Got Bored.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Heh well Both the Torana and the Coupe are still away and was my day off today so had to find something to do...

So had a shot at a Turbo Merge collector (part of a Turbo exhaust manifold for anyone wondering)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took about 6 hours and was actually quite hard! marking and cutting the weird angles with nothing but a Angle grinder, I wish I had a Bandsaw! (adds to shopping list)

#2 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Good work - just goes to show what can be done with a bit of patience and skill when you don't have all the right tools Posted Image

#3 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

Welds look a little cold

#4 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

hi,
are the merge angles set at a specific angle?

Cheers

#5 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

No specific angle (if your asking for the optimum angle for gas flow?) Just what seemed to fit nice... there roughly 30'

Welds look a little cold

Im still really quite new to welding... should they be sitting a little flatter? I just used the chart on the welder to choose the welder settings (for 3mm steel)

The hardest bit was definitely marking the cut lines accurately? anyone got any tips on how to do this? I basically just lined the lines on the wooden base up with eye and drew em on with a marker... I sussed out how to cut them straight by the end tho, But still a bandsaw or maybe even a drop saw with an adjustable clamp would be handy..

#6 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

yeah ok

#7 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

i think col means when he says they look a little cold is .... in the last pic the welds seem to be sitting on top a bit and with that thickness steel ( 3mm ) there should be a blue type colour ( forget what its called ) in the clean steel, also looks like in the last pic there doesnt seem to be good penertration, good indercation of not enough heat correct me if im wrong please Col i can take it i hope Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

Oh I had cleaned the welds up with a wire wheel...

In reguards to penetration, heres a question for ya... I had the welder setup for 3mm but as you can see in the following pic when you cut the steel at and angle some sections end up being thicker then 3mm? So Should I turn the welder up for these areas?

Posted Image

#9 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

Should use Oxy or TIG, that way you can control penitration better.
Also, where the pipes/metal butts together, grind the sharp edge off, that way when you put the two joins together (before welding) you shuld see a trench where the weld will fill in.

#10 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Welds look a little cold

now you have stated it....maybe you should explain what you meant plz

#11 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

Welds look a little cold

now you have stated it....maybe you should explain what you meant plz

I think nial8r covered it m8.

Anything else i add will just become technical gibberish :)

#12 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

more info please Col, as i have always said you can never have enough knowledge Posted Image

#13 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

more info please Col, as i have always said you can never have enough knowledge Posted Image

Welding pipe in position is seldom a sucessfull [ie, super neat] process with the mig.
The reasoning is....in order to do the vert, starting around 19v, then by the time you get to the top 21v is better,....but...see?..... technical giberish! This could go on for pages! I cbf!

All i will add is....practice, practice, practice. :)

oh!...& don't weld over your tacks without grinding them first...if you want a smick finish.
I would slap my apprentice for doing that! :)

#14 GTR600

GTR600

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name:Brock
  • Car:72 LJ GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

The welding will safice but could have been a bit hotter like you say the thickness is a little greater than 3 mm.

As long as you have burnt both edges and theres no porosity it will hold together for the job required, Try grind stop starts as mentioned and always weld down hand were praticle.

making a developement for a three into one is not an easy job but you look to have done a nice job.

What is on the plans now for your next sicky.

#15 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:50 AM

Can you explain the "grind stop starts" bit? are you refering to what bart said about grinding the sharp edges off? if so can you elaborate on this. (either you or bart... or anyone)

Cheers its actually a 4 into 1, just cant see the rear leg in the pic

I think this is probably wrong but as you can see I did little tacks one after another which gives it more of a TIG weld look (I know im still too messy to be comparing it to a good tig weld) but yea... Should I be trying to do continuous welds rather then a row of Tacks?

Next... well I just picked up a bunch of steam pipe bends so will be making the rest of the manifold when I get a chance.

#16 GTR600

GTR600

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Name:Brock
  • Car:72 LJ GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Forget about the stop starts i mentioned,its mainly for larger items which will be checked for cracks ect.

once you have the item tacked up good continuous welds are better but depending on the size of the item and heat input required , more heat more distortion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users