Engine number ground off?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

I was just looking at the 202 i bought and noticed that the engine number has been ground off. Now this could mean many things but without an engine number i dont think one can prove anything... i think it has another serial on the block but i dont know what to do with it? i was planning to put it in the car to register but im not sure if that will happen?

any advice?

Cheers,
Jake

#2 _Bathurst_stig_

_Bathurst_stig_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

id put it at the back of the shed and go find a block with numbers, i dont think u can get rego without engine numbers..... ive never had that problem..... if it was me id even run the numbers of the new block just to make sure its not being looked for, but that to i'd think is very unlikely..... sorry if its no help....

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

If you have a receipt from the seller then you might want to try RTA for a new number but they, as would I, ask what happened.

#4 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

I dont want to sound harsh,

but are you stupid?

You bought a second hand motor without checking the engine number.

Whats written on the receipt? " Sold,one old motor"?

You have purchased something that is almost definitely stolen.

It is worthless.

You have been ripped off.

Learn from this episode.

#5 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:18 AM

I dont want to sound harsh,

but are you stupid?

You bought a second hand motor without checking the engine number.

Whats written on the receipt? " Sold,one old motor"?

You have purchased something that is almost definitely stolen.

It is worthless.

You have been ripped off.

Learn from this episode.

hey hey, hold on there. it's not worthless, nor have i been ripped off.
ive called vic roads and they seem to think it needs to be run by a police authority so it can be re stamped. i mean this could have been done in the 70's, i don't think it can be proven, nor can it be dis proven without an engine number. correct me if i am wrong.

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:30 AM

ive called vic roads and they seem to think it needs to be run by a police authority so it can be re stamped.

Ring again on Monday and see if you get the same answer.

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, take it down the cop shop for them to look at and decide.

#8 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

I've never tried it but have been told ,paint it with battery acid and the number may show itself , I would want to find out ,just out of interest , have you checked the date code behind the oil filter ?

#9 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

I'd try TBM's acid method to try & pick up the number. I believe Police use an x-ray method to locate numbers that have been machined off but i also heard it takes time (weeks-months) & is expensive. Something to consider before heading down the cop shop with your engine or fitting it to your car.

#10 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

i might call the cop shop again. the lady from the vic roads office kindly told me that with a ground off engine number i would be classified as a high risk appointment, they would check the car then refer me to a police department who would do further checking. at this stage i might call the police directly and ask. i wouldn't call myself stupid just a little naive as ive never purchased any engines with the intention of modifying them so none of these checklist items came to mind. right now im in a difficult position as the bloke i purchased from is playing me around, hes not answering my calls, the one time i got through on a private number he just b/shi%$ed throughout the conversation, asked him to write me out a proper receipt for the car and hes like yeah yeah text me the details, ive texted him and called to confirm but no answer.

so i really dont know what i can do... on the other hand the engine has another code on the block other that the engine code, could this help?

#11 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

If it turns out the Engine is stolen you can be charged with receiving stolen goods. I bought a UC that was declared stolen, i did the check and went to the cop shop to ask them and they said i was lucky i picked it up because if i got pulled over in the car i would of been in deeeep shit

#12 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

This is going to be more trouble than it is worth unless the engine is a sought after type (JP, NP, JL). Engine number are not accidentally ground off on 202 engines, the only inference that can be drawn is that the engine has at some stage been stolen, perhaps recovered and legitimately put back into circulation, notwithstanding when you turn up to get it regoed you are going to get the rounds of the kitchen regarding the missing number. When the Police get involved, as they inevitably will, you will need the receipt for the purchase of the engine and the details of the person you bought it from. Telling them you bought it from a guy on E-Bay (or similiar) and you no longer remember where he lives or how to contact him is not going to cut it. As I said, unless the engine is a sought after one the trouble you will have to go to to verify its legitimacy and possibly take the risk of explaining to a Magistrate how it came into your possession is not worth the hassle. You could post the other numbers on the block and head and the gurus here can tell you what it is you really have, if it is a common garden variety QL block it would make a great boat anchor................

#13 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

This is going to be more trouble than it is worth unless the engine is a sought after type (JP, NP, JL). Engine number are not accidentally ground off on 202 engines, the only inference that can be drawn is that the engine has at some stage been stolen, perhaps recovered and legitimately put back into circulation, notwithstanding when you turn up to get it regoed you are going to get the rounds of the kitchen regarding the missing number. When the Police get involved, as they inevitably will, you will need the receipt for the purchase of the engine and the details of the person you bought it from. Telling them you bought it from a guy on E-Bay (or similiar) and you no longer remember where he lives or how to contact him is not going to cut it. As I said, unless the engine is a sought after one the trouble you will have to go to to verify its legitimacy and possibly take the risk of explaining to a Magistrate how it came into your possession is not worth the hassle. You could post the other numbers on the block and head and the gurus here can tell you what it is you really have, if it is a common garden variety QL block it would make a great boat anchor................

yeah i get your point. well i know where he lives, i have his number, i have the original advertisement on ebay, so that works in my favour. i spoke to the police and they refered me to the organized motor vehicle theft squad, and as far as i know it is checked an re-birthed. as for cost etc i have no clue i will have to call them Monday. ive already posted information on the motor, particularly the numbers on the head. on thing i do have is i remember seeing a cast on the block next to the '202' casting, ill go write it down see what i can get out of that.. as for rego troubles, i realize its a long process, i already spoke to vic roads about it and the lady said they dont charge extra but they can speak for the police, but when it goes in for inspection they will already know what the deal is.

another option is to rego it with the 173 and put the 202 in later, which is probably not a good idea and i dont think i could live with something not being 'legitimate' as i put a lot of work and money into this car and its not worth throwing the legitimacy of it all away with a motor that's troublesome.

cheers for the responses, really i was just after some hands on advice from people who have encountered this situation before. like you said it could have been stolen 25 years ago and recirculated so i dont know.

as for those suggesting to use battery acid, probably not a bad idea, i think i can see a hint of a cast but they haven't just ground the surface, there is a massive groove on the engine mount

#14 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

so i just tried the battery acid technique, apart from burning myself i could barely see one number so it didnt help..

although there is a cast code on the side of the block behind the oil filter which reads 15j2. i googled it no luck, i dont know if anyone can make sense of this.

#15 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

does anyone knows what this number may mean?

#16 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

cast on 15/11/1972 i believe...

I can give you a number off a rooted 202 i have here to stamp onto it..

#17 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

update to anyone wondering what the process is. after speaking to the OMVTS. i was advised that i have to put the motor in, get knocked back from vic roads, call them, they will come out free of charge to see if they can bring up a number, if they can, motor is sent off for 6-8 months for forensic testing. ouch... might as well get a new block.. now i have to work out how to get my money back off this bloke without getting violent..

#18 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

it was quite common in the 80s to remove engine no's from worn out original engines and restamp them into your new built deck heighted fresh pad engines. Why.. because no rego hassles, and you could drive your car the same day. So not all ground off engines are stolen, but if xrayed there may be 2 engines with that number. yours would be the real one.

does anyone know how deep the xray can read numbers, hopefully all the way.

#19 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

well thats the thing, all im concerned about is that if tests come up positive for any theft im out of pocket 500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users