Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi, just had a look at rare spares website cause i was checking out the price of new rear glass for my LX and quater glass as well.
A few weeks ago you could get nearly every peice of glass for our Torana's but now they only list a rear screen for the lc model.

Pretty lame I reckon, like if none of us are ever going to break some glass on our cars or need new restoration glass.

Does any one know what the go is with this or am I winging for no reason.
Im really dissapointed as I was just about ready to purchase a rear screen and quater glass for my car but now I have to go shopping elsewhere.

So does anyone know where to purchase Torry glass from at the same price or cheaper than rarespares, would be greatly appreciated.
I cant see how they call themselves rare spares if you cant get rare spares!!! what!!!Posted Image

I'll take all my winging back if this was just a website error, I hope so.

Cheers

#2 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

Try O'Briens, Rares would only have been reselling their glass anyway.

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

The hatchback glass has been on their site, but unavailable for well over a year - I have been hassling them since last October. They have only just got around to removing them.

O'Brians had a rear hatch screen about 6 months ago but that is it.

Rares have been selling the Veh glass hatchback stuff, not Obriens - VehGlass keep telling me they will be doing new stuff shortly but havn't done it yet.

They did have a hatch rear screen too last time I rang them but I want one without the demister so I didn't get it.

You have just reminded me, I might ring them and check again tomorrow as I haven't checked with them for a couple of months.

#4 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Veh Glass rang me today and told me they have done a small batch of LH and RH hatchback door glasses. Only 4 sets left so if you want them, get in fast. I have mine in the post already.

Ph:03 94694966

They are working on the rear 1/4 windows now.

They will not be doing rear screens.

I found a guy in NSW that will custom make rear screens in Laminated glass if you want them. Let me know and i will post his details.
I might do this soon, but I am going to try Polycarbonate first, if i am not happy, i may arrange for rear a laminated rear screen.

Matt

#5 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hi, just had a look at rare spares website cause i was checking out the price of new rear glass for my LX and quater glass as well.
A few weeks ago you could get nearly every peice of glass for our Torana's but now they only list a rear screen for the lc model.

Pretty lame I reckon, like if none of us are ever going to break some glass on our cars or need new restoration glass.

Does any one know what the go is with this or am I winging for no reason.
Im really dissapointed as I was just about ready to purchase a rear screen and quater glass for my car but now I have to go shopping elsewhere.

So does anyone know where to purchase Torry glass from at the same price or cheaper than rarespares, would be greatly appreciated.
I cant see how they call themselves rare spares if you cant get rare spares!!! what!!!Posted Image

I'll take all my winging back if this was just a website error, I hope so.

Cheers

It's not that we wanted to drop the glass , we had so many problems with the manufacturer which in turn caused customer complaints we had no choice. We are now looking at OS suppliers for complete sets of glass but as always we have a lot of products in front of the glass.
Les

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

^^ I thought rear screens were only toughened, that's generally why they don't crack when you push them out, as opposed to front screens that crack sooner than look at them. That's from a 4 door perspective, hatches may be different due to how horizontal and flat the rear hatch glass sits.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 30 October 2010 - 08:18 PM.

#7 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

Yeah they are originally toughened - no reason you can't use laminated though if that is all you can get - it still meets the australian standard. It is easy to get screens out without breaking them when you do it he right way - basically the reverse of installing them with the bit of insulated wire.

You could even use laminated for door glass since it runs in the bailey chanel, it won't break when you shut the door. The rear 1/4's wouldn't handle laminated glass though, too much load on them as they compress the rubber when they shut.

#8 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:58 AM

Yeah they are originally toughened - no reason you can't use laminated though if that is all you can get - it still meets the australian standard. It is easy to get screens out without breaking them when you do it he right way - basically the reverse of installing them with the bit of insulated wire.

You could even use laminated for door glass since it runs in the bailey chanel, it won't break when you shut the door. The rear 1/4's wouldn't handle laminated glass though, too much load on them as they compress the rubber when they shut.

he he
taken a few hq-z and fraurd xf-on windsceens out with wire and not had a "100%" sucess rate
got some real bistered hands but Posted Image
now i'm over it and just buy new where possible

#9 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:11 AM

I was only talking the rubber lip seal type like the Toranas - I don't play with the big Holdens.

Real bummer when you can't buy new glass though - I don't like having to use second hand if I have a choice.

Edited by Toranamat69, 31 October 2010 - 01:11 AM.

#10 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Can anyone tell me where I could buy a new hatch window, rare spares don't have it on their parts list. Has anyone tried O'brians as stated above?

The one I have now has four bad scratch marks from a blade from someone trying to remove the louvre attachments. Can the scratches be cleaned up or is the window buggered.

#11 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

I sold my spare to Andy a few years ago

He might still have it

#12 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Can anyone tell me where I could buy a new hatch window, rare spares don't have it on their parts list. Has anyone tried O'brians as stated above?

The one I have now has four bad scratch marks from a blade from someone trying to remove the louvre attachments. Can the scratches be cleaned up or is the window buggered.

woodsies windscreens in dianella

#13 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

woodsies windscreens in dianella

Plain one Dave (no demister)?

Toughened?

Do you remember the pricing?

#14 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Plain one Dave (no demister)?
Toughened?
Do you remember the pricing?

plain i think
expensive yes
was a while ago
but recall about 1200

#15 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

Thanks I have 2 in boxes with demisters but need another plain one spare I will call and go take a look.

Edited by LXSS350, 20 June 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#16 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

Why cant the original manafacure Pilkington do a re run. They trade under viridian glass and would probably still have to moulds or know where they were sold too.

The remanafactured glass looks crap when the put big black lines around the glass, theres no nead for it.

#17 _vehglass_

_vehglass_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hey guys,

We sell Hatch rear screens here at Vehglass.

With a demister on a factory green tint rear you're looking at $550 RRP

You can get just plain green factory tint @$540 with our AUS approved DOT 601 stamp. Alternatively, you can get just plain clear @$490

Hope to help you guys out,

Jenn

#18 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys,

We sell Hatch rear screens here at Vehglass.

With a demister on a factory green tint rear you're looking at $550 RRP

You can get just plain green factory tint @$540 with our AUS approved DOT 601 stamp. Alternatively, you can get just plain clear @$490

Hope to help you guys out,

Jenn

Is there a clear with demister?

#19 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Is there a clear with demister?