xu1 tappet cover decal?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

bazza hi what color is the nos 72 sticker is it red or clear in the 3300 and what color will the new rocker stickers be for the 73 xu1s

im curious

regards aldo

Hi Aldo

'72 clear
'73 will be red

Cheers

Bazza

ive been following the sticker issue and ive just noticed Danes put up a email to Brads rocker cover stickers Brad now says these now belongs to a 72-73 this is strange because they were advertised as a 72 sticker only as i read Bazza's post and it indicates that the 72 is clear and the 73 is red and Brad says that he is going to make them red in the future so what are the new stickers going to be red or clear Brads answer now says the 72-73 are going to be clear :dontknow:

Hi Trev
There is ovously a big grey area in theses decals as Brad has said in his ebay ad there is still no proof and has not been confirmed on this forum.I have loved these cars from my early teens but have only started to research them in the last few years and can not beleive there is so much inconsistency's (knowledge)in various areas of them.
The way I see it at the moment is you look at the parts book as stated by Spack and Flyxu1 and there is only 1 part number,I have a June 1975 parts book and its the same.Maybe there was suppliers that made them slightly different. :dontknow:
At the end of the day I look at what is availible at the moment,I(we) have 3 opions,Rare spares that I purchased a few weeks ago that I wouldn't piss on,then The guy up in Queensland (decalKing)I think,that I can't comment because I havn't seen them,then Brads.Thats it!!Unless anyone can tell us about someone else thats doing them.
I will be looking forward to Aldo's pics when he puts them up,it will be interesting to see why the parts book only say 1.
cheers

Edited by sunburst73-xu1, 22 May 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#52 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hi i looked through my torana blue prints from GMH and after searching through hundreds of pages ive found the drawings of the rocker cover sticker for the 73 XU1s

the plans was revised on the 6th of november 72

it shows all the measurements diamentions and colours

the colors are warrigal black

sebring orange for the XU1 in front of oil cap

white around the 3300

and transparent clear in the 3300

i measured the sticker off of my 9/ 73 xu1 just to make sure, and they come up exactly to the mesurments on the blue prints using a ft and inch ruler

i will take some photos of the blue prints over the week end and get my young lad to put them up put them up on sunday or monday

regards aldo

G/day Aldo

Hopefully when you post the pics of the 6/11/72 revision of the transfer blueprints it might settle some of the dust on this issue.

Probably fits that they would have revised the rocker cover transfer for the '73 XU1, after all they revised the interior trim, the chrome highlights and the brake warning light position on the instrument fascia, the exterior paint colours and maybe other minor updates that I can't think of ATM.
There is only one Part No. assigned to the XU1 rocker cover transfer so as far as GMH would have been concerned the updated transfer would supersede the previous version and would be the correct replacement part for all LJ 202 XU1's.
That said GMH could or would not have anticipated that in the future there would be so many XU1 enthusiasts that want to restore their XU1's to (or as close as possible to) factory original condition.

Cheers
Dave

#53 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hi,
Here are some photos of the GMH original blue prints.
As promised.
We made sure the dates are read able.
We have taken out the measurements for safetly reasons.
Regards Aldo

#54 robj

robj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Car:73 GTR XU-1

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Aldo,

Thanks for the pics, there great. I suspect the revision to the sticker is for the different types of rocker cover. In the first pic, it states "was 1.00R". This is probably the radius for the oil breather at the back, on the 73 covers it would need to be a larger radius cutout. This would be DIM B in the second pic. If you could confirm this, that would show what may be the only difference between the 2 stickers.

I can't quite make out the date of the first issue, it looks like 17 MAR 71. Seems like they plan these things early :-)

/Rob

#55 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Aldo just to comfirm on the xu1 decal part number is it 2822080?If it is this just concretes that there was just 1 colour for the xu1 decal.
cheers Dane

#56 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

rob hi i looked at the prints for u and DIM B is 120 R

and the date is 17 march 1971

ready for the 73 rocker change

regards aldo

#57 _flyxu1_

_flyxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

Aldo good pictures
looks like 73 is clear judging by photos
good stuff
you wouldnt have by any chance blue prints to the sticker on the side of lucus battery
as i am guessing you have this and i am thinking that people on forum will need these ?
as these are not on market as yet?
i would take a few of your hands
grantley

and sure other members would be interested to

#58 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

FLY XU1 grantly hi yes i do have paper work for the lucas battery

i also have an original lucas battery in my 9/73 xu1with the sticker in exellent condition

ill put up a thread to see how many forum members would want a remake of the exact lucas battery stickers

it should be a good idea to make a few,

im not sure weather any one has made them before

please tell me if they have been made

regards aldo

#59 _HZUte-efi-VS5L_

_HZUte-efi-VS5L_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

Gday Everyone.

My name is Jason. Owner of Stickthis Automotive Decals and Stripes. Many will know me but many wont.

I am just yet another supplier of the 3300XU1 and 2850S rocker decals etc etc. All screen printed.

I get asked the question many times about what is what. Answer is I do not know.

This is quite an interesting topic.

Here is a link to the ones I have been doing for a while now:
http://stickthisdeca...products_id=109

Interested on peoples thoughts. Its seems that the length of the black may not be long enough?

Baically I want to get the right. No doubt other sellers want to do the same. I want to also do them all. including the 2600S which we are on the hunt for some pics etc.

Im sorry if I maybe stealing this thread. But its not my intentions. I already do a wide range of screen printed decals and want to get everything 100%.

Cheers
Jason

PS aldo. I havent done the Lucas Battery but have been requested for it before. If you need someone to do them (screen printed) than let me know.

#60 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hi all

Back to the original topic:

In my earlier post, I mentioned that Brad Merrick intends to produce a rocker cover decal with the 3300 in red for the '73 XU-1. I assumed that because my car had a sticker with the 3300 in red and that although a repro, that it was nonetheless a faithful copy of a GMH part that was used at some time or other. This was an incorrect assumption on my part - Brad was actually talking about the "XU-1" part of the sticker being printed in red as well as orange.

Brad's exhaustive research concludes that there never has been a GMH issued XU-1 rocker cover sticker with the 3300 in red.

In summary, it now appears that all LJ XU-1 rocker cover stickers have the 3300 in clear and the XU-1 in orange. The only question that remains is whether a sticker was produced later with the XU-1 in red. Brad has a NOS GMH sticker that was purchased in the late '70s shortly before the sticker was discontinued. It has the XU-1 in red but it is unclear whether this was an official GMH revision or simply a poor colour rendition by the printer.

Sorry that I may have contributed to us debating at crossed purposes and that this underscores the point that we need to be certain that we are actually talking about the same thing.

Aldo - thanks for posting the drawings. The only question that I have about them is: 'What part is actually being amended?" Could it be simply that a change to the sticker was required to accommodate the cut-out radius for the revised PCV point?

I hope this clarifies matters.

Cheers

Bazza

#61 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

HI ive been reading john and brads issue regarding the head linning for the 71 xu1 bathurst ck

i own a 9/71 ck xu1 totally unrestored 1 owner with very low miles, brisbane built

i went and looked at the head linning to day and its roebuck, black of course

i also have a 8/71 torana s white coupe with bone interior that i put up on the forum a few months back to see how much it was worth a little rusty but never been tampered with

this car is an adelaide built and it also has the roebuck head linning in bone,i think the photos of the white s coupe are still on the forum with a photo of the head linning

i also rang a good friend who has quite a collection of cars who also ownes a 10/71 ck xu1 he checked his torana and that to has the roebuck head linning

i dont think the change was in 6/71 thats a good 4 months late, it is possible though,

i personally dont think so

my 2 bobs worth

regards aldo

#62 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

G/day Bazza

From the blueprints Aldo posted it would appear that the only change to the transfer was to suit the revised PCV connection (raised pressing) of the new rocker cover for the 1973 engines.
I have a GMH dealer service letter that states the reason the rocker cover was changed was because of continuing problems with oil leaks where the metal tube/sleeve joins the rocker cover.

Cheers
Dave.

#63 _flyxu1_

_flyxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

hi there
its cut and dry about the stickers
the blueprint is the bible
i think that aldo you should repro the stickers for the rocket covers and batterys because i think there will be a few old stickers in the bin
what do you think aldo will you make some of these ?
grantley

i will have a few of these

#64 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

G/day Bazza

From the blueprints Aldo posted it would appear that the only change to the transfer was to suit the revised PCV connection (raised pressing) of the new rocker cover for the 1973 engines.
I have a GMH dealer service letter that states the reason the rocker cover was changed was because of continuing problems with oil leaks where the metal tube/sleeve joins the rocker cover.

Cheers
Dave.

Hi Dave

So there we have it - there had to be a logical reason for the difference in the dimensions. The PVC connection point was the only thing that I could think of.

Thanks and cheers

Bazza

#65 _HZUte-efi-VS5L_

_HZUte-efi-VS5L_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

hi there
its cut and dry about the stickers
the blueprint is the bible
i think that aldo you should repro the stickers for the rocket covers and batterys because i think there will be a few old stickers in the bin
what do you think aldo will you make some of these ?
grantley

i will have a few of these

If Aldo is not keen on doing them I am. Or Aldo if you need someone to do them for you let me know. Im happy to buy the blueprints off you if this is what it takes to get them on the market. I will have them on the market as per original within 3 weeks of getting the drawings. As said before I currently do them but it seems that may not be 100%.

Cheers
Jason

#66 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

i,m up for the stickers,
please aldo,we need your help.
cheers craig

#67 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

i would be more than happy to get one,, and the battiery one would be good to.

cheers gong

#68 _brad_

_brad_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hi,
Here are some photos of the GMH original blue prints.
As promised.
We made sure the dates are read able.
We have taken out the measurements for safetly reasons.
Regards Aldo

Hi all,

The original GM transfer which I copied was a known 3-piece original. And it's exactly like these drawings. I've compared the meaasurement of the black section and my transfer is also exactly 1.6" .
Black background, orange XU-1 at front, white boarder around the 3300 and clear centre of the 3300.

I'm not familiar of how to upload pics here, but my transfer pictures are on the website.
I'm happy to email close up pics to someone if you know how to put them here

Brad

#69 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi Brad

Email them to me and I will post them up for you..

cheers
Mick

#70 robj

robj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Car:73 GTR XU-1

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for replying with the extra dimensions Aldo.

I did a quick measure on my 73 rocker cover and 2.4" diameter seems to be right to go around the newer type PCV connection. I suppose 2" diameter is all that is needed to be cutout to clear the older type.

With the dates on the drawing, what i was surprised about was that the original drawing issue date was 17 march 1971. Thats a long time before Jan 72 when the first LJ xu1 came out. I wonder if Holden was considering putting the 202 in the late 71 LC xu1's. Sort of makes sense as they put the 173S in the GTRs. Maybe they thought the 186 CK engines where a safer option.

#71 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Pics rec'd from Brad..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers
Mick

#72 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Hi all

Brad Merrick's LJ XU-1 sticker is an excellent copy of an NOS example that accords exactly with the drawings posted by Aldo.

Cheers

Bazza

#73 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

G/day Bazza

Cheers
Dave.

Further to the above, I dug out the service letter. Dated November 1972. The new rocker cover and PCV grommet were introduced into production from Eng # QL243871.
This means that most November '72 XU1's (but not all) should have had the new rocker cover and decal.

Cheers
Dave

#74 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

back to the bloody stickers,

pardon the use of words,i would like to know what aldo thinks of the replica sticker that brad has done,is it orange enough etc,

aldo owns a 9th 73 xu1 in oridginal condition ,so i think his opinion on this is important,whether it upsets anyone or not ,we need to know what he thinks.

also some should mind there own buisness.

#75 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

The pics look great however what about the measurement that's the key to making a true example and Aldo are your stickers going to be red or clear :tomaatit:

All jokes a side put me on the list
l'll take two sets cause blue prints have to be correct i want a set that looks the same measure the same as the originals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users