#26 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hi Bruce,

That sticker you have put up the 1 is not right,its not shapped right,that photo that john put up of a 72 rocker cover and sticker,is not right at all,its my engine bay of my car.I do wish i could show you the photo's for you to see.

Cheers John.

Hey Frash, your probaly right !!! After a closer inspection the XU isnt right either (Not enough gap) The rare spares one is looking better.........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
The Rare Spares one......^^^^^^^^

PS : The black and white shots are of PWH-161 taken in 1972, the colour shots are the reproductions available at the moment, though i have,nt viewed a Brad Merrick reproduction yet...........

and for christ sake put up some bloody photos Frash :clappin:

#27 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hi all

Brad's are screen printed (as per the originals) and copied from NOS stickers.

Cheers

Bazza

Attached Files

Edited by Bazza, 17 May 2010 - 11:05 AM.

#28 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

Bruce I got a Rare Spares one the other week and putting a side the look of it the quality of the sticker in my opinion is shit.Very very thin and very hard to apply.

#29 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

Brad Merricks dont look to bad (Thanks Baz). At the end of the day you cant beat a genuine item, in saying this were the bloody hell do you find them !!!!!! :dontknow:

#30 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Brads certainly look very close and all most the right reddy/orange as well...........

#31 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Ok I've compaired the Rare Spares one, Brad Merrick's and the original photos (thanks Fly) from 1972 in Photoshop, I corrected the perspective (because the original photos were shot at an angle) and size and the Rare Spares one is almost exactly the same as the original. I'm only talking about the XU-1 bit and not the colour, I didn't look at the 3300 at all. Brad Merrick's is not as close as the Rare Spares.

So if you want the correct decal for your rocker cover get a Rare Spares one, get somebody to copy the XU-1 bit, get the correct colour for the XU-1 bit, get the right 3300 bit, the right dimensions for all the bits and then make a few hundred so we all can have one. I did this about 8 years ago but only got 3 made, this was when the Rare Spares one was all you could get.

ck1971.

#32 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

ok,
this is what i bought from a holden dealer 20 plus years ago as nos, and fitted to my car,
maybe its right maybe its wrong.
Posted Image

#33 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:03 AM

G'day 73BATHXU1,

Thats incorrect also.

Cheers.

#34 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:53 AM

ok,
this is what i bought from a holden dealer 20 plus years ago as nos, and fitted to my car,
Posted Image

That Rocker decal looks the same as mine which is an exact replica of the decal from an 8/73 XU1.
I was told years ago that the colour of the XU-1 is Rocket Red.
It is possible that there were a few variations in the genuine decals due to GMH having more than one supplier.
Cutler Brands in SA supplied a lot of different decals to GMH but they may not have been the only supplier.
Look at seat belts for example GMH used Rainsford, Britax and Cooldrive and they all have different buckle designs.

#35 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:01 AM

G'day 73BATHXU1,

Thats incorrect also.

Cheers.

Frash can you let us know what's wrong with it?

ck1971.

#36 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:07 AM

ok,
Posted Image

It is possible that there were a few variations in the genuine decals due to GMH having more than one supplier.
Cutler Brands in SA supplied a lot of different decals to GMH but they may not have been the only supplier.
Look at seat belts for example GMH used Rainsford, Britax and Cooldrive and they all have different buckle designs.

Yes very possible and even if they were all done by the same company there may have been a substantial lenght of time between the initial batch and later batches and possibly the original artwork may not have been used in later batches, who knows. All that's clear is that the photos that Fly posted show what the 1972 version looked like, you can't argue with that.

ck1971

#37 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hi all

I spent an hour and a half with Brad Merrick today inspecting his repro item with his NOS '72 XU-1 sticker. I have say I was more than suitably impressed with his item. Using a mechanical ruler I found his measurements millimetre perfect and the colours an exact match with the original. He has tracked down the original producers of the stickers and expects to receive a copy of the orignal drawings for his archives.

He expects to offer a '73 sticker in the near future.

Brad's reputation with the XU-1 fraternity is longstanding and he is pedantic about the accuracy of his reproduction parts.

Cheers

Bazza

#38 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Quote.
He expects to offer a '73 sticker in the near future
I hope its sooner rather then later. :spoton:

#39 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

bazza hi what color is the nos 72 sticker is it red or clear in the 3300 and what color will the new rocker stickers be for the 73 xu1s

im curious

regards aldo

#40 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

bazza hi what color is the nos 72 sticker is it red or clear in the 3300 and what color will the new rocker stickers be for the 73 xu1s

im curious

regards aldo

Hi Aldo

'72 clear
'73 will be red

Cheers

Bazza

#41 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

For what it's worth the XU-1 rocker cover transfer is the same Part No. 2822080 in the FEB 1972 edition LJ parts catalogue and the June 1975 edition.

Hhhmmmmmmm......... :surrenderwave:

PS : For what its worth ill be going Brad Merricks for my 72.........

and you 73 guys, good luck !!!! Im still unable to find a nice original engine bay shot of a 73 car........

Edited by FLY_AGAIN_XU-1, 19 May 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#42 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

well where is all the help when we need it, im sure there are owners on here that have untouched 73 rocket cover stickers,, has there seems to be people claiming thay have them,, lets see a pic, dont be affraid to be wrong, i always put my head on the chopping block.

cheers gong

#43 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

well where is all the help when we need it, im sure there are owners on here that have untouched 73 rocket cover stickers,, has there seems to be people claiming thay have them,, lets see a pic, dont be affraid to be wrong, i always put my head on the chopping block.

cheers gong

Yes some pics would be nice,,,,,Aldo,,,,,,anyone. :dontknow:

#44 _8D11_

_8D11_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi all

I spent an hour and a half with Brad Merrick today inspecting his repro item with his NOS '72 XU-1 sticker.

Out of curiousity, was the NOS item a "peel and stick item" or a waterslide transfer (like the old rego labels)?

Also,

I have two good friends who own '73 "Bathurst" XU1s. One purchased his new (Brisbane build) and the other purchased his (Adelaide build) at less than 2 years old. Talking to them, they both agree that their cars originally came with clear (in the 3300) stickers and they believe that the XU-1 section was "pretty close to sebring orange".

#45 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:03 PM

For what it's worth the XU-1 rocker cover transfer is the same Part No. 2822080 in the FEB 1972 edition LJ parts catalogue and the June 1975 edition.

The 2 LJ Parts Catalogues (72, 75) certainly suggests there was only one sticker used on the LJ XU-1,s.........

#46 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:31 AM

I have two good friends who own '73 "Bathurst" XU1s. One purchased his new (Brisbane build) and the other purchased his (Adelaide build) at less than 2 years old. Talking to them, they both agree that their cars originally came with clear (in the 3300) stickers and they believe that the XU-1 section was "pretty close to sebring orange".

Here's something to think about, why would GMH change the decal in the middle of a model run? I'm not saying it couldn't happen but to my thinking a rocker cover decal is not something they would change just to have a new one for a new year. There may have been a change but it would have been because of a change of supplier or something, although I don't think all 73 XU-1s (if any) had the red 3300 decal, some may have but I don't think it was "the 73 decal", just my thoughts on it.

ck1971.

#47 robj

robj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Car:73 GTR XU-1

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

i remembered seeing a 2850S sticker from a torana brochure, somewhere. A quick search found this thread:
2850S rocker cover thread

Its interesting that this looks like it has the red background. I would have thought Holden would have some sort of consistency between engines, but it seems like they don't.

Rob

#48 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

Hi i looked through my torana blue prints from GMH and after searching through hundreds of pages ive found the drawings of the rocker cover sticker for the 73 XU1s

the plans was revised on the 6th of november 72

it shows all the measurements diamentions and colours

the colors are warrigal black

sebring orange for the XU1 in front of oil cap

white around the 3300

and transparent clear in the 3300

i measured the sticker off of my 9/ 73 xu1 just to make sure, and they come up exactly to the mesurments on the blue prints using a ft and inch ruler

i will take some photos of the blue prints over the week end and get my young lad to put them up put them up on sunday or monday

regards aldo

#49 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Well I have purchased 2 of Brad Merricks xu1 decals today and after talking to him this morning he said he has also done some research this week on them.These seem to be the correct ones for the 72/73 xu1s.He's selling the last ones on ebay and said he will not be making anymore.
heres the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWNX:IT
cheers Dane

#50 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

im curious

regards aldo

Hi Aldo

'72 clear
'73 will be red

Cheers

Bazza

ive been following the sticker issue and ive just noticed Danes put up a email to Brads rocker cover stickers Brad now says these now belongs to a 72-73 this is strange because they were advertised as a 72 sticker only as i read Bazza's post and it indicates that the 72 is clear and the 73 is red and Brad says that he is going to make them red in the future so what are the new stickers going to be red or clear Brads answer now says the 72-73 are going to be clear :dontknow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users