LH wiring help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _stcos85_

_stcos85_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

just starting to look at the wiring on my LH and came across a few issues that I hope someone can help me with. looked in my manual but cannot find any purple wires on my diagram.

first issue is what I found above the gearbox tunnel. there are 2 purple wires and a light and darker green wire plus one orange wire that seems to go under the car. The purple wires have been badly looped back and none are connected anywhere but I think they go to a switch on the side of the gear selector. I have attached a few pics. can anyone confirm that these 4 wires go to the small switch in pic 2 and if so what terminals.
Also what does the orange one do?

Posted Image

Posted Image

the other issue I found is behind the tacho. there seems to be a wire missing, next to it it says brown but the only spare wire I found with the right connector in the area is a red wire. It has been fitted with an SLR dash at some point. All the rest is wired up and seems to have the correct wires. Does anyone know if I should be connecting the red wire.

If anyone can help me with these few issues it would be appreciated.

#2 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

DONOT CONNECT THE RED WIRE!

Just incase it blows up..... or something. :)

Red is usually +. & the brown wire is for the ?????? tacho??/?

I don't have a wiring diagram handy, so i'll chime out now.

#3 _JadeGreenLHSLR_

_JadeGreenLHSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

On the manual gearboxes the green wires go to ur reverse switch as for the purple ones, at a guess id say maybe thats the neutral start, hence why they have been joined?? have u got a multimeter so you could ohm out the switch t c whats its doing?
Waz

#4 _JadeGreenLHSLR_

_JadeGreenLHSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...=1

Check this out, the purple is ur neutral safety starter switch, so thatl connect to the points on that switch that close when its in neutral.

Also try this http://peterpam.cust...t.au/lxwire.jpg

Edited by JadeGreenLHSLR, 13 October 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Yep, green ones are reverse light and purple ones are neutral safety switch, both of which are operated by the shifter. Put an ohmmeter on each pair of two pins on the shifter switch to see what positions they connect at - the reverse switch pair will only be connected in the reverse position, and the neutral safety switch pair will only be connected in park and neutral. Since the switch has been bypassed it may not have been operating correctly, could simply need adjusting or may need replacing.

#6 _stcos85_

_stcos85_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

Yep, green ones are reverse light and purple ones are neutral safety switch, both of which are operated by the shifter. Put an ohmmeter on each pair of two pins on the shifter switch to see what positions they connect at - the reverse switch pair will only be connected in the reverse position, and the neutral safety switch pair will only be connected in park and neutral. Since the switch has been bypassed it may not have been operating correctly, could simply need adjusting or may need replacing.

I checked the switch and it does seem to operate but when in park and reverse positions the same pins make the circuit. Its only when i put it in neutral it changes pins. I assume the positions are Park, reverse, neutral, drive etc. Only asking this as i haven't had it running yet. Still curious about why the purple wires were looped back. Could the switch be the wrong one as it does seem to only change when it goes to neutral.
Also any ifeas about the orange?

#7 _Tuflx8_

_Tuflx8_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Yep! I can confirm what 76lxhatch has said for the green wires being connected to the reverse lights and the purple being the neutral safety switch. As for the orange, do you have a light inside the shifter case for when you turn on your interior lights? This could be for that, otherwise, trace it back with a multimeter set on DC volts! You will be looking for 12v between this wire and earth whenever there is power on the circuit. Goodluck!

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

Still curious about why the purple wires were looped back. Could the switch be the wrong one as it does seem to only change when it goes to neutral.

The purple wires are connected because otherwise the car won't start. The switch may be damaged if it doesn't operate correctly, they do wear out.

#9 _HRV8_

_HRV8_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

Yep, the green is reverse, they were probably extended to a switch on g/box? Did a manual come out? The purple are for the neutral safety switch (only start in park/neutral) purple from ignition switch (start pos)and purple to starter motor. The orange I do believe which goes to your auto box is for Kick-down and comes from a switch at accellerator (usually at 100% throttle). Lastly a Grey wire is Illumination ( ta see what gear ya in at night) heh....heh.... Umm your loom with those connectors is an Automatic Loom. In the manual loom the purple wire goes straight to the Starter motor, hence the very pore jumper wire pushed into the connector with purple wires !! Also your new shifter switch's are top one=Reverse lights, bottom=Neutral Switch. And now Tacho, Pink is the Ignition feed to the Gauges, the brown should have continuity to the Negative terminal of your coil, so that when the distributor send's a negative pulse to fire the coil it also sends a pulse to the tacho. The RED wire is for the AMP or Volt gauge, If not, it has been added in at some time and could be for the tacho pulse so check for power first then continuity with a multi meter. Hope this helps you out.
Regards.

#10 _stcos85_

_stcos85_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

thanks for all the replies. Gives me something to work with now and sure I can sort it out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users