Can a coil be faulty? as in not work then work?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

As the topic reads im trying to diagnose a problem with my wife's friends car. Its a 2001 Mazda 323 astina 1.6ltr. It has 2 coil over plugs. The problem it has is that one of the coils wont work. when its not working i have checked and there is no spark from either lead from this coil. But then all of a sudden it will work and the engine is running fine again. and then sure engough it dies. I have replaced this coil with another but this was a 2nd hand coil from the wreckers and this didnt help..... I realised after she picked it up that I could swap over the working coil with the faulty one and see if the problem switches to the other cylinders or not - but i dont have the car here to do that.....

anyway - my question is - can a coil do this? my understanding with a coil is that when its dead - its dead.....

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

It can....it can work when cold and stop when hot...i would do as you suggested and swap it arounf for another cylinder pairing and see if the fault remains. Also test its resistance and compare that to the good ones.

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

Had the same problem on a VL Turbo..
R

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

Could it be a problem with the igniter module?

#5 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

Rory - how did you fix it?

#6 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

crank angle sensor...if it has one

#7 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Id be more inclined to be with viper on this one and try Ignition module, They are usually prime suspects of being Intermittent and sometimes just die all together.

#8 _hypo hb_

_hypo hb_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

check with your local mazda dealer.
i used to work for one and the early bj 323 had a common problem with the ignition coils and they were replacing them free of charge under a ssp (special service program) which should still cover it if your vehicle was in the effected vin range.

dont waste your time, call mazda and get them to check your vin on the mazda system and it will pop up if effected.
will save you money and free coils yeah

Edited by hypo hb, 02 May 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#9 _hypo hb_

_hypo hb_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

how did you go??

#10 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

how did you go??

Mate - thanks heaps for telling me. I just saw your response so I will call Mazda first thing tomorrow. It would be great if they replace them for free!!

Ill let you know the outcome tomorrow.

#11 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

No luck - this one is not in the effected range....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users