose Mick that you send the door seal that you say does not fit back to us and in return we will send to you the actual one we fitted in the video. Of course we will pay the postage both ways. Alternately we are prepared to send somebody from our company to have a closer look at the door seal you have fitted to see exactly what the problem is. With either option at least we have the opportunity to work together to try and resolve the problem which has caused so much angst.
Les

VIDEO
http://www.rsp.net.au/zforles/LX_FittingVideo.AVI

Posted Image

Les

I tried to access the video, but it's not working.. With the one that you fitted, just have a look at it in say two months time to see if there has been any problems..

I can send you all of the four seals that have gone out of shape, next week. Can you email, or PM, me your address please..
I am not too worried about postage costs from here, mate. I could, if you like, take the car into Rares at Newcastle and get Lance to have a look..

let me know what you decide..

cheers
Mick

#57 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:43 PM

the video works for me except the sound is all buggered, can u not download it or just wont play?

#58 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

the video works for me except the sound is all buggered, can u not download it or just wont play?

Yeah, it just doesn't want to work..

#59 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

LES great hollywood movie.after fitting the 3rd lot of rares rubbers there is no way in hell mine fitted like that. not sure what you have done, but the only rubbers that fitted like that are the ones from aussie muscle cars parts. oh and if they are the same as micks and my 3rd lot check them in a few weeks and you will see what has upset me about your rubbers.like ive said and others have said it is the cheapest part of a resto and its the first thing people see.cause the door dont shut right.can you also do a video on your tail gate rubbers. now that i would like to see.

cheers graham

#60 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

the movie worked for me late last night but now it does not. well i spose it was made by rares lol.

#61 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

[/quote]

Les

I tried to access the video, but it's not working.. With the one that you fitted, just have a look at it in say two months time to see if there has been any problems..

I can send you all of the four seals that have gone out of shape, next week. Can you email, or PM, me your address please..
I am not too worried about postage costs from here, mate. I could, if you like, take the car into Rares at Newcastle and get Lance to have a look..

cheers
Mick
[/quote]

Mick
Lance Corby from Melbourne will contact you to arrange to have a look at your car
Les

#62 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

[quote name='les' date='21 May 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1274416707' post='508327']
[/quote]

Les

cheers
Mick
[/quote]

Mick
Lance Corby from Melbourne will contact you to arrange to have a look at your car
Les
[/quote]

Thanks Les

I spoke to Lance, looks like this will happen late next week.

cheers
Mick

#63 _l31m21vd69_

_l31m21vd69_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

looks like rares have gone into damage control

#64 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

Having been invited to the GMH Restoration parts media Launch, I was lucky enough to be also invited to look at the above pictured white hatch back to see for myself the rubber installed.

The car in question used to be owned by our very own member Knoath, and was sold to the current owner via this site a few years ago. Oddly enough, it turned out I know the current owner through the show scene, so it was interesting to see this car again, and I know I can trust his comments about the rubbers.

I was able to look at the fitment of this rubber seal and test the door for function and i can honestly report that there was no deformation of this rubber at any point (I took careful notice of the top corner of the door, and the front edge against the A pillar), no stretching and the door opened and closed as good as any Torana I have ever seen without excessive force on the repeated attempts i had at opening and closing the door. (I HATE slamming the doors of other people's cars!)

The rubber had been fitted and the door closed for over a week, and the rubber had good memory (returning to shape when the door was opened) and showed no signs of sticking, folding or failure at any point.

I was able to speak with Lance regarding the fitting of this rubber and he did mention that there are possibilities of incorrectly fitting these rubbers that may cause some of the issues seen above, and i suppose this could be a factor in the reputation these rubbers are getting.

I urge anyone who is having difficulty to contact Rare Spares directly (Via this site is fine), to discuss a resolution rather than making unhelpful comments through frustration. Please also remember that the retailer you purchased your rubbers from are DISTRIBUTORS of Rare Spares products and not Rare Spares themselves and as such Rare Spares do not have control over the information that these retailers tell the end consumer. Please speak directly with Rare Spares if you cannot get a resolution from the retailer as Rare Spares MAY be able to help to a happy conclusion.

I discussed with the staff at Rare Spares the possibility of providing better fitting instructions, and other ways that might improve their product, and they were very keen to take this information on board to provide us all with a better product.

In the end, the quality of the product will speak for itself through it's life on our vehicles, and while some items may not be 100% as per original, I'd rather have SOMETHING to replace my worn out parts, than nothing at all available!

Regards
Tiny.

#65 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Just a suggestion.. as seeing some of you guys that are having issues with the door rubbers are in Sydney.. nsw, what if yous had a gathering a meet up and one of the reps from rares came along.. did a fitting of these rubber on 1 of the cars..

Could be an idea, it might resolve alot of fustration

#66 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

im a bit offended that they think i cant fit a door rubber

#67 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

i walked into a rare spares today and was shown a cut up piece of someone Else's door rubber and a rares door rubber cut up so they can show the public the difference if someone suggested there are other manufacturers out there making better rubbers. now whats going on with that?

#68 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

They still should have a fitting day, so once that rubber from rares goes on your car.. leave it on there to show people what it looks like after time.. if its good in 3 months then great if not everyone will no.

No good playing this back forward tennis of who's right and wrong.. i would put it to them .. ~ show me how its done, fit a door rubber on my car and we will look at it in 3 months and post pics as to how it looks on here in 3 months

#69 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:29 AM

On the other point that you mentioned about showing a section of there competitors cut up rubber.. i think thats pretty sad that they have to resort to that.. can you imagine if every business did that?, first thing i learned in business dont rubbish your competitor.. people will figure out where is good

They should have a door shell instore to show people how they fit,

#70 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

They still should have a fitting day, so once that rubber from rares goes on your car.. leave it on there to show people what it looks like after time.. if its good in 3 months then great if not everyone will no.

No good playing this back forward tennis of who's right and wrong.. i would put it to them .. ~ show me how its done, fit a door rubber on my car and we will look at it in 3 months and post pics as to how it looks on here in 3 months

hi boomfunk. this is already been done using aussie muscle car parts rubbers on my car. they have sent me some other stuff since reading this thread on here to be tested. we took the video the other week of the fitment of the amcp rubbers and how well they fitted. just waiting to see if the squash out of shape before posting the video.

#71 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

Gday Boomfunk,
You raise some good points, And i think that's why Lance has been asked to come to sydney to meet with Mick (And Graham to the best of my knowledge)to see if they can find and solve the problem that seems to be occurring.

I know that the staff at Rares during my visit were always against rubbishing any competitor and their attitude was the same as you described - good parts will become known as such, and rubbish parts will suffer the same fate.

Cheers

#72 _russ acf_

_russ acf_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Hi guys,
I don't post much as I usually don't have anything worth saying.
I am the owner of the car that Lance fitted the door rubber too. Yes I bought this car off Knoath a few years back on this forum and I love it. (Thanks Dick for selling me the car)
On the subject of the door rubbers, I can say that the one Lance fitted to my car (drivers door) is BETTER than the one he took off. My door is not perfectly aligned (it is a hatch after all) but it closes easier than it did with the original rubber. The door does not stick out, the rubber fits perfectly and I am wrapped with it. I don�t drive the car very often anymore but the few times I have since the new rubber went on I have actually noticed that the door is easier to close and it seals well with no wind noise coming from it when I drive.
Also, it only took Lance no more than five minutes to have my old rubber off and the new one on. No adjustment to the door. He has asked me if it is ok for him to come out and check on it over the next few months just as a quality control and to make sure it retains it�s memory.
For what its worth thank god for people like Rares, without them we would all be stuffed and a lot more Torana�s would have been wrecked for parts instead of restoration. Keep up the good work.
Well that�s my post for the next year or so.

#73 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hi All

for those that have been following this thread, I had the pleasure of meeting up with Lance Corby today. Lance made the flight from Melbourne to Newcastle to see what the problems were with the door rubbers on the old Sunbird. See the pictures above.

Now, to get on with the latest..

The first picture above shows what has happened to the Rubber on the Passenger Side Rear Door..
After looking at it, both Lance and myself could not see why this had happened. Lance replaced the rubber with a new one (manufactured this year) and it seems to have fixed the problem.

The second picture above shows what has happened to the Rubber on the Drivers Side Front Door..
After some examinations, we found that this Door had approx. 10mm - 15mm play in it due to the upper hinge. This was not noticable until we checked it for vertical movement.

If you have a look at the following two pictures you will see the difference from when the door is in the position and on the first click of the striker bolt (picture 1), and where it sits once fully closed (Picture 2)..

Partially Closed..
Posted Image

Fully Closed
Posted Image

So how does that effect the rubber seal?? What is happening is that when partially closed, the seal was sitting lower than where it should have been in the door opening and when the door was fully closed, it was compressing the the seal under the door opening rail (re red line) nd not above and on the front face of the area.

Posted Image

The third picture above shows what has happened to the Rubber on the Drivers Side Rear Door..
After some examinations, we found that this Door had problems in the fact that the front corner of the door glass channel was sitting too far in. See below..

Posted Image

Once we had worked out that this needed adjustment, we adjusted it and the problem with the door seal dissappeared...

Posted Image

As you can see, there were a number of different factors for why there were problems with the seals fitted to my car. It certainly opened my eyes to some of the problems that were occurring.

What I am happy with now is that the rubbers do fit well (albeit I need to fix a door hinge) and hopefully I won't be worrying about these for a long time..

To anyone else that is having problems a few things that might be causing them are:
Old versions of the seal,
Door Hinge Sag, and
Door alignment, both vertical and horizontal.

I hope that this helps a few people out and we can put the issues with the door seals behind us..

Russacf
I would be interested in what your thoughts are and if your doors suffer from sagging?

Finally, thanks to Lance and Rare Spares for taking the time and the considerable effort to come up and have a look at the problem.

cheers
Mick

#74 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

What a good result, so far so good eh Mick?
Good to see Rare Spares come to the party.

#75 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

Fantastic news.

How's things with regards to the Hatch seal trials?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users