SLR gauge decal kit from rare spares

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _tory305_

_tory305_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

I got my hands on a white needle SLR gauge decal set from rare spares and it has a hole in the bottom of the speedo decal.Are there white needle 200kph speedos with a light in the bottom of them or is it just the yellow needle ones?
On their website they only have two kits one white and one yellow,both having holes for a light.I have 2 complete white needle SLR gauge sets but neither have holes.

#2 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

To the best of my knowledge, no white SL/R needle has a light (park brake indication) at the bottom of the speedo. And not all yellow SL/R needle gauges have a park brake indication at the bottom of the speedo either.

Edited by antelopeslr5000, 20 September 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#3 _tory305_

_tory305_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Thats what i thought.Found out today that rare spares doesnt sell a white needle speedo deacal without the hole in it .So it seems near enough is good enough for rare sparesPosted Image

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

The extra hole was required for ADR which was not introduced until the yellow gauges. I requested that Rares make the white version and posted pictures of the dash but the difference appears to have been missed.

Pictures in this thread.

The early dashes used the same light to indicate the park brake was engaged or a brake failure. In 1977 ADR31 was introduced which required separate lights for the handbrake and brake fail so a park brake light was fitted to the speedo.

#5 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

The extra hole was required for ADR which was not introduced until the yellow gauges. I requested that Rares make the white version and posted pictures of the dash but the difference appears to have been missed.

Pictures in this thread.

The early dashes used the same light to indicate the park brake was engaged or a brake failure. In 1977 ADR31 was introduced which required separate lights for the handbrake and brake fail so a park brake light was fitted to the speedo.

We make parts for most Holden�s but we are not experts on the subtle differences of each model and rely on people who supposedly know what is what.
In this case were sent samples of dash gauges and told what they fitted, we then produced the product. We do have the ability to produce different decals but we need the help of customers to supply samples of what is required. We need your help to make products not just decals, as samples are not always easy to come by, we work with many people on different forums who help with information and samples and we would do the same here. Normally when we ask for a sample we return the original sample were possible and provide one or two repro ones free of charge depending on the product. In the meantime I will see what happened to the white needle gauge decals without the hole.
Les

#6 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

Pictures in this thread.

We make parts for most Holden�s but we are not experts on the subtle differences of each model and rely on people who supposedly know what is what.
In this case were sent samples of dash gauges and told what they fitted, we then produced the product. We do have the ability to produce different decals but we need the help of customers to supply samples of what is required. We need your help to make products not just decals, as samples are not always easy to come by, we work with many people on different forums who help with information and samples and we would do the same here. Normally when we ask for a sample we return the original sample were possible and provide one or two repro ones free of charge depending on the product. In the meantime I will see what happened to the white needle gauge decals without the hole.
Les

Hi Les,

before you go off and make any changes, I think that you need to realise that there are indeed four (maybe five) different versions for these. Two (possibly three) for the LH (White Needle) and two for the LX (Yellow Needle)

If some of the LH owners can put a picture up of the two versions, you will see what I mean. The main Difference is 5 and 6 digit odometers and early LH dashes have mph and kph.

cheers
Mick

#7 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

It would probably be more economical to make both the yellow and white without the hole for the park lamp. The early yellow dashes do not have the park lamp either.

It may also be worth considering not cutting the odometer hole as there is a 6 digit and a 7 digit version of the odometer in the white dash. All yellow have 7 digits.

It should be quite easy to cut the holes with a scalpel once the decal has been applied.

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

There are basically 5 sets of SLR gauges, I decided to go and take some pics of the 3 different sets I have. All are in very good condition so you can get an idea of what they should look like.

first up, LH. There are 3 different types of LH I have seen, the first has miles and KM, the second is as pictured, and the 3rd has 7 digits in the odometer while this one has 6
Posted Image

The next is the early LX SLR type
Posted Image

Late LX type. These appeared in around mid 77 and have the park brake in the bottom of the speedo as you can see.
Posted Image

#9 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

It would probably be more economical to make both the yellow and white without the hole for the park lamp. The early yellow dashes do not have the park lamp either.

It may also be worth considering not cutting the odometer hole as there is a 6 digit and a 7 digit version of the odometer in the white dash. All yellow have 7 digits.

It should be quite easy to cut the holes with a scalpel once the decal has been applied.

Thanks for the tip that's the way we will go
Les

#10 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

There are basically 5 sets of SLR gauges, I decided to go and take some pics of the 3 different sets I have. All are in very good condition so you can get an idea of what they should look like.

first up, LH. There are 3 different types of LH I have seen, the first has miles and KM, the second is as pictured, and the 3rd has 7 digits in the odometer while this one has 6
Posted Image

The next is the early LX SLR type
Posted Image

Late LX type. These appeared in around mid 77 and have the park brake in the bottom of the speedo as you can see.
Posted Image

Looking at the needles in the RHS 'quadrant' cluster, what is their resting/off position?

The white needles rest perfectly vertical and horizontal and off the gauge scale whereas the orange needles in second pic align with the zero position of the gauges.

The final pic has the oil resting horizontal and the other needles at 0 gauge mark.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 15 October 2010 - 11:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users