LX brake booster upgrade + hydraulic clutch

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:13 AM

G'day.

I'm no expert with this stuff, that's why I have come to seek everybody's wisdom.

Well to start with, can someone please tell me what these boosters are from? I think I know what they are except for the one on the left which I think may be from a HG ute? The little blue one is from my old 202 LX. The one just to the left of the blue one I think was the V8 one that came out of my LX. And the one on the far right I am pretty sure is another LX one that I had as a spare..

My boosters have been sitting around for 3 years. Is there any parts inside that deteriorate from not being used? Want to know if I would need to have them rebuilt if they can be? Or if they would be ok to use?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I want to get rid of the ugly proportioning valve (pretty sure that is the name of it) from the brake setup. I did a bit of searching on here and found someone who said the LH/LX booster can be modified to suit the UC master cylinder (that has no proportioning valve??) by fitting a Commodore 45 degree cover? Also on my searching, I found a bunch of guys who are using a VT commodore master cylinder as an upgrade on there VL commodore boosters? I'm not sure of the workings and benefits of a VT master cylinder over a UC torana one, but would that be a better option if I could fit it?

This is a link to the guide to fit a VT Master onto a VL booster

Here is a photo of a VT master cylinder onto a VL booster:

Posted Image

Ok so thats the brakes sorted, now I need some hydraulic clutch advice.

I'm putting a T5 behind my 253 and I want to run a hydraulic clutch setup. Does anyone have any advice and possibly some photo's or a tutorial on how to do so? What would be the best master cylinder to use for this? Or can one even be fitted, as the rocker covers will be damn close, and the brake booster is huge.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks,

Adam

#2 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:55 AM

The one to the right with the bent pushrod is about 2/3 the size of the 2 on the left

#3 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

For the brake stuff Datto is the man, its been a while but I would guess that
little blue one is 4 or 6 cyclinder LH / LX.
the one on the right is a V8 LH / LX booster but has a UC push rod, note the blue one rod is striaght but the deeper one it is bent, so deeper one definitely V8 booster but bent rod means it has been modified to fit UC brake pedal.
One on left of blue looks like early holden so HG HR booster but push rod I am guessing LC LJ and I think they had a similar sort of looking booster so could be
one on far left early holden HG HR etc

*sits back to see if I have won a prize for correctly guessing answers**

#4 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

This might help..Datto is your man for any questions.
R

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=36066

#5 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks mate that was a massive help! Will probably use the identical setup to yourself :)

Just a quick question, you said the booster arm needs to be shortened 50mm back to 140mm from the body face to the centre of the arm pin hole.. Do you have any pictures of you doing this?
How did you do it? Did you cut the arm off and weld it back on? Just worried about the strength of it, don't wanna have no brakes up the highway! lol

Anyone have any idea's on the hydraulic clutch setup?

Cheers.

Adam

#6 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

All the ones I have seen they have cut and rewelded the push rod as for clutch setup Mal woods seem to be the poeple to see just google the name and they do a under dash setup that most seem to think is the way to go, I havnt used it myself so only saying what other on here have said

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image

Left.. VH312 or VH320 depending on rod length
Suits HK-T-G

Next on right... VH329
Suits LH and early LX V8

Next on right VH271
Suits as above but 6 and 4 cyl

Last one far right VH346
Suits later LX V8 and UC 6 cyl with 4w discs

Here is a photo of a VT master cylinder onto a VL booster:

Posted Image

Nope... this is a VT booster and master... not a VT master on a VL booster

I'm putting a T5 behind my 253 and I want to run a hydraulic clutch setup. Does anyone have any advice and possibly some photo's or a tutorial on how to do so? What would be the best master cylinder to use for this? Or can one even be fitted, as the rocker covers will be damn close, and the brake booster is huge.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks,

Adam

Mal uses a modified pedal and a funny lil master
Then suggests using a concentric slave cylinder and bearing assembly inside the bellhousing... so no external slave
I'd recommend this too
Dave did this with his Tremec (355LX)
I think he wasn't entirely happy with the pedal and did some mods on it before fitting

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

Just finished my CRS clutch...bit of dicking around but this is my third one and I wouldnt go back.
R
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

Nice one R.

Where did you buy that kit from? And what sort of bracket bolts to the firewall?

Cheers

#10 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Ok I did a bit more googleing and found some other things.

Has anyone ever tried out one of the Malwood underdash hydraulic pedal kits? All you need is a remote reservoir in the engine bay. It's a $790 investment tho.. But could save a lot of dicking around..

Posted Image

I also found a remote reservoir setup on a Nissan website. Maybe something like this could be modified to suit a torana? Because without the bowl on top you could probably have this sitting higher than the rocker cover for clearance??

Posted Image

Also has anyone ever seen a reverse swing clutch setup on a torana? That way could possibly have the master cylinder underneath the dash..

Have a chew on that and see what you guys can spit out.

Cheers

Adam

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

lx308 tried the firewall mounted master with remote reservoir and it looked quite good but ran into clearance issues and went with the Mal Wood pedal kit:
http://www.gmh-toran...t=150&start=150

#12 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Yes...I said 355LX has the Mal wood setup... under dash.....

All depends how much dicking about laying upside down you want to do

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:46 PM

Off memory..Pete sent me these pics.Mine is the Castlemaine Rod Shop setup.
R
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by rorym, 27 April 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#14 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:38 AM

Thanks for that R.

Just one last question. That booster and master cylinder upgrade, is that suited for rear drums? I'm not sure so thought I would check. As your tech article title was.. Commodore Booster to LH/X Rear Discs

Cheers for all the help guys much appreciated

#15 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

As long as you use a drum proportioning valve it will work fine

#16 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

Ok so I still need a proportioning valve no matter what I do if I am still using the HQ drum brakes on rear? My main aim was to get rid of the proportioning valve.. Maybe I'll Just stick with the original setup then.. Or is there another option?

Cheers

#17 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

If you use a commodore master it has a valve and no you don't need another .... even with dumb brakes on the back

#18 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:11 AM

My main aim was to get rid of the proportioning valve..

You still need one regardless, but as Datto says its built into the master cylinder so its less obvious. See the extra cylinder built into the casting where the brake lines attach on the Commodore ones compared to the earlier type - that's the proportioning valve (edit: and fail switch which you must have for a street car).

Edited by 76lxhatch, 29 April 2010 - 07:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users