VDO electronic speedo

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi Guys, I am looking at replacing the speedo in my LX to a VDO electronic unit, if possible I want to mount it in the original SL/R cluster - original position.

This is what I am looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260691703968

Any photo's of the finished conversion would be good.

If you have other suggestions to using this speedo please tell me about them. Again photo's would be good.

I will also be looking at replacing the tacho to a matching unit.

Oops, I just realised the above speedo only goes to 120 kph nowhere near good enough. Any suggestions please...

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 17 November 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#2 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

Was MANY YEARS ago, but had a look at some VDO gauges like this.

At the time it was going to cost around $1200 to get speedo, tacho, and in small gauges- fuel level, water temp, oil pressure and amps.

The thing I liked about the speedo was the one I looked at went to 180 or 200kmh (can't remember) had 3 or 4 functions that could be displayed on the digital bit, and was set by driving a marked out kilometre and the gauge would calibrate itself re: speedo pickup pulses per Km.

There was also a tacho with up to 4 yellow and 1 red LED's as redline/shift warning lights.

All the gauges could be ordered to work with Holden inputs like fuel gauge sender etc.

Was way too much for me at the time and they're probably alot cheaper now but have always intended on something like this 'one-day'.

VDO can be repaired too by a few places around my way. No idea about AutoMeter, but that was a consideration for me.

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

Thanks mate ^^^^ yeah I know it's going to cost me but on the plus side I am open to suggestions for other makes ;)

I am trying to keep the SL/R cluster looking as close as I can to what was original but having said that I wont rule out changing the dash setup entirely ;)

Cheers
Herne

#4 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm thinking of changing to 2 big gauges in the middle- speedo and tacho, then 4 smaller gauges either in a line 3 left, 1 right, or 2 each side on top of each other- similar to XU-1 layout?

Got some big dents and a vehicle inspection before I look at that though.

#5 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

Cost-wise it worked out about $200 more for VDO than Autometer (at that time) I'm pretty sure they'd be alot cheaper nowdays.

AutoMeter 'White on Black' gauges looked more like the original style of numbers/lettering than VDO...

Shame Kmart don't do gauges anymore! :tease: Made in Japan- can't be too bad?

Attached File  DSC00105.JPG   203.33K   5 downloads

#6 _Kush_

_Kush_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

Herne, have a look at the Black Dice thread. :)
Oops! Sorry, that's the wrong type of dash. I'm such a dumbass!

Edited by Kush, 17 November 2010 - 06:22 PM.

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

Herne, have a look at the Black Dice thread. :)
Oops! Sorry, that's the wrong type of dash. I'm such a dumbass!

Don't be too hard on yourself Kush lol It's an easy mistake to make.
I did actually browse a few of the old threads here but couldn't find anything that suited me but I didn't browse them all. I used Google to search gmh-torana as the search engine here is like an ashtray on a motorbike - bloody useless ;)
Hopefully a member here will post the exact thing I am looking for with all the right buying and fitting info, this would be nice.

Cheers
Herne

#8 turbo76lx

turbo76lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Car:LX

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hi Herne i've had my speedo converted to electronic using a VDO speedo. Try this link it might explain a few things.

http://www.gmh-toran...=1

Posted Image

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

Dirtbag did this to the UC hatch he fixed:
http://www.gmh-toran...ndpost&p=494560

#10 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

I have the VDO 300kph electronic speedo in L8 but don't have any specific pics of it.

#11 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

In my opinion retaining the factory face is this better option as it solves the lighting, hi-beam and indicator problems however the odometer does not fill the opening. Another downside is that you a cutting up an expensive SLR/SS instrument cluster.

I had the conversion below done by Castle Auto Electrics. The gauges match reasonably well in the daylight however at night the lighting is totally different. The VDO instruments are back lit with illuminated needles whereas the factory gauges just have side lighting.

Posted Image

I was not happy with the CAE conversion so inspired by this thread I have been working on fitting the VDO Tacho, speedo, fuel, temp, oils and volt meter into a standard Torana instrument cluster. I have spent several hundred hours designing new instrument faces and mounting the instruments in an SL cluster. It should be finished in the next week or two.

The simplest option is to drive the factory speedo using a Cable X conversion box.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 17 November 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#12 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

I have the 300km/h VDO one and it is great - I like knowing what I am doing in 4th and 5th gears.

The only peculiar thing is the 100km/h is only a minor marking as the major ones are every 30km/h up to the 300.

I put the left and right indicator light thinggies between the gauges (drilled through the woodgrain facia) and the high beam is in the spare light in the SL dash below the fuel gauge.

When I checked a few years back, VDO gauges were the only ones even close to fitting in the very shallow spot in the original dash - all others were way too deep and only fit if you do one of those gay dashes that are replaced with a flat sheet of alloy with gauges mounted on the front without being recessed in.

#13 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hi Guys,

turbo76lx thats what I was thinking of - :spoton:

76lxhatch Its great you pointed out dirtbags thread :) I should have thought of that one myself.

Dirtbag, thanks for writing a complete 'How To' it really makes life easy.

ls2lxhatch, I have yet to read your input on this but by the sounds of it I will glean much from you so ty in advance mate. ;)

Howard and Toranamat69, I think the 300 kph job would be overkill on my beast, even I cant DREAM up those speeds for it lol but I appreciate the input just the same.

The VDO's don't come cheap and to be honest I now have to sit and think whether I should spend these sort of dollars on the Tangerine Dream, there are at least 2 limiting factors, one being the car is at the top end value wise now, sinking another 1k ish (remember I want the tacho too) probably wont get me any greater return. Which brings me to the second factor, I will probably have to sell the car within the next 12 months as its quite likely I wont be driving much at all if ever if this shoulder doesnt get much better.

I hate to offer the car with a few things not working but that has to be a consideration, if I do sell the car as is I will drop around 3k off the asking price which will enable any new owner to get it finished as he/she would like. With a small amount of work the car will pass engineering again, eg I need some sort of decent demister and a charcoal box fitted. Not hard nor expensive jobs.

The car sits right now with the engine out as we are replacing the rear main again... This time we are confident we have a fix :) I was hoping to redo the engine bay completely but that is a job that will most likely get passed on to the new owner when and if the time comes.

I now need to think over costings before I commit to gauges etc.

Whiteknight if you read this can you please get me your price on the pair of gauges as seen in dirtbags thread.

Cheers
Al.

Edited by Herne, 17 November 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

Which brings me to the second factor, I will probably have to sell the car within the next 12 months as its quite likely I wont be driving much at all if ever if this shoulder doesnt get much better.

I thought the same about my injuries. It's now been 5 years since the accident. Things just got worse for the first two years, then started to slowly improve. I went from being able to perform 170 KG deadlifts to being virtually unable to pick up my car keys with my left hand. I now have improved to the state where I now have about 20% of the strength in my left shoulder and is slowly but constantly improving. All other injuries are now perfect. Don't give up yet, despite the fact that I gave up about my injuries.

#15 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Which brings me to the second factor, I will probably have to sell the car within the next 12 months as its quite likely I wont be driving much at all if ever if this shoulder doesnt get much better.

I thought the same about my injuries. It's now been 5 years since the accident. Things just got worse for the first two years, then started to slowly improve. I went from being able to perform 170 KG deadlifts to being virtually unable to pick up my car keys with my left hand. I now have improved to the state where I now have about 20% of the strength in my left shoulder and is slowly but constantly improving. All other injuries are now perfect. Don't give up yet, despite the fact that I gave up about my injuries.

Thanks John, good words mate, I guess right now I am at a pretty near all time low so whatever happens is up in the air. I hear ya mate, cant even wash the bloody car properly with one hand let alone do work on it, I am thinking if I dont sell her she will depreciate before my eyes.

Cheers
Al.

#16 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:11 AM

I've had my Speedo converted to electronic retaining the original face. Shepparton Speedos did mind. Not cheap but easy to calibrate and accurate. Herne you should have had a look at gauges at the club meeting the other night.

Or have a look at speed hut speedo/gauges in the states. They do GPS speedos in kms, speedos with indicators and high beam and quad gauges. This might be an option. When I looked at them there was no 4" quad.

http://www.speedhut....speedometer.htm

Cheers

Mark

#17 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for that Growla, I think I will look into these 2 items as they are more affordable and 4" (I have yet to measure but I think 4" can be made to fit). I need to have Danny take a look at the site and help me order what else I will need to go with these gauges to make them work.

Ahh mate you saw how I was at the meeting, still not quite with it yet, I have moments though lol A serious lack of sleep is holding me up I think, even Gary had to wake me up at one stage lol.

http://www.speedhut...._number-778.htm

http://www.speedhut...._number-609.htm

Pity the speedo is mph but i can probably live with that. I didnt see a kph option...

Cheers
Al.

Edited by Herne, 18 November 2010 - 08:22 AM.

#18 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

There is a km/h speedo option. A mph speedo is not legal in a LX.

#19 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

There is a km/h speedo option. A mph speedo is not legal in a LX.

Thanks mate.

Good to know a kph option is available, now I need to find it ;) Was not overly worried about legalities but yeah best to be on the right side of the law if possible. If only they would pass my wide wheels in the ACT lol

Cheers
Herne

#20 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

Metric Gauge Series

They also have a 4" Quad.
Quad Gauge - Revolution 4inch Quad - Oil psi, Water temp, Fuel Level, Volts

It could be back to the drawing board for me.

#21 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:52 PM

Thanks mate ^^^^^^^

This one looks like it might be the go for me:

http://www.speedhut...._number-893.htm

A little dearer but probably worth it for less hassles with extra indicator lights etc.

Now to make the big decision, do I spend even more $$$ and run with these or leave things not working at all for the possible new owner (when one turns up).
Spending more right now will not get me extra dollars in today's climate...But would make me feel better that its one more job completed...

I looked at the quad setup but decided against it.

Cheers
Herne

#22 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

What is wrong with your existing instruments?

#23 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Tacho just failed a short while ago, unsure why we have checked and double checked all the wiring and it seems to be a fault inside the unit itself.

The speedo has been a problem ever since I changed the diff to a 355, we have changed the small coloured drive gears according the the online formula table as posted on this forum and still no joy, part of the problem lies with the larger white cog inside the the trimatic box, it is now obviously wrong and no longer matches... We could muck around and try and change it but the speedo is jerky and the end of the cable that goes onto the speedo has been previously butchered by someone and has a tendency to drop off now and then. I figured it was easier to fit a complete new electronic unit and also change the tacho to match.

I am not sure if this is the most economical way to go buying new ones but it certainly would solve both problems. Hope the above makes sense, I am not big on technical jargon :)

I am open to suggestions, what do you think?

Cheers
Herne

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Based on figures I got here in Melbourne about similar gauges, it will probably cost about $100 each to fix you speedo and tacho.

#25 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Chopper,

as far as I know only one place in Canberra fixes instruments - Premier Instruments in Dickson and from what I am told they are considerably dearer than what you get in Melbourne.

I cant just send them away due to the fact the speedo gears in the actual gearbox need to be played with plus I may need a 'new' speedo cable itself and I bet they are no longer available.

It would be nice to hand over my car for a few hours and get it back all working and for a poultry $200 but I cant see that happening. ;) If I thought I could do that I would certainly do it.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 18 November 2010 - 08:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users