Angel Eye headlights

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

Cant find much useful information about these type of lights on the net, so Im turning to you forumers for help.

Im sick of my crappy sealed beams and want to upgrade to H4s as many others have done.

Spotto'ed these on eBay while browsing for suitable lights: http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT -- yes I know they are $135 :P

So are they just a H4 light with a LED ring? Or something different?

Maybe someone has bought these before?? Experiences?

And it would be much appreciated if you didn't discuss wether you think these suit Toranas or not in this thread...theres a Shoutbox for that. :)

Cheers

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

They look like a Modified H4 crystal headlight.

wouldnt be too hard to do yourself if you were keen.

But yeah, they arent anything special, simply a H4 headlight receptacle and an LED ring.

#3 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

I believe they are a H4 light with clear/smooth lenses and all the light dispersion angles moulded into the reflector, with a ring of LED's around the edge.
I really like crystal lights, I'd do it to mine but I haven't found any to fit.
I saw a set on a FE panel van the other day, it really does make a huge difference to the look of the front end.
Never seen anything with those LED rings but I reckon they'd look sh*t hot on anything that looks modified, prolly look crap on an original looking car though.
Sorry 'bout the opinion based post.

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

Definitely wouldn't suit every car. Would look alright on Toranas that have a 'modern' feel I guess, but I really hate the wanker lights that new HSVs and Audi R8s have, and the 'angel eyes' give me a similar impression. Each to their own

#5 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

funny this topic should be started, i have just put some in thinking they were just crystal lights but they have the ring around the outside. When i first put them on i was not impressed but then again after having the same headlights for 20 years then putting these in was a massive difference, since then i am getting a little more used to them and actually starting to like them . As others have mentioned it would probably suit a modified car rather than stocker. The reactions have been 90% positive and 10% unsure. I suppose its not hard to change back

#6 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

It would pay to find out whether the led ring would satisfy regulations to be used as parking lamps, otherwise there is no provision for parking light globe in the lamp body.

Was looking on ebay and saw these:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-HALOGEN-CURVED-GLASS-HEADLIGHT-INSERT-KIT-NEW-/330444143071?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories

thought they were interesting as they maintain the curved lens, whereas most replacements are flat and standout like dogsballs, a consideration if original type look is required.

#7 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:37 AM

Thanks guys.

So SSHatchback, have you got these ones, or something similar? Are you happy with the amount of light they put out?

Thanks for that torbirdie.

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:46 AM

Torbirdie's ones seem like a good thing. I couldn't get much curve in the lense when I bought mine.

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

There is a guy on here who has these on the front of his hatch... Gone blank on his name... it's a Blue flareless hatch, let me go looking...

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

Nope, Can't find it! I swear i saw the pic not long ago! I thought it looked good on the car... As said though, only suits some styles of Torana.

#11 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

Ive got "crystal" headlights in my LJ ;)

#12 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com....=item588990aacb

Be interesting to know what the best upgrade is....sorry to threat steal but has anyone tried the LED bulbs you can buy???

#13 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

Thanks guys.

So SSHatchback, have you got these ones, or something similar? Are you happy with the amount of light they put out?

Thanks for that torbirdie.

Yes im happy with the amount of light output and was the original reason why i tried them, mine have a provision for normal style parkers aswell

My other h4 lamps although 18 years old did not have that much curve either

There is a guy on here who has these on the front of his hatch... Gone blank on his name... it's a Blue flareless hatch, let me go looking...

I thought you had them on yours already ?

#14 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, I have the crystals, but not the "angel eyes' with the LED ring around the edges...

#15 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Thanking you kindly good sirs. :)

I like the angel eye lights, and the general consensous is that they are a good thing, so as soon as I get the spare cash, I'll get a set.

Besides, Im do a fair bit of night time driving (and reaaaly early moring) in rural areas where the roads are blood stained.

Will find out if the LED ring can serve as a parker too.

#16 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

Thanking you kindly good sirs. :)

I like the angel eye lights, and the general consensous is that they are a good thing, so as soon as I get the spare cash, I'll get a set.

Besides, Im do a fair bit of night time driving (and reaaaly early moring) in rural areas where the roads are blood stained.

Will find out if the LED ring can serve as a parker too.

The LED ring works fine as a parker it actually looks quite good and not as prominent as the bmw factory ones, you can see the outer ring but it lightly glows the whole headlamp

#17 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:37 PM

I don't quite mind the angel eye ones, but I think they'd be very hit of miss, retro-tech torrie I think it would be ace.

I bought these off ebay for the MR2, they're 'projector' style, straight from China but was pretty happy quality was quite good. Before they were just 'standard' (like whats on most toranas)

Posted Image

After installing these I see what SS Hatchback means, once you've done a headlight upgrade, it's quite hard to go back, on a car like the MR being a bit more of a JDM style it's quite welcomed to have aftermarket headlights, but in my opinion they'd more suit a retro-tech torrie.

Also have a mate who fitted angel eye rings to his R33 and the globes melted the rings :sleep:

#18 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

make your own that what i'm doin. the rod in the images is available from Spotlight in the cheap blinds packs, not sure if they sell it on its own.

video of how to do it here.

http://www.wonderhow...our-car-190310/

#19 _fryzem_

_fryzem_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

we have got them in both our torana's. i got them from bright light auto parts ferntree gully.
the angel eye is not really visible once low beam or high beam is on. i use the extra parker insert in them and the angle eye.
they look good.

#20 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

Man,are they a swell addition!
Would look real neato on any car that also had rubber checkerplate floormats and a self adhesive carbon fibre petrol cap.
You could accent the effect by adding sill mounted neons as well.

How good would that look!! SUPER!!!

#21 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

This.

Think i did that right, i agree with wot179.

Cheers.

#22 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Name:Uwe
  • Car:LH V8 1974
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:28 AM

I did order from minijed at ebay H4 Lights approx. 6month ago.

They arrived very quick in Germany but there where wrong and didnt fit into the original Headlightframes.

The lamps shape is too bulbous and cant go deep enough into the iron frame that they have 2 cm room before touching the surface of the frame.

The ebay seller sayd that they are for a LH Torana from 1974.

Was there differend lamp frames for round Torana headlights on the market?

I want to change to H4 as soon as possible but im not shure wich Headlights to order!?

Uwe

#23 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

They arrived very quick in Germany but there where wrong and didnt fit into the original Headlightframes.

The lamps shape is too bulbous and cant go deep enough into the iron frame that they have 2 cm room before touching the surface of the frame.

I want to change to H4 as soon as possible but im not shure wich Headlights to order!?

Uwe

LH torana headlights are rectangular, yours were circular? I think we are looking at circular ones here for the lx,

#24 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Name:Uwe
  • Car:LH V8 1974
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

Uwe

LH torana headlights are rectangular, yours were circular? I think we are looking at circular ones here for the lx,

NOPE! My headlights are circular and i cant find a LH with rectangular headlights at GOOGLE .

I did find both kind of headlights in the Torana LH parts catalogue.

The Torana here has round shaped lights with rectangular shaped surround.

Edited by The German, 06 September 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#25 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ive got "crystal" headlights in my LJ ;)

Hi Orange, did the lights fit your original buckets? Mine like the German, are too big for the buckets, I can fit them in, but the back of the light sits hard to the bucket, I think this will scratch the reflector.

Cheers Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users