Josh's Ute

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#1 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:00 PM

As opposed to the previous thread heres the contorversial part 2

This is the ute as it stands today minus interior...

minus engine and gearbox

Posted Image

and the VN Berlina 5l V8

plans are to swippity swap into the ute i've done my home work and off we go
im on the lookout for a T5 V8 box as i have everything else that would be the cheaper then convert to Auto

I bought some Primer and GMH black today to give the guards and firewall a quick spray i will be painting it myself as i want to learn and the engine bay no-one really has to see
i have some vinyl to repaint the dash and rooflining and visors as there brown... the driers seat got dropped off to my local trimmer for the sides to be fixed i have a centre console from a state-o... a new passenger door and a block of wood to knock out the dent and my uncle will be doing the rest of the work...

I also dropped the manifold off at the powdercoaters to be powdercoated green :)

Posted Image

Edited by gen3torrie, 29 June 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#2 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hey josh your post says
This is the ute as it stands today minus interior...

minus engine and gearbox

I still see a engine in there.

Good to see your getting rid of the six pack and getting a 8
Fixed the damage up the side yet?

Good luck with your ute and the thread :)
Chears Neil

#3 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

ok gotta get some pictures together

started prepping my engine bay

passenger door is half way repaired this weekend minor rust repair on the bottom knock the dent out

hopefully i can find anotehr ute with a 308 even if its rusted to the shithouse as i need the engine mounts and i want some of the side of it as the ute has taken a nasty hit in the side
engine mounts are needed
coz the previous nub nub owner welded commodore V6 mounts on the frame... DOHHHH

ordered my Haltech 2000 fully programmable ECU today just gotta find a suitable chip... i'd say a HSV one would do the trick???

the previous exhaust system is going to be modified to suit the V8 which according to my sponsor/mechanic shouldnt be to hard
undecided on what cam yet i was thing
crane 286 but then i was thinking that would be more suited to a stroker motor
so what would be better???

running stndard compression mind you and i have frOck all idea on cams

the heads may cop a port and polish too if my mate is up to it and not busy

#4 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

A Crane 286 cam is way to savage for a stock injected 5.0ltr engine, port & polish isn't needed either unless your building a big power engine, these heads flow excellent in standard form. These mods are better suited to a high compression engine or 355 with other mods. Not having a go at you, just trying to save you some coin. Do a bit more research into modding these engines before spending your money & you'll be wiser for it.

#5 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

hey itchy

you owe me three cartons so far

see i do keep tabs lol

and you can grab the monts off any hq-z

acually the sedans/wagon would be better for you as they are only a "half" chassis and the ute/pv chassis are woth $$

#6 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

yeah thats what i was saying about the cam

what would be more suited??? to give me a little more power under my foot?

#7 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

lol
power

POWER
you CAN'T HANDLE any more power

just put it in get it going and frocking enjoy driving the pos

#8 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

ordered my Haltech 2000 fully programmable ECU today just gotta find a suitable chip... i'd say a HSV one would do the trick???

Why do you want a chip if it is a programmable ECU ? A GMH chip won't fit in a Haltech anyway ..............

#9 _uncleian_

_uncleian_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Why do you want a chip if it is a programmable ECU ? A GMH chip won't fit in a Haltech anyway ..............

Its to go with the one he has on his shoulder.

Because everytime he opens his mouth his brain is still in nuetral and people pick him up on it.

See you at T-FEST Josh................Posted Image

#10 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

Its all so called foot in mouth disease???

#11 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

yeah thats what i was saying about the cam

what would be more suited??? to give me a little more power under my foot?

My Orchid Torana has a mildly worked injected 5.0lt & i run a Crane 268 cam to keep it reliable & driveable. It also meant heavier valve springs weren't needed too. It goes noticeably better than what it did stock standard. If you only want to change the cam, you're better off staying conservative on the profile you choose.

#12 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

like i said dont much about computer age crap...

crane 268 do you have specs LH what do you mean by Mildly worked???

all i want is something a bit better then standard as its going to be my new daily drive... fuel is not an issue if your wondering...

#13 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

I don't have specs on the cam, maybe check the Crane website for these. The engine in my Orchid LH has the 268 Crane cam, 0.030" over flat top pistons & 0.020" machined off the head faces to raise the compression, manifold port matched to the heads & 71mm Yella Terra throttle body so really it hasn't had alot done. I retained the stock valve springs & apart from refacing them the only other work done to the heads was a set of guides & three angle valve seat grind. This engine still runs a factory VN ECU & memcal & set at the factory timing spec it has never detonated or run poorly but still goes alot better than standard. It's no drag car but bang for buck it's a good combo built on a reasonable budget & i've used it as a daily driver with surprisingly good fuel economy.

#14 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

sweet as im doing some homework know...

me and quagmire sprayed the inner guards black today :) they look alright...

gonna get stuck into painting the firewall tomorrow im still chasing engine mounts for the subframe im hoping a wreckers will sell me some

the interior is all pulled out now...

im not sure on which wheels i should go though

and same thing with the cam as LH SLR 3300 suggested most probably a 268, decent exhaust system and a Haltech should do alright

if anyone knows of a T5 for a V8 clutch and flywheel is for sale please let me know as i need one

thats it for know...

#15 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

Put GTS wheels and Sandman stripes on it.
Cant go wrong.

#16 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

or buy my hotwires and power steering lol

#17 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Put GTS wheels and Sandman stripes on it.
Cant go wrong.

coz of its bright green colour?

#18 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

Yep.

Plus I like Sandman utes.

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

Why waste money on the Haltec???

The standard Delco will do everything you want to do.

Haltec is only really needed if your chasing big big hp or running boost from what i have gathered.

Cheers.

#20 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

Why waste money on the Haltec???

The standard Delco will do everything you want to do.

Haltec is only really needed if your chasing big big hp or running boost from what i have gathered.

Cheers.

I agree, plus the money spent on the Haltech can buy a decent cam, lifters, timing chain kit & all the gaskets needed to give the 5.0ltr the extra go you're after. You may even have enough coin left over to put toward a decent exhaust system for the car.

#21 _WBTUNNA_

_WBTUNNA_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

Joshy boy, got some spare VT grey tops if you want to buy them. I have green top 42lb injectors now.

#22 _WBTUNNA_

_WBTUNNA_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Haltech is a waste of time for a stocker too. Alan gibbs will be retuning my delco. Ive been on a chipmaster Kalmaker tune with the 355 for 4 1/2 years without a single problem, but will need a retune after the rebuild with come racing ttb manifold, solid cam, girdle and head mods..

#23 _TJ308_

_TJ308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Bomber is Right about the Haltec u dont need 1
go for a Crane 284 the 286 is to big for a 5.0L

#24 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

286 went great in 2 FLY's 308...

#25 _TJ308_

_TJ308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Dan was it a stocker? my mate had a VS 5.0L and put a 286 in it and the guy who tuned it said it was to big for a stock Motor he would of got more power with a smaller cam.
dunno if comp has alot to do with it but 308's have higher Comp then 304's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users