LC/LJ wheel alignments

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

Recently helped a friend of a freind put his K frame back together but after his wheel align
it just didnt feel right so I drove his LJ & yep something was up. Checked the shim stacks &
looked OK then checked the factory measurement required at the end of the control rod attached
to the lower arm that I'd set correctly & sure enough they'd been messed with.
Attached File  rod1.jpg   230.23K   45 downloads
Attached File  rod2.jpg   366.63K   32 downloads
There was more thread on the right side than the left which resulted in the right wheel being a
little further back than the left & confirmed by measuring the distance from the gap from tyre to
guard front & back compared to the left side. So they'd obviously used the control rod to adjust the
caster rather than the shim stacks as it should be done. For acurate alignment on our LCs & Js the
amount of thread exposed must be 15/16ths of an inch (0.9375") or 23.81mm for the young un's, & all
camber & caster adjustments be done thru the shim stacks. Now maybe they didnt know or were pushed for
time, as shim type ajustments can take a lot longer if your not familiar with them, but thats no exuse it
should be done corrctly.

I dont have access to an aligner ATM but sent him to a bloke I know & all is now correct & feeling fine.
So as a tip I'd be putting a mark on the nut & threads which you can see from looking under the side &
checking them after you've had an alignment & before you pay for it.

Jono

#2 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Very useful post - thanks.

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Now maybe they didnt know or were pushed for time, as shim type ajustments can take a lot longer if your not familiar with them, but thats no exuse it
should be done correctly.

Just sloppy, their alignment system would have shown the misalignment as a difference in left/right track at minimum

#4 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:47 PM

If you wanna drive it hard and run radial tyres then that info is useless (more of a guide for initial set up of a 70's model 13 inch cross-ply tyre vehicle with negative castor and positive camber).Depends on what you want from the vehicle in question i guess.. Camber should be set via the shims evenly as possible then you should try to achieve as much positive castor as possible within reason. if this means adjusting the crap out of those castor arms then so be it. Many vehicles are made to be adjusted in this way . What they should have checked but obvoiusly didnt is the 'setback' which is not measured (let alone adjusted) by many people these days.

Edited by robslxhatch, 11 November 2010 - 09:49 PM.

#5 _Chriso_

_Chriso_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

Good info Jono.

I was not aware of the specific measurement of the control rod to locking nut. I was aware of course that camber & caster is adjusted by shims.

I have a LJ and the previous owner has ground the end of the control rod so some poorly made/adapted extractors could fit.

Question: Can anyone advise me of the measurement from the start of the thread to the end of the thread on the control rod ?

As i am just about at the front end assembly stage and this would be helpful in assembly. - Thanks

Regards Chriso.

Attached Files

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

I read somewhere that castor was to be adjusted via the radius rod and the shims were only for camber adjustment. It's in one of my many books in my library, so if I find it I will post again.

PS: The 15/16" setting is the correct initial adjustment.

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

Now maybe they didnt know or were pushed for time, as shim type ajustments can take a lot longer if your not familiar with them, but thats no exuse it

Just sloppy, their alignment system would have shown the misalignment as a difference in left/right track at minimum

Wheelbase is the word you're looking for.

#8 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:58 AM

I read somewhere that castor was to be adjusted via the radius rod and the shims were only for camber adjustment. It's in one of my many books in my library, so if I find it I will post again.

PS: The 15/16" setting is the correct initial adjustment.

:iagree: , IT is also known as a 'castor bar'. Trying to achieve the optimum castor setting via the shims often ends up with the pivot touching the edges of the shims instead of sitting flat on them) which can often cause them to come loose/pop the shims out.

#9 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:03 AM

Wheelbase is the word you're looking for.

Setback is the word your looking for. Wheelbase cannot be measured on a wheel alignment machine.

#10 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

Actually wheelbase was the word I meant to use (oops), it can be measured easily on a four wheel alignment machine and you will see the difference left to right. Setback is also a useful figure and will highlight an issue such as this when incorrectly adjusted.

#11 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

Actually wheelbase was the word I meant to use (oops), it can be measured easily on a four wheel alignment machine and you will see the difference left to right. Setback is also a useful figure and will highlight an issue such as this when incorrectly adjusted.

i have used 5 different 4 head/wheel aligners over the last 5 years and ive never seen any way they are able to measure the wheel base. Do you know what brand of Aligner can do this?? .Also some form of setback is usually present, but in most circumstances not adjustable. It can be a useful tool in diagnosing bent suspension.

Edited by robslxhatch, 12 November 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#12 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

I found the sheet from my last alignment and it definitely has wheelbase info on it, but it doesn't say anything about the alignment equipment sorry. As I said though any 4 wheel aligner should do it as a matter of course, its very basic arithmetic from the inputs given (all the data is present from the figures required to calculate all the other settings). Perhaps it isn't always on the printout though? The sheet I'm looking at here only has the differences (same for track), not the detailed figures.

#13 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

About 141.5mm from the taper to the end, chriso
Attached File  100_1837.jpg   412.05K   16 downloads

#14 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hi,
I dont want to get into race type set ups, I'm only refering to a standard or every
day street driven settings.
I agree with some being adjusted by the radius rod like the 4 cylinder Torrys &
others that dont have any way of adjustment on the top arm fulcrum such as those
box type vans where access is very tight. They have a cam type bolt adjuster for camber
on the lower arm pivot & caster adjusted by the radius rod.
Attached File  adjustments.jpg   425.62K   14 downloads
But my take on the LC/J 6 cylinder & similar set ups is that the control rod positions
the lower arm lateraly & caster/camber adjustment is thru the shims. Ok if you've got
heaps of negative camber dialed in you could have a problem with the fulcrum bar sitting
flat against the shims or excessive threads at the K frame nut, then I'd be looking at bent
components, like this....
Attached File  100_1834.jpg   473.89K   21 downloads
Arm on the left came off my XU1, lower arm was replaced with a standard arm but you can see
the top was twisted rearward so they had to get the caster close by winding back on the control
rod. Just wasnt enough left at the shim stacks, but luckily I found an XU1 front end at the wreckers
to replace what was needed. The pivot bolt had to be replaced as pulling the lower arm back put extra
stress on the bush & the spacer had started to cut into the bolt.

I wont get into the dodgey or sloppy work stuff I've seen, but when I was talking of time well 1 tyre
retailer I worked at I was doing about 10 alignments per day. 8 hour day, thats about 35/40 mins each,
regardless of what type of vehicle or set up it had. So in that time you've gotta jack it up, check for
play in the steering linkage & mountings, wheel bearing play, bush condition, tyre pressures & rim
straightness. Then get it on the hoist, set the 4 heads up, calibrate them, do the adjustments & lock it
up, remove the heads, then test drive & check for steering wheel straightness & adjust if required. So
you can see your pretty under the pump & taking a short cut like adjusting the control rod instead of
going back to & farting around with the shim stacks can be tempting. & yes I'm guilty of taking a short
cut or 2 over the years.

The friends LJ I originally spoke of only had a very minor difference when cornering left compared to right,
I'm suprised he picked it as it was really hard to feel. Without access to an aligner at the time all I could do
was a visual check & the RH control rod had about an extra 1/2" on top of the 15/16ths.

J

#15 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

I found the sheet from my last alignment and it definitely has wheelbase info on it, but it doesn't say anything about the alignment equipment sorry. As I said though any 4 wheel aligner should do it as a matter of course, its very basic arithmetic from the inputs given (all the data is present from the figures required to calculate all the other settings). Perhaps it isn't always on the printout though? The sheet I'm looking at here only has the differences (same for track), not the detailed figures.

pics please. as our top of the range aligner definitely does not and i can not for the life of me remember ever seeing a function for measuring this on any of the machines ive used ????BTW if it only shows the "difference" that IS 'setback' and IS measurable.

I would add that 0- 1 degree positive camber is still a conventional tyre setting and no good for radials whether street driven or raced. Also if you come into get a wheel alignment where i work and youre car requires extra attention /shimming or other mods you will be paying by the hour , I have charged $120 for a wheel alignment before but it got done right.you can not spend one and a half hours on someones car for $44. Some mobs cut corners , we charge accordingly.

Edited by robslxhatch, 12 November 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#16 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:07 AM

Setback is only measured relative to the axle centreline so is measured a single end at a time only, but you could use it to calculate the wheelbase difference assuming that both ends were measured with no changes/movement in between. (In which case the report image below proves nothing! :huh: ) Perhaps the wheelbase is so trivial that its not considered necessary to show it?

Scanned alignment report

#17 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Also if you come into get a wheel alignment where i work and youre car requires extra attention /shimming or other mods you will be paying by the hour , I have charged $120 for a wheel alignment before but it got done right.
[/quote]

Thats how I see it to, either your not being charged enough or enough time booked for a proper shim adjustment
or were being charged too much for a more modern vehicle which only allows adjustment to toe as camber/caster
are built into the strut & knuckle assemblies.
Before I did my own alignments I'd always tell the bloke it was shim adjust & ask if more time was required
for the booking. Its never really bothered me if I took longer than allowed either, p!ssed a few bosses off
but I'm happy with only having 1 come-back in ten odd years wether it was for this type of work or mechanical
repair.

#18 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

IT is also known as a 'castor bar'. Trying to achieve the optimum castor setting via the shims often ends up with the pivot touching the edges of the shims instead of sitting flat on them) which can often cause them to come loose/pop the shims out.

15/16" is the correct setting for the LC-LJ 6cyl lower control arm Control Rod and should only need minor adjustment to rectify wheelbase discrepancies.

They are not intended to be and normally should not need to be used for adjusting Castor settings.
As has already been said and is documented, Castor and Camber are set via the shim stacks.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me could explain how you would go about adjusting the castor on a HQ-Z or LH-X.
AFAIK these cars don't have lower control arm Control Rods/Radius Rods/Castor Bars or whatever else people like to call them.
The only way you can adjust the Castor on these cars is via the upper control arm shim stacks. Correct???

#19 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

15/16" is the correct setting for the LC-LJ 6cyl lower control arm Control Rod and should only need minor adjustment to rectify wheelbase discrepancies.

They are not intended to be and normally should not need to be used for adjusting Castor settings.
As has already been said and is documented, Castor and Camber are set via the shim stacks.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me could explain how you would go about adjusting the castor on a HQ-Z or LH-X.
AFAIK these cars don't have lower control arm Control Rods/Radius Rods/Castor Bars or whatever else people like to call them.
The only way you can adjust the Castor on these cars is via the upper control arm shim stacks. Correct???
[/quote]
I am just saying that as long as they are even then there is no real harm in increasing them both evenly to obtain higher castor (I personally guarantee it) especially if this is not obtainable via the shim stack,if the castor is already positive 1-2 degrees then there should not be any need to adjust other than the shims. If you buy adjustable radius rods for your crapadore you put them in and adjust them to gain as much +tive castor as possible and a little higher on the l/h/s to compensate for road camber , I dont see any difference whatsoever between the that and doing that to your lc/lj.
hq's and lh-lx's are only adjustable by the shim stacks and had negative castor on non radial tuned suspension and its often hard to increase castor to far positive without the shim stacks becoming too uneven.
If anyone wants to run 13 inch cross ply tyres with the vehicle at standard height then maybe you should set it to the specs in the manual positive camber and all..

#20 _Chriso_

_Chriso_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

About 141.5mm from the taper to the end, chriso
Attached File  100_1837.jpg   412.05K   16 downloads

Thankyou Jono - for taking the time to measure the control rod & photograph it for myself & other members.

Thanks again.

#21 _PeteXU1_

_PeteXU1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:27 PM

I'm working on the Toranas alignment at the moment. The reason the measurement for the castor rod is 15/16 is to ensure the lower control arm bush is not subjected to lateral force and cause premature failure. Having spoken with a few nc racing guys, there are apparently offset bushes available so you can wind the castor bar all the way out so the nut it flush with the rod giving heaps of +ive castor

#22 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

This is a good read. I didn't realize it was so technical. Lol. I'm putting my k frame back together this week, so this will help me heaps. Cheers. I'll put pics up in my build thread.

#23 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hi,
I dont want to get into race type set ups, I'm only refering to a standard or every
day street driven settings.
I agree with some being adjusted by the radius rod like the 4 cylinder Torrys &
others that dont have any way of adjustment on the top arm fulcrum such as those
box type vans where access is very tight. They have a cam type bolt adjuster for camber
on the lower arm pivot & caster adjusted by the radius rod.
Attached File  adjustments.jpg   425.62K   14 downloads
But my take on the LC/J 6 cylinder & similar set ups is that the control rod positions
the lower arm lateraly & caster/camber adjustment is thru the shims. Ok if you've got
heaps of negative camber dialed in you could have a problem with the fulcrum bar sitting
flat against the shims or excessive threads at the K frame nut, then I'd be looking at bent
components, like this....
Attached File  100_1834.jpg   473.89K   21 downloads
Arm on the left came off my XU1, lower arm was replaced with a standard arm but you can see
the top was twisted rearward so they had to get the caster close by winding back on the control
rod. Just wasnt enough left at the shim stacks, but luckily I found an XU1 front end at the wreckers
to replace what was needed. The pivot bolt had to be replaced as pulling the lower arm back put extra
stress on the bush & the spacer had started to cut into the bolt.

I wont get into the dodgey or sloppy work stuff I've seen, but when I was talking of time well 1 tyre
retailer I worked at I was doing about 10 alignments per day. 8 hour day, thats about 35/40 mins each,
regardless of what type of vehicle or set up it had. So in that time you've gotta jack it up, check for
play in the steering linkage & mountings, wheel bearing play, bush condition, tyre pressures & rim
straightness. Then get it on the hoist, set the 4 heads up, calibrate them, do the adjustments & lock it
up, remove the heads, then test drive & check for steering wheel straightness & adjust if required. So
you can see your pretty under the pump & taking a short cut like adjusting the control rod instead of
going back to & farting around with the shim stacks can be tempting. & yes I'm guilty of taking a short
cut or 2 over the years.

The friends LJ I originally spoke of only had a very minor difference when cornering left compared to right,
I'm suprised he picked it as it was really hard to feel. Without access to an aligner at the time all I could do
was a visual check & the RH control rod had about an extra 1/2" on top of the 15/16ths.

J

Question? how do you tell the differance between a std uper arm and an xu1 upper arm?????

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

Question? how do you tell the differance between a std uper arm and an xu1 upper arm?????

You don't, they're identical. S & SL (6cyl models), GTR & GTR XU1 all use the same upper control arm.
Early LC had slightly different upper arms compared to later LC. However this change occurred before the GTR XU1 was released in 1970.

#25 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

I didn't think there was a differance between the uper arms knew their was a differance with the lower arms so was courious when he said a xu1 front end to get the uper arms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users