Purrpull GTR & XU-1 register

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

How many Purrpull 73 GTR's or XU-1's are out there?

My Purrpull one was the first Bathurst 73, by current engine number records, and was also a Police patrol car.

Mike

#2 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

is someone gonna put up the "this thread is useless without picture" emoticon or am i? please someone else because i dont know how.. lol

#3 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

How many Purrpull 73 GTR's or XU-1's are out there?

My Purrpull one was the first Bathurst 73, by current engine number records, and was also a Police patrol car.

Mike

hi mike

it was me that told you from your broadcast sheet many years ago that your car was a fleet order and sold through city. and to trace back as i believed it was possably a police car. what did you end up finding to prove this?

Jamie

#4 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

Perhaps I should have said how many knockers are out there?

This is my first day of posting on this site and already I am regretting saying anything!!!!

I do not have a suitable photo, even if I did know how to add it, also it is none of your business if I choose not include a photo,
I won't hold my breath waiting for an apology, as I know how your types operate!

Finding anything out on this car and model has been a real headache as motoring writers have been making stuff about these cars for 30 years.

I put down my thoughts as I genuinly believe them to be, so lets hope my other posting is better recieved, but I guess having so many B***y myhts out there for over thirty years, I have no chance!

My first car was a LC Torana when I was 17 and I have had these LC -LJ Toranas ever since, so I do know some things!!! ( 50 now )

Thanks Jamie at least you are genuine!

I had always wanted an XU-1 but could never afford one, actually I found in my research that I looked at this XU-1 as a wreck in the early 1980's but passed it up!

Yes Jamie I have been researching my car on and off ever since I had that good information from you.

I have a fairly complete history now thanks to a little prompting by yourself and Bruce, Just briefly it has had 8 previous owners who mostly just kept it for one or two years before selling it.
It was also modified then rebuilt completely once, and painted three different colours at varous stages and had at least three different number plates too, which made things difficult!

It was deregistered in 1986 and I bought it in 2006, I am of moddest means so I am slowley collecting parts to re assemble it back exactly as it should be, I am really pleased to now be able to get some good quality replacement pannels thanks to Aussie Muscle Car Parts, I just have to work out how to pay for them now. Hopefully somone will start to remake the LSD's before long.

I pretty much have the mechanical parts worked out thanks to Australian Muscle Car magazine readers.
I have had axles made so that it will be original, as the originals are unobtainable now.
I will not be chrome plating everything, I will be restoring it back to original specifications.
Through much dissapointment with the standard ( or lack of ) reproduction parts I am now the WA agent for a certain brand of good quality reproduction parts.

The original police driver and his partner have both passed away now, so I boomed out there.
I have spoken to another Police officer who after much prompting for a few hours remembered aspects of my XU-1 , I have also had confirmation from another police officer who remembered my car.
There are also a couple of locals in that area who remembered my PurrPull XU-1 but it was very difficult because the police only had it for a year before it was sideswiped and sold off.
At that time in 1974 many of the drivers side pannels were replaced and by 1984 the rest of the front pannels had been replaced, so it has had a very hard life and I have a big job to put it right.

I thought that I had a pannel guy to do the pannel work for me, but for some reason known only to him he started to play mind games so he has lost this work.

So looks like I have to do the whole job myself if I want it done right!

What you say about mine being a fleet order, I have been wondering if all the first 14 - 16 Bathurst XU-1's made before the 150 were ordered XU-1's, perhaps that is why they were made first!

I have recently made contact with a guy here who claims to have a XU-1 made on the same day ( 16th ) in the same factory as mine so I am dying to catch up with him!

Mike

#5 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

Hi Mike

I will welcome you to the site, and look forward o further posts from you
i have read your other posts with interest as know a lot of others have also done. so please keep them coming.

Im no translater, but possibly what Judge was trying to say was,
Great to see another XU1 appear. and, We would be interested, at some point, to see pictures of your car

Cheers

Rogered

#6 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

hi mike good to see you have made it here, im sure you will find alot of info here,i also remember speaking with you about the ex police cars, has i have told you i had a lc gtr that was police issued back in 1971 sold late 72 at a WA police auction other then me resell the car last year i never really looked into it, but i still have the hella fog lights and the antitheft box that was mounted to the coil, but im sure this box was only used in the lc range,,, has thay where easy to enter from the outside, anyway keep at it mate and stay intouch, if you are looking for good deals on the panels and bits and pieces for you rebuild, i can help.

cheers gong

#7 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

oh that was directed at me... well forgive me for showing interest in a car that is of great appreciation to every member on this forum. all it means is that if your going to make statements that engage ones imagination, the least you could do is post some pictures to satisfy this fascination. there was no offence intended, don't know how you could have taken it that way? better yet i don't even know what the issue could be but i apologise if i offended you in anyway, its just an inside joke on forums.

#8 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Welcome Mike :spoton:

#9 MONZA1

MONZA1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

June '73 XU-1.

Posted Image

#10 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

and mike LSD are also being reproduced by amcp

#11 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

Yes I scored one of those abt 1982 in my Torana,

Mike

#12 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

Apology accepted judge,
perhaps you can tell me how to put a picture in.

Mike

#13 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Apology accepted judge,
perhaps you can tell me how to put a picture in.

Mike

theres a few ways. you can try going to www.tinypic.com, click the browse button, select the picture you want. click the drop down box and select message board (640x480), click upload now and input the code required to verify you are human. once uploaded you can copy the text labeled as for message boards should have [image/] at the front, or something.. once copied all you need to do is paste it into your comment and there you go, make sure its the entire code it should start and finish with [image]. but keep in mind this isnt photo storage meaning you shouldn't delete the originals

#14 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

It's a great place and there's plenty of characters here and plenty of good people and information.

I had a purr pull GTR (7/73) from 2006 to 2008 and loved it. Had plenty of XU-1 gear on it as well as the original motor/gearbox etc in my garage.

Here's some photo's (now lives in northern NSW near the QLD border),

Cheers Mick.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by lxsstorana, 17 September 2010 - 05:41 PM.

#15 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi and thanks Mick,nice car,
this colour seems quite fashonable now, have heard of a couple of Purr pull 7th month ones but not many 8th month ones.

Mike

#16 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

]http://i55.tinypic.com/30ikk7q.jpg[/img]

See how this worked, it was easy only took me three hours!

This is the only picture I have in it's original colour as you see it has been modified in several areas, the cops will have put on the mudflaps, spotties and maybe the rear louver.

This is when it was two years old, by then it had seen police service, been written off sold to a S/H dealer and rebuilt and sold again!

Mike

#17 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/30ikk7q.jpg[/IMG]

Try this mike

#18 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Posted Image

Hi Mike here,
This is what a Police XU-1 looks like in 1972,

Mike

#19 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

This is my XU-1 when it was two years old, buy this satge it had been used as a Police XU-1 for twelve months written off, bought by a second hand car dealer, sold and wheels changed and bonnet painting added, the police would have had the spotties and the mudflaps added.

This is the earliest 73 Bathurst found so far, eng JP 389265

These cars were identified by the engine numbers more than either the Vins or production dates, they were produced in August and September.
The first two weeks of August were the previous July specified cars.

Mike Bell

Edited by Mike73, 19 September 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#20 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Posted Image

This is my XU-1 when it was two years old, buy this satge it had been used as a Police XU-1 for twelve months written off, bought by a second hand car dealer, sold and wheels changed and bonnet painting added, the police would have had the spotties and the mudflaps added.

This is the earliest 73 Bathurst found so far, eng JP 389265

These cars were identified by the engine numbers more than either the Vins or production dates, they were produced in August and September.
The first two weeks of August were the previous July specified cars.

Mike Bell

Hi mike , nice photo,s,
for me i just hit the browse button and then lign up on where the photos in the pc are and then click on the photo i want and it works...keep them coming and we missed you at Whiteman Park combined car show last sunday,
see y liswar

#21 GTRXU1

GTRXU1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

Posted Image
Cleaned up image

#22 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hello everone,
I saw another Purpul XU-1 in Ballarat at Norm Darwin's book launch in Feb 2012
I don't know who owned it.

Mike

#23 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

http://i164quote name='GTRXU1' timestamp='1303914273' post='587733'] [IMG]https://cache.gmh-to...man/30ikk7q.jpg Cleaned up image

Grass might be the right colour, but now is the XU-1 is the wrong colour XU-1 this more like Chateau mauve, and although mine was this colour at one stage, the original colour is more like the previous pictures. Mike

Edited by Mike73, 11 March 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#24 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Grass might be the right colour, but now is the XU-1 is the wrong colour XU-1 this more like Chateau mauve, and although mine was this colour at one stage, the original colour is more like the previous pictures. Mike

Yeah im not sure.
I thought the grass was more of a brown shade in Aust,
That being the case may be the car is purple :burnout:

#25 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yeah im not sure.
I thought the grass was more of a brown shade in Aust,
That being the case may be the car is purple :burnout:

I own this XU-1 ( well project ) and the paint/ trim tag indicates it was Pur - pull, the remaining paint on the pannels also match, so no this XU-1 is not supposed to be Chateau mauve.
Chateau mauve is a 72 colour ( 13884 ) and not normally available in 1973, this picture is of an example of one of the first final spec XU-1's built Aug 1973 in Pur - pull ( 15347 )

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users