BW78 LSD or lokka? which one?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

hi guys i am getting a bw78 made up for my torana, i want to know what you guys think is the best thing to get a lokka diff or a lsd it is a street car and it will have 28 spline with a 4 pinion lsd or a lokka dont know which one to get...
engine is a 330 stroker 286 or 288 cam and turbo 350 in a lx torana

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

If you plan to use it for anything off street at all, consider the Lokka as the LSD won't last (especially if its flared with big rubber). However if you're going to look after it and have only street use in mind the LSD will be a little more user-friendly.

I wore out a reasonably tight LSD centre in around 6 months with a couple of drag racing stints and an off street burnout, the Lokka has been going strong ever since but it does require a little change in driving style.

#3 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

mmmmm yeah the car is flared and has 265 rubber on the rear, it will mainly be street driven tho...

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Mainly or solely? If you do any off street stuff at all, the Lokka may be worthwhile

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

The BW78 LSD would be doing well to provide 40% traction in a straight line. A Lokka will provide 100% traction in a straight line.

You should go for a test drive in a car with a Lokka before making a decision. You may find the noise and locking action is not worth the extra traction.

If money is not a problem then have a look at the KAAZ. I think they are available for the BW78

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

^^^^ What he said.
R

#7 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

well for one MONEY is a major PROBLEM! i dont have enough! hahahaha i think i will just get a lokka eventually

only problem is my diff is going to get built next week and i called the lokka manufacture/supplier and they dont have any left for a BW78 and will not be getting any for 3-4 weeks...... where as i can get a New lsd put in straight away........ mmmmmmmmmmm dont know what to do....

#8 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:57 AM

Get a detroit truetrac. Provides same operation as Lokka but without the clunking etc. $400 extra though. $1000 for the centre.

Youngy

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

Did you get one of those in the end Youngy? Good thing?

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

The Detroit Truetrac is a good street diff however it will only provide a maximum of 75% torque to the other wheel.

The Lokka with provide 100% torque to both wheels.

The KAAZ will go close to 100% torque to both wheels. In a straight line the torque is used to increase the clamping pressure on the KAAZ clutches.

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

I was curious because if I recall correctly the one that Youngy was looking at wasn't actually a Truetrac, it was another brand/copy with some slight differences

#12 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

The Detroit Truetrac is a good street diff however it will only provide a maximum of 75% torque to the other wheel.

The Lokka with provide 100% torque to both wheels.

The KAAZ will go close to 100% torque to both wheels. In a straight line the torque is used to increase the clamping pressure on the KAAZ clutches.

Where do these figures come from?

#13 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

The Truetrac LSD figure is on this Website. I recall reading the figure in an Eaton technical document describing the Truetrac LSD design. I am unable to find this document at the moment. The document mentioned that the designed torque bias was 75%. It also mentioned that if one wheel is spinning in the air then 75% of zero is zero and the other wheel will not drive. In this situation in a 4WD with a wheel in the air you apply the brakes to get torque delivered to the wheel on the ground.

This 3MB pdf test results document shows a torque bias of around 3.0 for the Truetrac.

The Lokka is a locking differential which by definition delivers 100%.

The KAAZ LSD figure is an estimate. In a straight line the LSD clutch pressure is proportional to the amount of torque applied to both wheels. In theory the KAAZ should not slip under load and therefore effectively become a locking diff in a straight line.

This webpage has an interesting chart explaining some of the different diff options for 4WD applications.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 25 August 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#14 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

76LXhatch.

Yes the original supplier put me onto a detroit 'NoSpin' but I did get a quote from another supplier for a Detroit Trutrac for $1000. I have not got one yet as have been spending money elsewhere on the car.

I have the email at work and will get it on Friday.

Youngy

#15 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

The supplier I got the quote from was http://www.qpaac.com.au/

I spoke to Rick.

If you find a cheaper quote let me know.

Also go and buy one get it fitted and tell us all how it goes :)

#16 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

was that quote with you taking your centre in ,or whole car?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users