Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

I am,
The Monaro is,
The one tonner maybe next year..

#53 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

getting stuck into the panel work, sent the tray and some other stuff off to the powder coaters,
Posted Image

#54 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

*still suscribed*. & loving it :)

#55 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

just a few of the engine mounts being finished off.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

cutting the rear of the chassis to fit strip LED taillights, on the floor below is the battery box which will be mounted next to the fuel cell.
Posted Image

#56 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

received the guards back from the powder coaters, fitted the taillights and a few other bits and pieces. one of the sponsors has offered to paint the cab and we are awaiting for an inspection to see how they want it prepared, so things are looking good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#57 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

we picked up the rest of the powder coating with the tray, roll bar and cross member all in black, really made the boys day to see their work looking pretty. we fitted the doors to the cab to make sure there were no nasty surprises especially with the amount of welding and cutting that had gone into it. luckily there were no surprises. At the end of last week we hosted a breakfast for the sponsors, The manager of Bursons bought a friend with him who is a writer/photographer from "Aussie Brutes" magazine and he will have a story in the Feb/March issue with follow up stories as it progresses.
Posted Image
the tray all black and pretty
Posted Image
Posted Image
our version of the cross member
Posted Image

Posted Image

group photo for the magazine shoot
Posted Image
doors fitted
Posted Image
alloy being fitted to the tray, more pretty :-)

Posted Image
mounting the battery box.

#58 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

finally set up the Ebay account for the project, amazing how hard simple things can be. I have sold a bit of the old cars and have a good shopping list. fuel system, diff, etc.
a few things are happening but this time of year gets so busy.

Posted Image
Sikaflex and pop rivets
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
rams work awzoom.easy to raise and about the same as a bonnet to lower.
Posted Image
good access to the fuel cell and battery
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
the battery mount using the original VU bracket
Posted Image

#59 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

fitted the roll bar so the tray is nearing completion.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

looking great i have a old rci 3 point harness the boys can have if you need one

#61 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

Just curious, can you ask your students what the go with popped hats is? do they hide shit on top of their head so they cant pull them down all the way? lol

Looking good!

Are these kids in yr 11 or 12?

will they see the project through to completion? or will it be a rolling thing (so next years class finishes it?)

#62 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

I believe these kids are year 9 and 10, Chris. Dad will confirm but the idea was to have it completed before they finish school and get to see it race.

#63 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

ahhhh, that sounds better!

I was thinking how sucky it would be to finish up school and never get to see it finished

#64 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Well another year and another cohort, last years yr9 are still involved as yr 10, and I am keeping a steady eye on the yr 9 Auto for students to take into the class. some of the class from last yr have elected to pursue Industrial Technology Automotive in yr 11 and will still have the opportunity to continue to have some imput although it will be less intensive.
The plan for this year is to get the car up and running hopefully sooner rather than later, and to keep as many actively involved we will also be building our own car trailer. should be another big year.
We still have one of our sponsers keen to spray the top coat, so we are preping the body, this is really showing up how much metal we have replaced as basically the whole shell wil need a wipe of bog.

Posted Image
our first female student (involved in this class)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

as much as I wanted to stick with a GM drive line the lack of options with a diff, I purchased a Nine inch already converted to suit the one tonner, all brackets, brakes and handbrake cables etc. its supposed to be only the 28 spline and has a 3;5 open centre. the plan is to change to a 4;11 spooled centre. (once I find some more funds) pull it down powder coat the housing, then fit it.

Posted Image

the body work continues, a couple of the boys decided to have a go at filling the vents of a spare cowl panel and so far so good.
Posted Image

#66 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

alot of body filler has gone into the body mainly because the students get a bit carried away and remove too much, but thats how you learn. firewall and doors are close as are the guards. The aim is to get it as close as possible and painted in etch primer. It will then be transported to one of our sponsers for Hi-fill and painting. Hopefully there is about a week or 2's work left, it gets hard when we only get single periods (50 mins) at a time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Not a lot happens this week as I only get the class for a single period, next week I see them for 5 periods and we begin the next phase.
The body work is stll progressing.
But with the project going into smaller sections with there needing less bodies involved. we are going to be building a tilting car trailer. This will incorperate lots of fabrication and engineering skills, not to mention the project management of the team leaders.
most of the steel came in and everything sized and marked ready for next week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

also picked up a bit of a bargain from ebay, 2 new slicks, a little taller (30") than was planned but at the price I couldnt turn them down.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#68 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Looking good dont want to sound negative but shouldnt those boys be wearing safety glass when working on the tonner they are boys after all

#69 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

we have began to build the Trailer, seems to be coming along a lot quicker than I first thought. the students are becoming very competitive as to who is the better welder. I spent so much time showing them how maths is actually useful funny how attitudes change when they can see a real use for trigonometry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the panel beating goes on.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#70 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Awesome work, and good onya for getting the kids involved!

I remember when I went to school not so long ago, I was bad at Math and just couldnt care about the other subjects, when it came to tech studies I aced it all the time, we also had an automotives class back then was for older students, the tech teachers noticed the way I tore through projects and decided to pull me out of English to join automotive studies, we didn't have the opportunity to build a race car but did get a lot of hands on time with Briggs stratton engines and also a 202 the teacher got for me to get running, to his surprise I made it run.

It's the teachers like my tech teacher i will never forget and teachers like you that give the not so academically clever ones like me to show the world that numbers aren't everything, it would be great if they brought more hands on subject back to schools, these days most kids don't even know how to cook a basic meal, stitch a ripped shirt.

Keep up the awesome job, these kids will remember you over any other subject teacher.

Cheers

#71 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Now if we all had that many hands on a restoration it would be done in no time!

#72 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

^^ Doesnt help when you only get 5 hours a week to work on it!

#73 _jakeslxss_

_jakeslxss_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

damn i wish i did something like this back at school!! i would have actually been looking forward to go to school everyday :driving:

#74 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

Mitch is right timetabling isnt our friend this year, as for many hands, sometimes yes, most times no. explaining and re-explanning and breaking everything down to the enth degree negates speed. :driving:
Our School has just (after a lot of jumping through hoops, and dotting I's and Crossing T's) has been determined to have our Metal room and two adjacent classrooms converted to a Metals and Engineering Trade Training centre. A massive bonus for the school and should compliment our Auto section.
The car is still progressing although slower than I want. The Trailer has been a great learning tool for some of the boys and the confidence they now have with the welders and metal is fantastic, what they are yet to realise is that with all the measuring and fabricaion is I have also been teaching them Maths (shhhh)
we have also purchased a couple of shipping containers to allow me to free up space inside the workshop. of course these need shelving and racking. Guess who is making that?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
last of the body work

Posted Image
got the plasma cutter out

Posted Image

Posted Image
real maths and reading a drawing.
Posted Image
the containers are getting muraled with the help of a local artist.
Posted Image
my best welder currently is .......camera shy oh and a girl :mellow:

#75 _2DOOR_

_2DOOR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Posted Image
The racking we are making for inside the container.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users