That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

Hi all

Decided it was time to get my teeth into another project, so here it is. It was originally someone else's project in the early stages but he was unable to continue with it, I picked it up last weekend.

DSCN0547.jpg
DSCN0550.jpg

Its originally a low mileage Sunbird, came with many parts for a V8 conversion, flares etc so that's the way I'll be going.

Will be 308, TH350, 12 bolt diff
DSCN0552.jpg
DSCN0551.jpg

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

I've been setting up a rotisserie for it which is nearly done, removed the doors etc and stored them away safely for now
DSCN0578.jpg
DSCN0581.jpg

A bit of rust under the rear windscreen, but overall the car is very good. The driver door also needs some attention along with a few small bits here and there.
DSCN0558.jpg
(the yellow bit is a fresh piece of sandpaper that was used to bog up against!)
DSCN0559.jpg

I've yet to remove the front windscreen but I don't think there will be too many horrors there judging by the rest of the car (fingers crossed)

Must have been some corrosion in the battery tray as some of it has been cut out, decided I'd better fix this before lifting it by the bumper bar mount (which attaches to this panel, one of the bolts goes where the big hole is)
DSCN0583.jpg

Made a new piece
DSCN0585.jpg

Welded in and primed, just need to drill the new hole for that bolt
DSCN0591.jpg

The plan is to get it onto the rotisserie this week, which will be on wheels so I can move it around to make life a lot easier with the limited space. Hopefully things will start moving a bit quicker then.

I already have the paint thanks to a friend who had a change of mind on the paint for his project, it will be orange with A9X style blackout bonnet etc.

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 10:43 PM.

#3 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

looks to be a pretty good starting point, body looks pretty straight

#4 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

Looks like fun : )

Haven't seen a set of those wheels in donkies years.

I can never quite decide if i love them or hate them. They have good dish, but the design is a bit strange.

All the best with the project anyways Posted Image

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

Yeah the body is pretty good, the trim around the windows is very nice too but I won't be needing that...

I don't mind the wheels, they are 15x10 rear and 15x7 front. I think I will probably paint the recessed areas black though in similar fashion to how Hotwires (and regular Turbos) are done, that should give them a bit more contrast

#6 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

Could be good, sounds like a job for Photochop Posted Image

#7 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

Awesome, will be good to see how it turns out. Trademe special?

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

Got it through a friend of a friend. It was listed on Trademe for a bit, but all you get there is silly questions from tyre kickers and people who want to split up a perfectly good project for parts

#9 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

Yea I remeber seeing that one (Trademe) and thinking "what a sweet project". Too many old holdens are split up for parts, I see a guy has had his monaro project for sale for over a year and now he's had to split it. Moment that happens everyone its on it like seagulls to 'fush n chups'.

#10 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Removed the front windscreen, very happy with the amount of rust!

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg

#11 _RUNNIN LOW_

_RUNNIN LOW_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

verylucky wish my front window was that rust free.

#12 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

Removed the front windscreen, very happy with the amount of rust!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now you're just gloating.... :spoton:

Get it out without breaking this one?

#13 _hatch76_

_hatch76_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

looks like a good base to start with. Very lucky with front window. Mine was much the same when I pulled it out.
Do you have a colour in mind?

#14 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Now you're just gloating.... :spoton:

Get it out without breaking this one?

I had to tell everyone, the VK I did last was quite good (just some light scale/pitting) but I don't think I've ever seen a Holden with no rust at all under a screen - all the original paint is there!

No problems with breaking Torana windows, they use the rubber seal with removable bead front and rear. Its the glue in HQ-WB ones that I hate.

Do you have a colour in mind?

Yes as I mentioned above I've got the paint sitting here ready, it will be orange with A9X style black bonnet etc. Its kind of a Hemi orange I believe, hoping it will turn out OK!

#15 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:54 PM

Looks like they kept the front half undercover and the rear half out in the weather. Thats unbelievable! Nice project. Sounds like you've got a good plan and will look awesome with those wheels done how you described them. Good luck.

#16 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

^ could be, perhaps nose in a car port or something?

Got it up onto the rotisserie today, nice and easy to wheel around the garage now. I need to do something with the fuel tank before I roll it but it seems to be well enough balanced.

DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0605.jpg

The T pieces at either end have a hole in the top so I can lift them with the engine crane, and the back mount is hinged so I can lift that end first.

#17 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

wish i had a rotisserie when i did mine, would of been so much easier

#18 _hatch76_

_hatch76_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

wish i had a rotisserie when i did mine, would of been so much easier

with you on that one

#19 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

First time I've used a rotisserie too, looking forward to it. Hopefully get stuck in and remove the fuel tank tomorrow then I can roll it over.

Not much today, removed the tail lights, rear trim etc and a few bits of interior trim along with the head lining. No nasty surprises which is great

DSCN0607.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#20 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

I've been a bit slack so far this week, removed the tank on the weekend and tipped the car 90 degrees only to decide that I wasn't happy with the weight distribution, too bottom heavy. The measurements I copied must have allowed for the windscreens still to be in or something.

So today I moved it into the middle of the garage (I love having it on wheels) and removed it from the rotisserie so I could modify the mounting points to bring it up 50mm. The pivot point is now 150mm above the bumper bar mounts. Also made a slight improvement based on an idea borrowed from one of these forums, rather than a handle I just used a bolt head so I can spin it with a ratchet or bar:
DSCN0621.jpg

Its still slightly bottom heavy but not much and spins very nicely now.
DSCN0622.jpg

Now to get into working on the car itself! Aiming for rust repairs and underbody to be sorted by the end of the month.

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:20 AM

Finally got it outside and cleaned it up a bit with the water blaster

DSCN0630.jpg
DSCN0631.jpg

This also removed the POR15 in the engine bay a little too easily (I believe its not UV resistant and it has been out in the weather for a bit) so I removed as much as I could:
DSCN0632.jpg
The engine bay will end up body colour anyway

#22 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

Got a start on the rust today, right side of rear windscreen. Had to chop out a bit more than I had envisaged to do it properly:
DSCN0636.jpg

After stitching a few bits in, just need to do the top layer now:
DSCN0646.jpg

The other side should be a lot simpler, also one or two smaller holes further up that will need some metal.

Edited by 76lxhatch, 21 July 2017 - 10:45 PM.

#23 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

Finished that corner:
DSCN0653.jpg

Just metal finished with a protective coat of etch primer at present, will give it a light skim of filler to smooth it out when it comes to painting

#24 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

It's a bout bloody time you found some rust! Looking good :spoton:

#25 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

The other side isn't as nice as first thought either, and there's a hole at the bottom of the driver side where the front guard bolts on, and a peppering of small holes in the rear beaver panel and bottom of the radiator support. The boot floor is also a bit scaly on both sides. Oh, and there are a couple of small holes in the under side of the plenum. Does that make you feel a little better? smile.gif

Removed the steering column and remaining wiring etc from under the dash last night. Its so much easier to get in there when the car is sideways on the rotisserie! Bonus is that it doesn't want to lean to the driver side as much any more since the weight is now a bit more even.
DSCN0655.jpg

Decided I wanted to do something a bit more interesting today, so I started on the right rear flare. (Thanks again to Ruts for his guide!)

The flares I have are obviously cheapies, and I tried placing them in a few different positions, but I just couldn't get it right due to the twist, particularly on the door piece. They have also been trimmed back a long way at the outer edges which doesn't help. However, I remembered the flares that used to be on my hatch - they are L34 design but one piece, and they are obviously a lot better made and shaped. So, despite being a bit broken, they make an excellent template:
DSCN0661.jpg

The new ones don't follow the lines exactly, but after tracing around the one piece flare it was much easier to get them in a good position:
[img]http://img.v8comp.co...an/DSCN0664.jpg
Still some tweaking required to the flares themselves and some minor bracketry to hold them in the correct spot, but I'm quite happy with the placement now.

Now that I know where the flare is going to go, I made a quick plan on what to cut:
DSCN0667.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users