LJ Torana Radio

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _Steven72_

_Steven72_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

Can some tell me what the genuine LJ radio is meant to have?? Mine has a TA radio which looks completely different, but the original LJ ones do they have push buttons or not, or did they come out with either???

#2 _tail light_

_tail light_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

i would also like to know what the original radio options were for 1972 xu1 and may be a picture if some body has one of the options
thanks in advance

#3 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

i would also like to know what the original radio options were for 1972 xu1 and may be a picture if some body has one of the options
thanks in advance

Hi all

The available radios were "Air Chief" and came in 13 transistor Push Button, 11 transistor Push Button or Manual tuning, or 8 transistor Manual tuning only. When looking for an original radio for the LJ, be sure that you get the one with rounded corners and be sure that the filler panel comes with it. A lot of radios on eBay are from HQs, (they have square corners on the facia) but are sold as suiting LJ Torana. The actual radios are the same but the facia is different and will not fit correctly or cleanly.

Cheers

Bazza

Attached Files

#4 _tail light_

_tail light_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

thanks in advance

Hi all

The available radios were "Air Chief" and came in 13 transistor Push Button, 11 transistor Push Button or Manual tuning, or 8 transistor Manual tuning only. When looking for an original radio for the LJ, be sure that you get the one with rounded corners and be sure that the filler panel comes with it. A lot of radios on eBay are from HQs, (they have square corners on the facia) but are sold as suiting LJ Torana. The actual radios are the same but the facia is different and will not fit correctly or cleanly.

Cheers

Bazza

thanks bazza, thats exactly what i needed to know, now i can search for the correct radio,
mick

#5 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

Can someone please post a photo of the rear bracket for mounting the original Air Chief radio. It's got the two screws on the underside to attach it to the dash panel but on the rear of the unit there's a bolt which I assume is for fitting at bracket to somewhere inside the dash to stop the back end of the radio moving up and down.

Any installation instruction diagrams would be good.

Thanks

#6 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:39 PM

I ended up making an alloy rear support bracket for my radio. It attaches to one of the empty screw holes in the side of the radio on the drivers side and then at the bottom it attaches to a screw going into the lower dash and windscreen washer bracket. I can access it with the instrument panel removed.

#7 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:22 PM

Hi James I've just seen you post, here's some pics of my radio bracket. Probably too late for you now!

Attached Files

#8 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:02 AM

Hi Kev,
Thanks for your pictures. I knew that I'd seen one of those radio's with the rear bracket although they seem quite rare.

It turns out that I've used the same screw hole in the radio but on the drivers side instead.

I assume that you're bracket bolts onto one of the two elongated holes in the dash just above the cigarette lighter, is that correct?

James D

#9 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:02 AM

Hi James,

Its been so long since I pulled the car apart I couldn't tell you where the bracket bolts in, I can suss it out on the weekend.

I have a spare original bracket that's all plated up. If you're interested in it PM me.

Here's the original fitting instructions, this might help also

Attached Files

#10 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hi Kev,
Thanks for the pictures and information, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Just for reference the thread size required for the bolts that fasten the front of the radio at the bottom to the dash panel they're a 3/16" thread about 3/4" long should be sufficient. I need to order some hex head ones as my local fastener shop only had them with a Phillips head or Allen key head but access is very awkward to tighten or undo these screws with a slot or Phillips head screw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users