Photo

What is a 71 Bathurst XU-1?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#26 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

Just had a look at the book of XU1's at Bathurst by Steve Stathis. The 71 Bathurst rules still required cars to run the stock exhaust system. You can see in a few photos the twin tail pipes on the '71 cars. You can also see in a photo of the rear of Bond's car the cylindrical resonator just aft of the engine pipe.

#27 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

look it to me is not worth the argument,,, at the end of the day you all own your cars so build them how you want them to be...
frash that would have been some sexy thing to see,

cheers gong

#28 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

Has anyone seen the 7/16" rod reinforcement fitted to a 71 car? Mine had the more commonly seen plate strengthening.

#29 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

yeh zook mine has them and i have them down the shed, but i wont be putting them back on the car.

cheers gong

#30 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:26 AM

Has anyone seen the 7/16" rod reinforcement fitted to a 71 car? Mine had the more commonly seen plate strengthening.

Yes on my old 9/71 CK, when I first saw them I thought this can't be factory fitted but I was wrong, luck I had a copy of Fiv Antonios book.

ck1971.

#31 _l34nut_

_l34nut_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

John you missed one colour Dutchess Gould.
Gav

#32 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

if i did mate, that would have been a special order, and no dobt there would be some of them.

cheers gong

#33 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

What is a 71 Bathurst Xu-1?

Reinforced front lower control arm.
Baffled diff housing.
New CK engine prefix.
Increased lift camshaft with revised valve timing.
Inlet and exhaust valves with slightly larger head diameter.
New cylinder head with reduced valve guide heights.
New balanced section molybdenum filled cast iron barrel laped top piston ring.
Improved attachment of oil pan baffle - brazed as well as spot welded.
Oil pump pickup set closer to base of oil pan.
New Zenith metering needles 5H in lieu of 6E.
New Aussie XU1 M20 close ratio gearbox.
New clutch plate.
New road wheels with thicker wheel disc and no hubcap nibs.
Radiator core now has 14.5 fins per inch, in lieu of 12 fins per inch.
Revised centrifugal advance and vacuum advance settings, initial timing setting now 10deg BTC at 900 rpm.
Larger 2" exhaust system in lieu of 1.3/4"system. Muffler is one 2" pipe in with two straight tips out.
Head restraints fitted to front seats??????
Extractors - NO.
Revised centre floor console (carried over to LJ model) with shift pattern plate to suit Aussie M20.

The gear pattern plate was not likely to be on the late LC consols as they were not fitted to early LJ consols
this did not come in until mid the LJ model range.
The hard resin gear knob with the shift pattern was fitted to the HQ's, so I suspect that late LC's would have had this also,
most if not all LJ's had the rubber type long grain patterned knobs, Rare Spares attemped to make these but better reproductions are available.

I would be interested to know when the All Aussie boxes were first used, the limited information I have indicates it seems to be about Aug 71 and would be a non ribbed casing,

Mike

#34 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Blake

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

dont all lc xu1s have the reinforced lower control arm section? if not and its only bathurst, does anyone have a photo of this reinforcement?

Cheers Blake :)

#35 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

only started with the 71 bathurst cars blake,,, i can get you a pic of this tomorrow.

cheers gong

#36 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

GMH issued a Dealer Service Letter March 1st 1971 advising Dealers how to strengthen the lower control arms with 7/16" x 3" long mild steel rod for vehicles used in arduous conditions. So some of the rod strengthened lower control arms may have been Dealer modified not Factory produced.

#37 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

GMH issued a Dealer Service Letter March 1st 1971 advising Dealers how to strengthen the lower control arms with 7/16" x 3" long mild steel rod for vehicles used in arduous conditions. So some of the rod strengthened lower control arms may have been Dealer modified not Factory produced.

And how was this 'rod' placed over the control arm? i have a front and but it has a plate kinda thing welded over the control arm between the spring and tie rod ends.

Cheers Blake

#38 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

And how was this 'rod' placed over the control arm? i have a front and but it has a plate kinda thing welded over the control arm between the spring and tie rod ends.

Cheers Blake

Think you might mean between the spring and the ball joint?

You can only have either type strengthening but not both, as the plate became the standard and attatched at the same points.

The information about how to strengthen the lower control arms as stated with rods was first known to the dealers but also became known to anyone with a Fiv Antoniou book and these were printed first about 1984, I think I welded the rods in mine at this time and I still have them too, even though I have had them in three Toranas.

Mike

Edited by Mike73, 05 December 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#39 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

Yes on my old 9/71 CK, when I first saw them I thought this can't be factory fitted but I was wrong, luck I had a copy of Fiv Antonios book.

ck1971.

Strange thing about the Dealer Service Letter in Fivs' book is the letter is dated 25th February 1971. GMH appear to always put the month first then the day of the month then the year, eg: February 25th 1971.
The body of text in the service letter describes using the 7/16" rod reinforcements on the control arms but the illustrations are for the later plate type reinforcement.
And finally at the bottom of the service letter it is dated 8-7-1971.
:dontknow:

#40 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

Attached File  2007_1006Image0126.JPG   431.25K   205 downloads

#41 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

well done roger, it saves me the trouble,,, mike73 show us the pics of the patrol arm rods you are talking about, i still have the original rods that was race on my ck..

cheers gong

#42 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

so if i had a front end with these control arms on them, would that define the control arms that in fact they are bathurst? or a general xu1 control arm?

Cheers Blake

#43 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

71,72,and 73 this will cover, has i have said before in a post the ck lc xu1 was the first of the xu1s to have this modification, but only the real race cars will have these

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

i never took a pic of the nut and it has a hole drilled in it and a peice of wire goes in the hole, just to stop them fulling off on the track i would say...

cheers gong

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 06 December 2010 - 06:05 PM.

#44 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

ohk, thanks gong. also i kno this may sound really stupid of me but that rod looks like the rod the goes from the control arm to the body? dont all toranas have them? or do those specific ones pictured go somewhere else?

Cheers buddy

#45 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

no all torana rods are not like this one mate,

cheers gong

#46 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:56 AM

well done roger, it saves me the trouble,,, mike73 show us the pics of the patrol arm rods you are talking about, i still have the original rods that was race on my ck..

cheers gong

Sorry Guys been doing other things, here are the pictures of the control arms that you wanted to see.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have seen plenty of bent ones and often the owners do not even realise that they are drastically bent.

I straightened mine before I welded them of course, actually I went a bit past straight to allow for some shringage when welded, it worked out just fine. actually this is the third 1973 Torana that I have fitted these to.

Mike

Edited by Mike73, 24 December 2010 - 02:01 AM.

#47 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:31 AM

the gtr should not have them, so why would you put them on your mustard gtr???
and getting back to a reply you made to danes post about the [red wall tyres], If you want to start to customise your very popular and in demand collector car, sell it to someobne who cares about originality and buy yourself a WRX rice grinder or something, these cars are special for what they are, not what can be modified!

hahaha :ph34r:
you deserved that

cheers gong

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 25 December 2010 - 06:37 AM.

#48 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

Absolute gold John :-)

#49 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

+1....haha well said gong

#50 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

mike 73 , no amount of strenghening will stop your lower control arms from bending with springs like that .

springs look like they have collapsed or are too soft for the car , not too much gap there between coils ol mate !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users