HQ Statesman

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#51 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

Yea thats a quicker way of doing it, welders are for girls anyway :nudie:. Should have just cut out the scuttles, stuffed newspaper into the plenum and filled straight over the top (fibreglass filler of course, makes it 'tuff'). Seriously though you should google rust repair, some of the crap you see people do is incredible..

Fibreglass floor pans

Here's another good one, no access to a welder to patch your floor pan? Just bog in the patch panels...

Posted Image

I do love it how the responses on those forums are...

"cHur boi, lUks tUfF Az" (or something similar)

Edited by nzstato, 15 October 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#52 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

wtf? Posted Image dude that is seriously dodgey
did it pass wot?
over there as well?

#53 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

wtf? Posted Image dude that is seriously dodgey
did it pass wot?
over there as well?

Buggered if I know, I found it one some site. I'd hope to think it wouldnt pass a WOF.

#54 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Well I finally hit a milestone. Got a few things sitting on the firewall, drilled a hole in the back of the heater unit (no not through the heater core :oops: ) to run my hidden wiring.

Posted Image

Two pieces of the puzzle to be put together

Posted Image

and now how they are suppose to be (did I mention I hate transmission fluid)

Posted Image

and now back in its place

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pretty stoked with how it looks, the engine really pops out from the black of the bay.

Now I just have this mess to deal with for the next week...

Posted Image

#55 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Not too much of an update but thought I better chuck something up before the long weekend

Posted Image

Posted Image

These were on it when I got it (Genies) they'll do for now but will probably build a better system down the line.

Posted Image

Starting to look like a proper engine again

Posted Image
Still have a few things to buy before I fire it up though:

Coil (HEC715)
Rotor button (doing the electronic Bosch small cap conversion)
Top and bottom radiator hose
Transmission mount
New oil and filters

and... :dontknow::Headbang2:

Posted Image

#56 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

he he now the torrie's gone i might get stuck into mine
(yeah right maybe xmas 2012) although i have a motor and box spare now
once the motors in it's all downhill lol Posted Image

#57 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:30 PM

Love your work. You must feel a bit better now. Jees it would be nice if the front of Torries came apart like an HQ-WB though. Would make fitting an engine shitloads easier!

#58 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

Sorry for such a long time between updates but I've been battling alot of electrical demons recently

Posted Image

Though the bigest problem was a dizzy which wouldnt pulse, pulled it apart to find the reluctor pickup was bung (should read around 1K ohm)

Posted Image

Thankfully you can still buy replacements, should have a vid up on youtube tomorrow about dismatling and testing the dizzy. Might even have it going (god forbid) in a day or so.

Replacement part # (triton) if anyone wants it

Posted Image

#59 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:26 AM

With Fuzzypumpers' permission I have made a series of videos based on "Refurbishing the Holden Bosch HEI", sorry they're a bit long winded but here you go

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9kheSY16Tmg

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z-oWBljIYkI

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dUZPFzVxFEU

#60 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

Mint !!!

This should piss the neighbours off...

#61 _Herbinator_

_Herbinator_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

looks like its coming along nicely. love the statesman. i used to have a q statsy but cancer took her from me. will try to find a photo of it to post up.

#62 _Herbinator_

_Herbinator_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

Attached File  q statesman04.jpg   401.18K   0 downloadsAttached File  q statesman05.jpg   417.41K   0 downloads

A bit of a hunt and yeehah, found em. Got the wheels in the local trader for $200 then fitted 215 & 245 yokies + abit of paint.(silver looked better) I drove it like that for 2 years but the tonner was more of a priority on apprentice chef wages had to let it go. But not before the 308 (still virgin bore) made its way into my tonner.

#63 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

That's a nice statey you had there. They really do suit dark colours, the passenger side mirror would have been a help too with backing the old girl too...

Just a quick update (sadly with few photos)

-sorted the wiring (stupid freaken alarms)
-Remounted all of the heater ducting
-Filled and bled cooling system
-Filled transmission
-Steering shafts back it (after redoing all of the rubbers)

Soon to refill the powersteering, does this need any special attention in the way of preventing air bubbles????

Went to fill and bleed the brakes...

Posted Image

Then I noted the bloody master cylinder was leaking (s**t s**t, not on the paint... :Headbang2:) oh well serves me right to leave it dry these last couple of months, have to order a new kit tomorrow (they're not to hard to rebuild are they?)...

#64 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

That rust repair is exactly what i need to do but mines abit worse than that. Its coming along well, the finished product should look good, i kinda didnt mind it how it was originally though and i'm not normally really a fan of Matte black

#65 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

Its a rust job that takes some hassle but well worth it... I'm not going to be painting it matte black, since I'm putting a fair bit of effort into this I want it to look like it.

Got my new kit and rebuilt the master cylinder. This cylinder is either not original to the car or has been rebuilt by someone not paying attention as there were check valves in both the front and rear outlets (should be only in the rear for drums).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pulled the old exhaust out to weld it all back together. This was a fully welded system so I had to cut it out of the car. Will be welding in some joiner flanges so I can bolt it all up.

Posted Image

Whoever put it together must have had a few beers at morning smoko as it's a bit of a rangi job. Not the straightest set of pipes and consequently one side has suffered on my steep drive. Will straighten it out methinks.

Posted Image

#66 _shadowmaster_

_shadowmaster_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

Mate you will find 99% of exhaust mobs will do that and make the R/H side lower then the left, it was explained to me once but i think i had a few beers at that point and cant remember :dontknow:

All i can suggest is if your going to try and straighten them up then test it before you weld it all up.

#67 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:36 AM

Mate you will find 99% of exhaust mobs will do that and make the R/H side lower then the left, it was explained to me once but i think i had a few beers at that point and cant remember :dontknow:

All i can suggest is if your going to try and straighten them up then test it before you weld it all up.

Cheers, the only thing I can think of is that they do it this way is when you give it the jandle, the torque of the engine straightens the pipes up and you dont have clearance issues. Hmmm might just leave it how it is, will just add a few protecting strips of metal to save it on my drive.

#68 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:25 AM

UPDATE:

Long time since the last one since I've been away in Wellington for a conference (work sucks don't it).

Got a brakes all set up and bled properly, should stop as well as go now.
Built the exhaust, took a bit of hassle. In the end I decided not to stuff with the pipes, the flanges make the lowest point half an inch lower so it's going to scrape the drive. The other car does this so I have some 'ramps' to get in down to the garage anyway. Plan to have my own house (without a steep drive) soon after the build has ended anyway.

And the daily needed a tickle up so I finally have a picture (though not a very good one) of the two of them together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#69 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

4AGE corolla :spoton:

#70 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

4AGE corolla :spoton:

Yea Mate :spoton:

Posted Image

#71 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

One of snotgobblers post reminded me to make something I've been putting off for a while, a panel stand...

Had some scrap lengths lying around...

Posted Image

Welded it all up, came up pretty square too

Posted Image

Posted Image

Decided I will add some stays at the bottom to firm it up. I may be overengineering the thing but the last thing I'd want is for it to collapse and destroy a panel

#72 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:06 AM

Well got a bit more done it the weekend, shifted the battery to the boot and was able to drive it out of the shed, first lot of sun than has been on the thing in around 6 months.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turned it around so I could start working on the rear screen/boot area. Pulled the screen with not too much hassle.

Posted Image

And this is what we've got

Posted Image

Didn't look too bad, only one bit of noticable rust...

Posted Image

And then I took to it with a wire brush on my grinder....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

They couldn't even do a patch job properly

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I was a little pissed to say the least, where on earth did they get the idea that you could fill the holes with bog? Whoever did this has really gone over board with the filler as it is just caked on in the rear section of a roof. Oh well, I fixed the front screen, now I'm going to have to do it for the rear...

#73 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

looks a lot like mine
so you still want to come over to sunny hot wa and have a "fun filled adventure fixing statesman rust holes?"
includes all the beer you can drink (home brew only lol)
Posted Image

#74 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

looks a lot like mine
so you still want to come over to sunny hot wa and have a "fun filled adventure fixing statesman rust holes?"
includes all the beer you can drink (home brew only lol)
Posted Image

The beer does sound rather inviting, even being home brew (I must learn how to do that one day), and I do find rust repair quite 'relaxing'. But with the low 20s we're experiencing is just enough for me (any more and I struggle a bit). Though ya never know, WA might experience me one day....

#75 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

Well it's 'more fun filled adventures fixing statesman rust holes' hahahha

Remember this...

Posted Image

Holes plus a previous repair (just a patch over the rust) that looked horrible, now its like this...

Posted Image

You almost wouldn't know it was there, and who says you cant weld with CO2 (it's just taken me a fair bit of practise).

Got one of the holes up the top done too (doesnt look as pretty as I struggle getting a flap disc near it, it's still solid though)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We're going to get there, after having a bit of a poke around with a screw driver (and seeing the areas with bog on them) I think we've got a bit of work ahead of us...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users