• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hey guys,

Anyone heading out to the MSCA sprint day at Mallala this Sunday?

I'm taking my torry out for my first taste of racing, been itching to get into some sort of hillclimb or racing for years but being a broke uni student sort of holds you back! Those days are gone and now I'm working but still broke due to building a couple of houses ha ha it never ends. Its not a race setup car but maybe once I get a taste for it that could change...

Really looking forward to a good day of fun. I have been fortunate enough to have a friend at the MG Car Club organise for me to be able to head out and compete, should be an interesting array of cars, not sure if there will be any other Torries around.

I'm also currently rigging up a in car camera mount so will post a few vids of my expected average driving lol.

If anyone is heading out (guessing most will be at the HTC cruise) feel free to come say hi. I'll be driving my White LJ 2 door (XU-1 Replica)...

Cheers

Dave

#2 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Good luck Dave.

Look forward to seeing your video.

#3 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

I will if I can, might even bring the little bloke along for a while.

#4 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Craig hopefully the camera rig works well.

No probs Baron come say hi if you do get a chance.

Cheers

Dave

#5 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Blake

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

hey Dave

is anybody else allowed out onto the track or do you need certain things done to your car, or are you a registered member etc?? what are the details? dads interested in taking out his 68 camaro his just finished.

Cheers mate :D

#6 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hey Blake,

Not sure if you can still enter but you just have to be a member of an affiliated car club with the MSCA. Here is their website http://www.mscasa.com/ they only have clubs like MG, Mini, BMW, Alfa Romeo...no Torana or Chev affiliates. It doesnt matter what car you have just have to be a member of an affiliated club and you can drive anything you want. I have been looked after by a friend at the MG Car Club so im now a member with them.

Get into contact with the MSCA they might be able to help you out. Is your Dad a member of any clubs? This may help if he is.

Dont need anything done to the car just need a fire extinguisher mounted in front of the passenger seat or somewhere in reach. A piece of cord or rope tied to inside of bonnet as a cautionary device, a helmet and cant wear synthetic clothing (jeans are fine with a long sleeve cotton top) plus leather shoes.

It costs about $50 for the cams license ( pay another $50 within 2 months and you get a year membership to all other events) $20 for MSCA membership and $75 for competing.

Basically you do 4-5 practice laps then they time you and pair you up with someone of similar speed. Everyone is put into groups and they set each pair off at 5 second intervals. Think you get a few goes for the day.

Would be awesome to see his Camaro out there!

Feel free to pm me if you have any other queries.

Let me know how you go.

Dave

#7 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

I'll be there,cant wait!...good luck with your racing debut mate...regards...stretch

#8 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Stretch.

I havent driven the car properly for about a year or so, should be interesting.

Cheers

Dave

#9 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

hey dave

thanks for your help mate, may just head out for a quick look in the camaro maybe, hope the weather holds up for some quality sun :)

make sure ya get some pics of your car in action too!

Cheers Blake

#10 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hi Dave.
It was certainly a nice day for it and it looked like you had fun in the time trials. (cause of dust was??)
In fact, from what I saw and the people I spoke too, this could get addictive.
Unfortunately I could not hang around so I did not see the later events. How did you go?

#11 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

Hey Baron,

Thanks for coming to say hi, it was great to meet you!

Had a great day and yes the weather was bloody perfect.

My car being just a nice street car didnt stand the pace with most cars but was still great fun pushing the car to its limits and probably more so pushing past my driving ability. Its just nice to know that if you come off you probably wont hit anything, and I certainly came off the track more than once, not out there to baby it around after all.

My second stage went well and I had a good rhythm going, doing more consistent laps. The third I would rather forget picking the wrong gear on the 3rd corner ruining my run then coming off the track on the next lap at the end of the boomerang straight (same spot as when you saw me come off before) and then off again at turn 2! ha ha but loved every minute of it.

Times were nothing great just around the 1:42s was where I was averaging. But maybe with the triple strombergs on and a lsd diff for next time I can do a bit better. Was tougher in later stages with more traffic to let through to focus on my own time, but was more out there just to give it a go.

Like you said this could get very addictive!

Cheers

Dave

#12 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

hey mate.

did you happen to get any audio or pictures from the day?

Cheers

#13 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hey just got some photos back today from my mate.

Had a few dramas with the in car camera due to vibrations and by the time I got it sorted the battery was flat and only managed to record the warm up lap on the last race. Will have it sorted for next time though.

Had an absolute great time and pretty keen to slowly develop the car over the next few years in to a full Group Nc race car much to my wifes delight....I mean disgust. Ha ha

Attached File  Pic 1.JPG   355.16K   5 downloads
Attached File  Pic 2.JPG   239.15K   3 downloads
Attached File  Pic 3.JPG   444.39K   3 downloads
Attached File  Pic 4.JPG   371.49K   4 downloads
Attached File  Pic 5.JPG   410.25K   3 downloads
Attached File  Pic 6.JPG   391.68K   3 downloads
Attached File  Pic 7.JPG   423.62K   3 downloads

#14 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Looks like a great experience. Would be great to have a fang about in your car on the race track. Might have to look into it myself.........

#15 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Now Dave, care to explain the dust in the last photo. :3gears:

#16 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Ha ha thanks for pointing that out Baron! I guess I may have come into the hairpin a little "hot" and had an encounter with the gravel.

#17 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

not bad at all, car looks great mate, you must of had a ball. do you have any engine bay or interior photos? also i was lookin at building a Group nc xu1 one day, i love watchin them. congrats on your efforts out at mallala !!

Cheers Blake

#18 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Blake was great fun. Just the one photo of each, dont really have a good shot of the interior. Got a set of 175cd triples for it the other week but they're currently being rebuilt, hopefully get 'em back this week.
Was thinkin I'll just make small modifications like diff, springs, brakes, seats, so I can keep it on the road for a while longer and do a few more sprints (improve my driving ability hopefully). Maybe build another motor for it slowly over the next year. Then when I'm ready get it resprayed and do the roll cage and go from there.

Just trying to sort out a plan for the build now. Probably take a couple of years to get the car to where I would like it.

Let me know if you do the same thing, would be good to have someone to bounce ideas off and go to local events with.

Got some pics of your car? Is it on the road or work in progress?

Cheers

Attached File  Pic 8.JPG   308.58K   1 downloads
Attached File  Engine Bay 012.jpg   1.12MB   1 downloads

#19 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

hey mate

its all the little things that count to help your lap times. you would be suprised what a big brake booster would do to help your braking, maybe a HEI dissy if you havnt got one, the triple 175s should help aswell, also maybe look into gettin some semi slicks by yokohama which the group NC's use. once knew of a bloke who switched from road tyres to a 2nd set of semi slicks and was improving lap times by like 3 seconds or something even more rediculous. btw who in adelaide is rebuilding your triples?

and yeah mate, my cars a current project, currently repairing all the rust, should be ready for primer pretty soon, its an lc xu1 mock up, hopefully lime green, with a bit of a hotty engine, and when its done i definately wanna go to mallala in it, maybe agaisnt ya one day ! haha

Cheers Blake

#20 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:51 PM

Sounds good mate. Look forward to seein you roar round Mallala.

Have to send me some pics, always love seeing projects.

Definitely right about the small modifications, will focus on the brakes and tyres first and worry bout the engine later.

My Uncle is a mechanic and has owned 20 or so XU1's over the years, he also used to race a lot of Torries back in the day. Still builds high performance engines, so got him doing my triples atm. I think his business is still called "Gagliardi Engine Develoments", based in Clapham bout 10mins south of Adelaide.

Cheers

Dave

#21 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

Now Dave, care to explain the dust in the last photo. Posted Image

Probably trying to keep the back of the car x---t off the fence.???? in joke he eha.

#22 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

if you want to have a look , heres my car in the member projects section: http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=43470

Cheers Blake

#23 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

Yup, piss off the road tyres and you'll be good for 5 seconds or better a lap.

#24 _Big Fella_

_Big Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yup, piss off the road tyres and you'll be good for 5 seconds or better a lap.

definately a good idea.
i scored some ex formula ford semi slicks off a dude on evil bay.
He gets them regularly, they use them once at practice days and then turf em.
the rears off the formula ford fit perfectly on 13 x 7 rims.
and they only cost me $40 bucks each!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Looking forward to the next sprint day and seeing what difference the mods make (when I get around to doing them). Hoping to have the brakes, tyres, diff and triples all done and ready to go...
Plus having a bit of knowledge now about the track I should be able to knock a fair bit of time off for my second time out.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users