painting floor pan black ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

i'm almost ready to paint the underside of the floor pan, i'm going for the original
type of look minus running gear. so should it be done in flat gmh black or a semi
gloss black. also what would be best, acrylic or 2pac.

#2 _Ben_

_Ben_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

Not certain but i think its a sub-frame black, which i think is semi-gloss.

someone will need to confirm as i have no idea

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:50 AM

I thought the under body was the same colour as the top or GMH chassis black.

Edited by TerrA LX, 29 May 2010 - 12:52 AM.

#4 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

Thanx Ben/TerrA LX,
there was a lot of over spray from the factory colour, but not fully covered in it.
looks like gmh chassis black it is then.cheers.

#5 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

if your painting acyrlic try to get the acrylic gmh black as the two brands i brought are enamel and the 3 paint types don't like to mix well

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

If you want the quality of the paint on the underside of the car to actually last for a while, go 2k. If you just want to paint it so it looks respectable on a hoist and you don't feel disappointed when you get under the car to work on it, acrylic will be fine.

#7 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Siltz is all im using, its black, resistant to stone chips the for unwanted rust starters !!!

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

They actually aren't painted underneath from factory, unless you call a mixture of GMH-black and overspray painted!!! I just did mine like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 June 2010 - 08:05 PM.

#9 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

The POR15 ,or its equivalent KBS make a satin black that you can use for the underbody. Its pretty robust and should resist chipping better than anything else.Bit expensive but worth it. Personally i would avoid the thick tar underbody deadner, cant see whats goin on under it, can trap moisture and looks generally crap. Damned hard to remove too if needed. Oh yeah the POR/KBS is sprayable and will go over undercoat.

#10 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

they used GMH black. Its non durable paint....the label states something like this

Its only good for guide coats !

You can get 2k made up as a semi gloss that looks great

#11 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

thanx fellas, as i'am after the a very neat long lasting look, i guess flat black would be no good for what i need.
after consideration i'am going to go with the advise of the 2k black semi gloss, i also was thinking of going orange
underneath as with the top. but after seeing one done i personally did'nt go much on it, cheers.

Edited by A9XOSS, 03 June 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#12 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

my paint wiil be delivered on monday, after speaking to my supplier (AUTOLAC) at cardiff. i'am going to get both so to speak, he's making up a black satin finish 2k he called it LC3 i think. exactly the same stuff as (ARB) use on there bull bars very hard wearing anyway so it should be fine. thanx again.

#13 _A9XOSS_

_A9XOSS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

my products turned up today to paint under bodyfloor pan, its called LK40 polyurethane not LC3.
will post pics once all done.

#14 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

They actually aren't painted underneath from factory, unless you call a mixture of GMH-black and overspray painted!!! I just did mine like this:

Posted Image

sh*t thats just what mine looks like until tomorrow,,, and whats with the left rail on these things ?? mine was the very same too i guess everyone used it to jack the car up at some point, but why not the right side Posted Image

#15 _stu.slr_

_stu.slr_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

lol, same with me even. seems strong but not so strong for jacking. suspension arm pivot point seems better. drivers side is for driving.

#16 nomaro338

nomaro338

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Name:jody
  • Car:lx

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi #1 A9XOSS 

I would recomend doing the underside in 2k , if you buy normal gloss 2k you add a flattening base ( 60% black 40% flattening base )and can adjust the amount of gloss you require

cheers nomaro33

#17 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

I did the floor with Acrylic Midnight Black with a flatening base on the A9X, it came up perfect. Did a friends in 2K and found the more coats I sprayed the glossier it got, it also had a flatening base as well, the Acrylic looked heaps better.

#18 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hi #1 A9XOSS 

I would recomend doing the underside in 2k , if you buy normal gloss 2k you add a flattening base ( 60% black 40% flattening base )and can adjust the amount of gloss you require

cheers nomaro33

This thread is nearly 3 years old. It's probably long since painted.

#19 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

lol 3 years on and i still have that can of gmh black :)

#20 _ohhgeee_

_ohhgeee_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

i know its an old thread and all but im upto this part on my build atm and was wondering how you guys cleaned the underbody in the first place??
i dont have a rottiserie and the cars not in a rolling state so cant send it off to get blasted in anyway but im keen and just want a neat look.
i do have the car jacked up pretty high though so there is room to work.

there that bitumen looking crap, alot of grease, grime, the odd paint and afew other things that god will only know.
how do i get it off??????
ive tried scraping, degreasing, girnie and alot of elbow grease but im not getting anywhere..
please help
someone suggested hiring a high pressure steam cleaner is this an option?

#21 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

You will find a paint scraper will remove most of the build up, it's upto you from there to get on your back for the hard part.

#22 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

I started with degreasing, high pressure is better. Then using an old sharp wood chisel scraping as much off as you can, then I sand blasted at home but others use the wire wheel to finish.

Marty

#23 _ohhgeee_

_ohhgeee_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

even after alot of scraping theres still a layer of grease or grime that i cant fully get off enough to paint over though..

#24 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Have you tried thinners or wax and grease remover?

#25 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

kero....
but sand blasting or a steam pressure cleaner works quicker...messier but quicker lol
when i did it for a living that's all we used

Edited by Quagmire, 19 August 2013 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users