Special Interest vehicle concession registration (club rego)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hi

Im looking at registering my torana after being off the road for 5 years. Its a V8 and the cost for standard rego is about $1000. Im looking at the option of registering it as a 'special interest vehicle'.

can anyone here tell me how much this is (including CTP)? thanks

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

which state are you in? for qld its a little under $200 for the year, but you have to be a member of a car club, the QTCC does a deal if you pay for 2 years membership up front they will help you out. Just be careful of the restrictions on having club rego. S.I.V info here

#3 _73LJS_

_73LJS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

Whilst we are on this topic....does anyone know if the Special Interest Rego is a set fee for all vehicles no matter how many cylinders?
I have an LJ which I had registered on Special Interest as a six cylinder and just recently upgrade to an 8 cylinder. I have received the new rego paperwork in the mail but the amount owing came back as nil. I would have thought, based on the usual tiered rego system, that the V8 would have cost more?

#4 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Whilst we are on this topic....does anyone know if the Special Interest Rego is a set fee for all vehicles no matter how many cylinders?
I have an LJ which I had registered on Special Interest as a six cylinder and just recently upgrade to an 8 cylinder. I have received the new rego paperwork in the mail but the amount owing came back as nil. I would have thought, based on the usual tiered rego system, that the V8 would have cost more?

cheers for the info. I had a quick read up and it seams that its not governed by the number of cylinders - a first for QLD transport.

73LJS - Im about to get my Lc with 308 rego'd soon. Did you get this done recently (v8 rego). any hurdles I should know about? How does the LJ go with the new donk?

Edited by holdon, 25 May 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#5 _73LJS_

_73LJS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

cheers for the info. I had a quick read up and it seams that its not governed by the number of cylinders - a first for QLD transport.

73LJS - Im about to get my Lc with 308 rego'd soon. Did you get this done recently (v8 rego). any hurdles I should know about? How does the LJ go with the new donk?

Holdon it goes great! I love driving it and the biggest problem or hurdle that I have had so far has been finding excuses that fit the regulations for Special Interest registration so as to use it!

I registered mine about 3 - 4 weeks ago and have run with the injected 5Lt with the manual T5 box.

I built it as closely as I could to the law as far as I could tell and as advised by the guy that did my compliancing....some of the Qld TPT rulings do seem a bit confusing at times. I basically kept in touch with the certifier the whole way through the build and then once I had it completed he did his final inspection, including physical brake testing, and gave me the blue compliance plate and the required paperwork for Qld TPT.
The Qld TPT part was actually the easiest part. I just presented the certifiers paperwork along with a copy of the original rego paperwork....they did a quick vehicle inspection which basically involved the checking of the engine number and the blue plate, no going over the pits or anything like that, just all done by the guy from the office. They then gave me a receipt that the conversion had been registered with them to use until the new rego paperwork was posted out. Simple as that!

What have you done with your build? Did you do the brake upgrade, change the seatbelts (one of the rulings that I found rather strange and annoying) etc?

#6 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Holdon it goes great! I love driving it and the biggest problem or hurdle that I have had so far has been finding excuses that fit the regulations for Special Interest registration so as to use it!

I registered mine about 3 - 4 weeks ago and have run with the injected 5Lt with the manual T5 box.

I built it as closely as I could to the law as far as I could tell and as advised by the guy that did my compliancing....some of the Qld TPT rulings do seem a bit confusing at times. I basically kept in touch with the certifier the whole way through the build and then once I had it completed he did his final inspection, including physical brake testing, and gave me the blue compliance plate and the required paperwork for Qld TPT.
The Qld TPT part was actually the easiest part. I just presented the certifiers paperwork along with a copy of the original rego paperwork....they did a quick vehicle inspection which basically involved the checking of the engine number and the blue plate, no going over the pits or anything like that, just all done by the guy from the office. They then gave me a receipt that the conversion had been registered with them to use until the new rego paperwork was posted out. Simple as that!

What have you done with your build? Did you do the brake upgrade, change the seatbelts (one of the rulings that I found rather strange and annoying) etc?

Yeh finding reasons to drive the car would be the hard part! I guess 'tuning' or 'testing repairs' would be the main reasons!!

My build is a 308 with celica 5spd. As far as brakes I have put slotted XU1 spec width disks with racing pads. The engineer I spoke to said that I just needed to put "upgraded" brakes on. He said the loop hole is that upgraded can just mean "newer". So LJ brakes (same thing i know but its newer than my LC) or xu1 means im complient. Ill see how these go and if they arnt to my satisfaction ill do a propper conversion. I have retractable seat blets, and collapsable steering column (lx knuckles). From here he said I just need to make the car roadworthy and pass a brake test.

So it sounds like its still pretty relaxed with getting the blue plate for the v8 which is good.

#7 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

There is a difference between 4, 6 and 8 (turbo counts as 8 :P ) so they must just be letting your rego run until renewal before hitting you the higher premium.

Remember, you can go on any clubs run - not just your own. For example, QTCC have Acacia Ridge fridays, Harry's saturdays (?) and Ferry Rd Fridays, so ANYONE with SIV rego can go at those times :D If your club says you can ONLY go on their runs, find a new club.

Grant..

#8 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

There is a difference between 4, 6 and 8 (turbo counts as 8 :P ) so they must just be letting your rego run until renewal before hitting you the higher premium.

Remember, you can go on any clubs run - not just your own. For example, QTCC have Acacia Ridge fridays, Harry's saturdays (?) and Ferry Rd Fridays, so ANYONE with SIV rego can go at those times :D If your club says you can ONLY go on their runs, find a new club.

Grant..

Just to clarify, you can attend any other Incorporated clubs run. Just something to be aware of.

Cheers,

T

#9 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

Are you allowed to for instance take your car for a test run down road and back?.. its something we may look into when we get the dinosaur out of the garage

#10 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

i feel sorry for you guys south australia has the best club rego in australia v8 is around $140 a year and we can drive our cars anywhere for 90 days a year at any time as long as your log book is filled out

Edited by bullitljv8, 27 May 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#11 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

Edit - Boomfunk - Certainly can mate. You can test and tune within a 15km radius of the registered address. Test and tune does not include stopping at the shops for a litre of milk and the sunday paper though.

Edited by Big T, 27 May 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#12 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Grant..

Grant could this mean that if belonged to a club here in Moranbah and was on SIV rego that i would be able to travel to say Mackay or Rockhampton (and even Brizvagas) to go on an run.

Mort

#13 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

Yes.  You should travel by a reasonably direct route though.  You could go to a VTC club run if you drove reasonably straight there.

Or plan a trip incorporating a number of stops for different club runs or club meetings :D

Grant..

#14 _usmucslecar_

_usmucslecar_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

i feel sorry for you guys south australia has the best club rego in australia v8 is around $140 a year and we can drive our cars anywhere for 90 days a year at any time as long as your log book is filled out

OH really? So you can have club rego on your V8LJ?

later Dave

#15 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hmmmmmm,I recently transferred my UC to club rego in QLD and came back with little change from $500??? My new rego sticker just came,along with the Suncorp CTP paperwork and $333.40 of that bill was insurers premium ($269) stamp duty,stat insurance scheme levy, nominal defendant levy,hospital and emergency services levy and admin fees.......WTF??? So,it did make the 'rego' part under $200 for the year but the rest was never mentioned.........My rego paperwork says it is registered under Special interest so why so much? Ideas??

#16 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Wait,ok,just read aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the posts about it.......best I get on the phone to my CTP insurer and Dept Transport..........

#17 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

DMR has not put your CTP on Category 5 hence the inflated cost. They do this all the time. We (QTCC) have an info sheet for people putting their car on SIV. It includes the approximate costs, responsibilities of the member regarding SIV rego and a form to fill out, sign and give back to us stating that they accept those conditions.

#18 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

My other car costs me about $160 for 12mths rego. Plus $50 p/a for club membership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users