Wish List

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#51 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

I ordered my battery tray a few days ago and got a phone call from AutoOne stating it's ready for me to pickup.

I will go get it tomorrow if my son is not working as right now I have no car :)

Cheers
Herne

#52 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

As toranamat69 said, anyone with half an idea could make a cotterpin removal tool, i just did it with a hammer and a brick, and thats with a V8 in the way.

That's disappointing Makka and again not helpful-my cotter pins are still stuck.
I suppose you are thinking that if rarespares spends time on the tool they'll have less time for you wish?

People are wishing for original type replacement battery trays, when there are plenty of plastic trays which will do the job............I dont have a problem with that either. Isnt this what the wishlists about?
If rarespares doesn't have the demand or ability to make the tool thats fine with me, no need for nasty comment from you.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 18 May 2006 - 09:58 AM.

#53 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

Just to add, the battery sheet metal and the batery tray and engine bay grommets are things that I also need.

devilsadvocate: If your having difficulty with the cotter pins, I can come over and show you how it's done if you like.

#54 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:09 PM

Plastic Battery Tray.

Les, I got a plastic tray a little while ago.

Why do they have the dimpled surface?

The edging is sharp and not squared of as per orig.

They feel brittal and hard.

Yes they are better than nothing but it appears that better quality control could have resulted in a better product.

I don't mind paying good money for a good product but I think this item is a little below par.

I hope you view this as constructive criticism.

Cause if RS don't get it right, they will be hard to shift for top dollar.

#55 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

My only wish.........the cotter pin removal tool for steering couplings.
Would pay up to $100 to get one.

DA, I've usually braced the steering shaft with half bricks and wood and hit the little buggers - and heated up the coupling with a bare flame from a gas soldering iron on occasions, but if yours are really stuck, can I suggest the following (and hope you can understand what I mean). I've thought about making it, but luckily I haven't met any cotter pins that didn't respond to a dose of RP7, gentle taps, and the odd heating up with a gas powered soldering iron.

Get hold of one of the cheap general purpose steering wheel pullers, the type with a centre bolt through a cast steel piece which is designed to be tightened up against the steering column shaft. The cast steel piece has slots in either end for screwing bolts through, and into the steering wheel hub. Some I've seen have a thick collar (like a really thick washer) which fits onto the end of the centre bolt. This would be the best type to get.

Now, make up a flat plate out of strong steel about the same size and shape as the cast steel piece, with a hole in the centre that will fit over the non threaded end of the cotter pin while it is in the coupling. Drill holes in either side which lines up with the outer holes on the steering wheel puller. Find some nuts to suit the outer bolts supplied, and assemble the steering wheel puller around the cotter pin with the flat plate you made up on the non threaded end, cast steel piece on the threaded end, bolts through either side to tighten the two parts together, use the collar on the centre 'pushing' bolt to locate it centrally on the cotter pin, and tighten the central bolt. The cotter pin might still need a few taps, but I'd reckon that this setup would work OK. The plate that you make up would need to be reasonably strong though to stop it from bending, so maybe a bit of angle iron would do it instead of a flat plate.

Does that make any sense??

#56 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for that Dangerous.
Did actually try what you suggested a while back,(as Ive got a steering wheel puller), but couldnt find anything strong enough to fit(there's not much room around the back side for anything but the correct tool) to the back.......just succeeded in bending the metal brace in........might have another look at and see if I can get a heavy compact piece of high grade metal from a local trailer manufacturer made to the right size with appropriate sized holes etc.

#57 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

engine bay grommets are things that I also need.

TORANR AMORE
Engine bay grommets as well as clips are high on the agenda we are collecting samples as we speak
Les

#58 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

How about the tool for fitting the chrome Mylar windshield seal retaining strip?

Edited by Toranavista, 18 May 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#59 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

The Baron

�Why do they have the dimpled surface?�

We have had great difficulty getting smooth plastic unless we buy unrealistic quantities

�The edging is sharp and not squared of as per orig.�

I think I know what you mean I will put an IR in on the product (I can not remember what IR means but it is used of products that have a problem maybe it means improvement require but it gets things happening)

�They feel brittle and hard.�

This will be covered in the IR

Thanks for the feedback
Les

#60 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

How about the tool for fitting the chrome Mylar windshield seal retaining strip?

These are available from speciality tool suppliers and most spare parts stores could probably order one in for you

#61 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I spent a few hours today ringing around specialty tool shops and auto parts suppliers and panel beaters suppliers. No luck. I found one on ebay but not sure if the width is correct. I will have ago at making one. Carnt be too hard to make. Just thought it was a logical progression since you must sell heaps of the mylar strip.

#62 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. I spent a few hours today ringing around specialty tool shops and auto parts suppliers and panel beaters suppliers. No luck. I found one on ebay but not sure if the width is correct. I will have ago at making one. Carnt be too hard to make. Just thought it was a logical progression since you must sell heaps of the mylar strip.

Let me check tomorrow and see what I can find

#63 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

Cheers Les.

#64 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:22 PM

Gday Les. I am in the final stages of a body restoration on a HG Prem. I found that nearly all cars I looked at had a rusty section on the front side of the rear wheel arch. The bit at the end of the sill. We had to fabricate up a new section, but if rares did one of these I would have bought it quick smart.

Posted Image

#65 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

LX406
Thanks I will add it to the list
Les

#66 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

Geez i dont think les will need to do any thinking about "what to make next" !! I think it'll be how are we going to make all this stuff!

#67 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:18 PM

Dear Mr Les,

I wish for you to make a complete A9X Torana, and if it could be done by next weekend that would be tops.

Kind regards,

Adam

#68 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

Geez i dont think les will need to do any thinking about "what to make next" !! I think it'll be how are we going to make all this stuff!

Thats the whole point

Les doesn't have to THINK of things to make
We'll do that
He just needs to prioritise WHEN to make them

#69 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

Dear Mr Les,

I wish for you to make a complete A9X Torana, and if it could be done by next weekend that would be tops. 

Kind regards,

Adam

Adam
That�s a bit tough can I have a least 10 days
Les

#70 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:05 AM

Plastic Battery Tray.

Les, I got a plastic tray a little while ago.

Why do they have the dimpled surface?

The edging is sharp and not squared of as per orig.

They feel brittal and hard.

Yes they are better than nothing but it appears that better quality control could have resulted in a better product.

I don't mind paying good money for a good product but I think this item is a little below par.

I hope you view this as constructive criticism.

Cause if RS don't get it right, they will be hard to shift for top dollar.

Les.

I bit the bullet ordered and collected my battery tray a few days ago.

I dont mind the tiny dimple effect on the bottom of the tray and although I have not fitted the part due to my engine bay being stripped out but I do not think the dimples will show and even if they do they will not worry me.

I found the edging on my tray not to be sharp, maybe Barons one somehow slipped through a tad unfinished?

The problem I see is and here I totally agree with Baron it does appear that it could be very brittle. Time will tell but I thought the tray would have been made from a plastic material slightly more pliable.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 22 May 2006 - 10:08 AM.

#71 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

This took longer than I thought try one of our customers Oz Auto Moulds
03 97058500
Les

#72 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

This took longer than I thought try one of our customers Oz Auto Moulds
03 97058500
Les

Thanks for your help Les. Tool is on its way :spoton:

#73 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

G'day Les, how about a run of the full color, illustrated parts catalogue you had at the FastLane member's night??
And any idea what's happening with the 30yr promo dvd's? Was promised one ages ago and Leith isn't returning my e-mails... Grrr....

Dick

#74 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:31 PM

G'day Les, how about a run of the full color, illustrated parts catalogue you had at the FastLane member's night??
And any idea what's happening with the 30yr promo dvd's? Was promised one ages ago and Leith isn't returning my e-mails... Grrr....

Dick

Dick
There were some legal problems with the DVD�s I am not sure at stage we are at. Leith has been under the pump, we have just moved in to a new warehouse as well as the new shop and he is a long way behind and sometime very forgetful but he should answer your emails though I will have a chat to him.

If only it was viable to produce that catalogue I would love to
Les

#75 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:45 AM

Thanks Les, hope to see you at the opening of R.Park.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users