rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

286 needs comp.

Edited by rodomo, 28 July 2010 - 12:09 AM.

#28 _TJ308_

_TJ308_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

BTW i have a new Crane 284 here never used if ure interested cheaper then buying a new 1 also have lifters and u will need them

#29 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

how much you chasing for it TJ???? 284 would be perfect yeah i know i need new lifters and springs...

i was chasing a Tremec 5 speed but didn't have luck finding one... so i ended up getting a getrag290 out of a VS but the guy didnt wanna seperate the motor from the box so i got the ECU with 215i chip in it (got no idea how that would power up a 185i motor) and loom for $1500 so my VP 165i and T700 will be for sale soon...

Anyway got speaking to dattoman and found out the Getrag would need big tunnel mods... so thats what happened

picture time...
Posted Image

we started of with measurements dropped the motor in and tacked the mounts into place...
Posted Image

Posted Image

started off with the engine mounts as the previous owner welded in commodore V6 mounts instead of getting the CRS kit... dummy fitted it in marked out were we were gonna cut the tunnel and got the drill and tin snips out...

which gave us this hole...
Posted Image

Posted Image

motor came back out to have the mounts welded back into place...

Posted Image

then my mate welding the mounts in...

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats the tunnel done for now... the sheetmetal is off at a fabrication place being rolled so it'll look like brand new...

the motor and box went back in... ( i think in total space of 2 days we pulled the motor and box out about 10 friggin times)

then the x-memba we started off with a piece of 2mm metal blanked it off marked out were the bolts came through and surprisingly it was very close to the standard holes so we drilled it out and it fit perfectly first time...
Posted Image

that square hole next to it is to allow the nut that holds the plate on the back of the gearbox to come through

the big plate with 2 holes underneath was for the old T5 but we ended up keeping it there for extra support...

Posted Image

ohhh and i was trawling through the quokka and came across a cheap HJ premier front end with fluted guards... so that'll be on in the not so distant future...

i just need to find a suitable scoop as there is a hole in the bonnet i was thinking of getting a torana reverse facing and modifying it...

its currently painted in acrylic if i put a sealer on it then primer i can paint in my 2pac paint can't i???
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

all thats left now is to weld my new tunnel into place... bolt it up... do the wiring, and we should have take-off... then onto the TORANA :)

Edited by gen3torrie, 02 August 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#30 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

also while the engine was out we neatened up the bay a little bit

by painting the inner guards...
Posted Image

painting up the firewall..
half way done
Posted Image

finished
Posted Image

then we painted majority of the interior parts dash, rooflining, crash pad, visors as they had been done before but very poorly...
Posted Image

all thats needed for the twin headlight front is the loom, i hear rares does them for around $60 but i havent really looked into it as of yet??? as the single light front is going back on till the torry goes away for another little trip to the brake place...

thats really it for now...

#31 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

redex and paint your floor while the interiors out and i hope you retoquered those main caps up before you put your sump back on!!!

#32 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

yes mum i retorqued those bolts with my new torque wrench :)

#33 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

righto then
not that i really care Posted Image

#34 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Progress is a gen3torrie thread??? Jesus! What next? Heath will finally realise that banjo's are shit? LOL

#35 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Good stuff Josh!

#36 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

Looks like you're making some good progress there, well done. Are you running the engine, harness, ECU & gearbox out of a VS now or just the Getrag & VS harness/ECU? I'm asking as there are some differences between the VP-VS you need to be aware of. Firstly, VR on have an anti-theft program in their ECUs that will have to be removed so you can run them in older cars like your's. Someone like Chip Torque can do this for you. Also, from memory the only VS 5.0ltr to run the Getrag box from factory was the VS series III & i think these had sequential injection like the VT series I 5.0ltrs. I don't think this will pose any problems for you if you got the sequential distributor & air flow meter these engines run & use the complete VS EFI hardware. As long as you don't go swapping bits over from your VP hardware i think you'll be OK.

#37 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Good to see your getting some work done

#38 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

i have the BCM out of the VS that the engine came out off... my mechanic is going to try and loopwire the BCM and anti theft out of it... so basically send a signal it'll come back ok and we will have ignition

we didnt have any luck today... just sorting out what wire was what...

i'm just chasing after a clutch booster as getrag's are hydraulic and cant be changed to cable... we will probably modify the pedal to suit the booster hopefully we can find room on the firewall for it to fit...

im unsure on what place to take my tailshaft too

either Final Drive, Veem, or DSA

#39 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Sounds like you've got it sussed. In my last post i forgot to mention that VR on ECUs are BCM linked but you already know that so it seems you're well on your way to getting it up & running. I'm interested to see how you go with wiring the sequential injection into your car so i'll be watching this thread.

#40 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Same as what I put back in the lc,I had to get slave cylinder resleeved to get it correct to suit the dellows clutch cylinder,got specs out of vt manual then dropped it off at brake shop for them to work it out.

Ecu wires in basically the same as the earlier wiring harness' + 1 power wire/5a or 10a fuse i think added for the maf,with a relay it kept blowing fuses so we took out the relay & it was fine.

For the getrag,it will also needs bracket in the tunnel for the shifter,hope you got the slip yoke for the g/box or it won't have a speedo,can also stall the engine sometimes coming to a stop

Get a cheap v6 memcal,look up nicefrog or greenfrog(forgot which one it is) on ebay,for $80 he'll do you a nice tune & remove the VATS to make it easier to wire up.

#41 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

you could just use the vp ecu,loom,dizzy ect. then u no longer have the immobiliser and air flow meter.
you should be able to use a auto ecu and loom with the getrag without any problems. thats how i would do it i had a vr comp and bcm set up in my torana it was a pain compared to a vn/p setup

#42 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

you could just use the vp ecu,loom,dizzy ect. then u no longer have the immobiliser and air flow meter.
you should be able to use a auto ecu and loom with the getrag without any problems. thats how i would do it i had a vr comp and bcm set up in my torana it was a pain compared to a vn/p setup

Using VN-VP computer makes work a hell of alot easyer.

#43 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

hmmm maybe i should use the vps loom and i have all stuff by slip yoke u mean the big cog on the actual ailshaft which i got off the vs which rns the speedo?

#44 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

slip yoke is the yoke on the end of the tailshaft that slides into the back of the gearbox.
i dont know if getrags use a yoke on a vs but on a vx v6 getrag they use a rubber joint that uses 3 bolts onto the tail shaft instead of a uni joint.

if the getrag uses a rubber joint(i think it dose) it that could be a issue as that rubber join will only work with a 2 piece tailshaft. so hopefully you can get a normal style yoke to fit into the back of a getrag

Edited by lxefi304, 03 August 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#45 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:30 AM

hmmm maybe i should use the vps loom and i have all stuff by slip yoke u mean the big cog on the actual ailshaft which i got off the vs which rns the speedo?

yep josh that will work but you will get fuelling up /hunting at idle from what i got told
and you still have to wire your reverse lights in somehow
and i'm sure veem etc can do you a two piece tailshaft if you pay them enough

#46 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

Yep,slip yoke has the toothed gear on it for v8 getrags different to v6s,without it there is no speedo,throws up an intermittent fault & ya can sometimes stall the engine.

You can swap stuff over from earler vn to vs but not to vs s3 & vt's.

Use all the vs s3 ecu,wiring & getrag complete otherwise you'll get a few headaches mix n matching parts.VS S111 & Vt 5litres use a slightly different manifold & dissy to earlier models so those would have to be swapped over to run earlier ecu etc ,will still have the issue of no speedo.

reverse lights is easy,reverse switch is near slave cylinder.

Edited by gtrboyy, 04 August 2010 - 02:56 AM.

#47 _eh-buddy_

_eh-buddy_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

looking good but why would it need a 2 piece tailshaft?

i had a vs manual ute with a 1 piece shaft (done before i got it) and using a 9 inch

never realy had a problem (the car was a pretty wild thing though)

Edited by eh-buddy, 04 August 2010 - 10:34 AM.

#48 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

ohh i didnt realise that getrags dont have a normal style speedo drive. so yea use the vs ecu etc

#49 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Progress is a gen3torrie thread??? Jesus! What next? Heath will finally realise that banjo's are shit? LOL

only cause i'm kicking him up the bum Posted Image

#50 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

St Quagmire.
Posted Image