heater

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

as the topic says
does anyone know if electric heaters are available. Am hoping to still ahve a heater for legal reasons and still be able to remove the fan and heater hoses from the engine bay

Cheers

#2 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

Check ebay- take your pick. I'm looking for something like this too.

Type in "12v heater" and have a look-see.

eg. http://cgi.ebay.com....=item335f873d9f <-Oops, changed that...

Edited by Gunmetal LH, 06 August 2010 - 10:33 PM.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

This mob do just about 12V everything.
http://www.12volt.com.au/

#4 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

For what its worth, a 200 watt electric heater is nowhere near up to the job as a heater but as a demister to pass rego they are just ok. I recently bought one and found it useless as a car heater. I have not seen one that puts out more than 200w.

The good thing about them is they are not expensive at all.

Cheers
Herne

#5 turbo76lx

turbo76lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Car:LX

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Try 2 12v hair dryers, mount them directly into the windscreen vent, where the blue and black tube are from the heater box up to the vent (LH,LX).

One thing that you have to do is to wire them so they still have a 2 speed fan. A few of my mates have this system and all have passed an engineers certificate

and RWC, but saying that don't expect to much from them. Another way i am tying is to keep the heater box, removing the heater core and replacing it with fans

and an electric heater, have got the fans mounted but haven't worked out the heater yet. Hopefully this will work so i can take the fan and hoses out of the engine bay

and still have the interior looking standard. (using 2 12v computer fans)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thanks guys

I am not too fussed over the heater or the demistor to be honest but need to keep it legal.
This all come about because I bought a meziere electric water pump and it doesnt have the heater fitting.
Dressing up the engine bay with the AN hoses and modifying the pump would probably cost $200 minimum and would be happy to pay a bit more than that to clean up the engine bay as well!

Thats pretty neat Turbo, any more info on the fans? are you planning that the air supply comesfom the interior of the car? is there a requirement to have outside air or can the engine bay be blocked off?

Herne - any pictures of how you did it?

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

Hi The GTS, sorry no pics as I wasnt happy with the output of the electric heater/demister. I never mounted it, just sat it in the cabin plugged into the cig lighter as a test. Had it worked better I would have mounted it properly.

We are still looking for something better (aftermarket or from a Jap car) so if and when we sort it I will let people here know and in my usual style take plenty of pics.

I soon came to realise that in the Canberra ans surrounding districts, I really do need an effective heater/demister.

Cheers
Herne

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

An electric heater suitable to heat the car will require a substantial electrical system.

I doubt even a 500 watt heater would be sufficient to heat a car, I think you would be looking at around 1000 watts. 1 amp at 12 volts is 12 Watts therefore a 500 watt heater will require around 42 amps. The typical domestic 240 volt hair dryer is around 1000-1500 watts which would require 83-125 amps at 12 volts.

It may be worth looking at running a heater off the engine or transmission oil.

#9 turbo76lx

turbo76lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Car:LX

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi GTS, i am planing to duct the air from the original spot under the dash and cut it into the top of the heater box, the fire wall has been flatened off so no air box in the engine bay.

The fans are from dick smith, 12cm across.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users