Delco HEI into Holden 6 How-To

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#51 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:09 AM

So I found that I am not getting a spark at crank speed. When the gear turns faster there is a spark, which is interesting.

I took the dissy to an auto sparky who replaced all the major electrical components and said there was no change.. plot thickens. He reckons its something mechanical in the dissy?

#52 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Im getting a spark now! It appears that the stator was a fraction out.

#53 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Was gunna say if your only gettin spark at cranking speed then you havent  joined the start & run wired together at the key to give 12v all the time but think you may have sorted that bit!

#54 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

I bought two of these jeep dissys and I have spent hours trying to get it to work with my 186. I am very patient and tried every single combination the cap turns 90 deg tried that and they don't work! When the cap is in the alternate position as described in this thread, the stator and reluctor don't line up, however when I did this I managed to get my engine to run but it wouldn't idle and sounded like one piston was out. Im not going to go into full detail, but don't even bother trying one of these. Stick with the bosch, 

I still want a better dissy/ignition but these are not the answer.

#55 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

You set where the stator and rotor lien up in relation to the body/cap by moving the drive gear on the cam a tooth either way?

#56 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hey Bomber, When the rotor and plug terminals line up the stator and reluctor points should also line up.

In the photo the rotor and plug terminals are aligned but as can be seen here the stator and reluctor are miles out. This happens when the dissy cap is turned 90 deg into the second locator (when the wires are above the vac advance not the wires coming out of the housing of the dissy)

dissy_zps0ccee7bf.jpg

#57 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

Why are you turning the dizzy cap 90 degrees to the second locator?

That would probably be ok on a V8, but with a six obviously its never going to work, you would only be able to turn it in 60 degree increments otherwise exactly what your picturing will happen. 

After all, on a v8 you have one stator lug every 45 degrees, on a six you have one stator lug every 60 degrees....360/8= 45 360/6=60.

Is there any reason your not just using the dizzy cap where its supposed to go?

Cheers. 

#58 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

Finally somebody who knows what I am saying, it doesn't make sense does it Bomber.

oldjohno said to put the wires above the vac advance not above where the wires come out of the dissy. But this puts the phasing out.

Anyway I tried both combinations and I had poor results with both cap set ups.

Yes the reason why I moved the cap was because it wasn't running properly with the cap in the correct position, so I tried to put it in the second locator, (which made no sense but I tried it anyway, and it did work, but still not running correctly. Sounds like its missing, coughing ect.)

Thats the nightmare Bomber, not the modifying the body to fit, thats easy.

Thats right, the pics in the first post show the cap fitted wrongly. The two notches in the body are a real trap. They're 90 deg apart so while it wouldn't make any difference with a V8 with a six it certainly does.

As OG says it doesn't matter where No 1 is but most people make the forwardmost terminal No 1 simply because it's easy to remember, plus it keeps the wiring fairly tidy.

Edited by glennhailstone, 02 February 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#59 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

So nothing lines up in the normal position either?

#60 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Yes, in the normal position everything lines up, and in theory it should work, but it doesn't. Well it does, but it sound like something is very wrong, so I shut the engine off.

#61 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Obvious question but you made sure the timing was right?

#62 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

I checked the timing, it was miles out, and barely running.

#63 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:33 AM

So.....set it properly?

#64 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

I tried, but it was too far out. Like 180 deg or something. I dont know but to far to adjust?

#65 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

You probably had the distributer a tooth or two out.

#66 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

Oh ok, can you please explain further. I don't know what you mean.

#67 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

When you install the distributer you have to make sure the drive tooth is meshed in with the cam gear in the right spot.

Best way is get #1 to tdc on compression, and slot the dissy in so the timing marks between the otor button and body line up.

The dissy shaft will rotate about 45 degrees or so as you slide it in, so you will need to allow for this so that t lines up when fitted.

Might take a couple of goes.

Could prolly do a quik vid tonight if you need.

#68 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

What I've been doing is setting my balancer at 12 deg BTDC on compression, and then I drop the dissy in so the the rotor is pointing to number one plug. Not a spark plug post on the cap.

The Bosch one goes alright when I do this but not the Delco one. Maybe your right, I know what you mean. I'll have another go at it.

#69 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

Attached File  diz.JPG   97.24K   5 downloads

in the picture you can see that the rotor lines up with the mark on the body,as well as this the reluctor teeth are inline

with the pick up,this is how it should look when installed with #1 cylinder on TDC.

If it does not look like that then as already said,a tooth out either way will cause the rotor/reluctor to be to the

left or the right of the mark depending on which way the tooth  "is out".

One other thing that is a distant possibility is that the reluctor was staked on in the wrong place.

Easy checked,just see how the rotor lines up with mark on body and how the reluctor teeth line up with pick up.

#70 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Oh ok thanks. What about if I set mine up at 12 BTDC. Do I still use that mark.

It runs fine with the Bosch, its the Delco Jeep dissy Im having problems with. 

#71 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

When you set it up at 12 degrees with the rotor button pointing toward number one spark plug you must also ensure that the body is at the right angle so when the cap is on number one plug lead is in line with the rotor button....

#72 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

mqdefault.jpg

#73 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

Sorry man i cant make out shit from that pick?

#74 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:47 AM

Oh haha, its supposed to be a video!

#75 _glennhailstone_

_glennhailstone_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Holden 6 Delco Distributor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users