Can I apply for Historic Car Registration?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _WILDWOGZ_

_WILDWOGZ_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

hi all,
My '75 LH SL is near the end of its full registration period, and since I have a new daily driver the Torana only gets used every so often on the weekend. I think it will be a bit much paying for 12 months rego on the Torana and 12 months rego on my daily (both 6cyl). Looking up the different registration available in SA I found 'seasonal' and 'historic'. Historic seems the way to go, and I always wanted to join a Torana club here in SA for cruises, but I am just wondering how strict the rules are on inspection of the car by the car club? My car has a stereo and 2 speakers in the parcel shelf that are clearly visible and unoriginal, the colour used to be cream, but has been changed resprayed to a much nicer white, and the gearbox used to be 3 speed column which has been changed to M20 4 Speed. Everything else is stock (well replaced shocks and the like) My car is posted in the the 'garage' section if anyone could take a look and give their opinion on whether or not I can pass this historic rego inspection. I really hope I can get this type of registration as $816 is too much on top of my daily for something I only drive weekends.

cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

In victoria you can join a "vintage" car club so long as the vehicle is over 25 years old (classic) you should'nt have any trouble coz ya car is stock well close to it,if they wont let you play in their sand pit there should be a "muscle car club that will cover you
Phillip

#3 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hi wildwogz for a car in s.a to be passed on historic registration you must be a member of a car club that has historic registration laws!! it must be the way it came from factory with a few exceptions stereo cd player is fine,period mags are now ok but different paint colour and different gearbox is a no go!! it must match the compliance plates in every way from paint colour,engine size,to gearbox, even the trim colour must match so our torana club HTC would not pass it hard it may seem but we are only enforcing the laws that are given to us!! now people say join a different car club ect,ect true some other club may pass it but you will be driving around in a car thats not legal and the club that passes it can cop a big fine and loose there historic licence rights!! also your insurance will be void if they find your car is on historic but its been modified and you make a claim!! now there is a movement between s.a car clubs to get modified historic registration which means modified cars will have the same rights of historic registration as standard cars how far away this new modified scheme is nobody knows for sure!! hope this helps you understand the historic laws here in s.a

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

Jeeze, that sucks.

In QLD you can do whatever you want, if the cars over 30 years old its all good.

Cheers.

#5 kingsly

kingsly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

bullitljv8 what about seasonal? What do the conditions of the seasonal mean?

regards

#6 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:35 PM

bomber you may be able to do whatever you want to your car but you can only drive them on club sanctioned runs is that right??? in s.a on historic we can drive 90 times a year where ever and when ever we want just fill your log book out and away you go we can drive anywhere in australia no other state has that we have the best historic registration in australia imho!!

kingsly seasonal registration only means you can rego it for three months or more leave it unregistered for 3 months or more and next time you rego it you wont be charged a late fee thats all but if you rego it within the 3 month period you will be charged a late fee!!

Edited by bullitljv8, 22 November 2010 - 03:37 PM.

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

Needing to have the original colour is a bit harsh. But they need to draw the line somewhere.

#8 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

Needing to have the original colour is a bit harsh. But they need to draw the line somewhere.

exactly chopper they need to draw the line somewhere if you where to pass a car that wasnt the right colour then you would open up a whole can of worms as the next person will want different engine passed the next will want a b&m shifter passed and so on and so on which goes against the whole priciple it was introduced for!!

now dont get me wrong i would love to be able to pass modified cars as my LJ GTR 5 LITRE gets regoed 6 months of the year and i get to drive it roughly 7 to 8 times in that period and at $450 for 6 months rego and only drive it 7 or 8 times that sucks but thats tough luck!! and if the modified law that there trying to get passed here in s.a jepordises the current historic in any way then i hope they just leave it alone!!

Edited by bullitljv8, 22 November 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#9 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

Victoria allows "period era modifications". This has allowed some pretty wild things to appear on CH plates.
Even better, if you are polite and dont behave like a tool you can get a wildly modified torana accepted to the street rod program.
Lots of grey zone in the usage rules and the reality is as long as you arent being stupid you are left alone by the fuzz.
R

#10 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

rexy how do the laws in vic work in relation to how many times you can drive it each year and does it have to be a club run??

Edited by bullitljv8, 22 November 2010 - 04:41 PM.

#11 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

You are allowed use for organised activities and (the big grey zone) preparation of the vehicle/servicing/similar. Use is essentially unlimited. As above, if you act sensibly you dont get hassled regardless of where and when you are driving. Behave like a tool and you are gone.
The street rod program in particular is very discretionary and if they think you look like an idiot or are a "bit young" in your attitude you dont get in. Just as it should be in my opinion.
Vic is looking (STILL!) at going to the SA style 45 or 90 day unrestricted use logbook as they recognise the difficulty for all of the grey zone described above.

How does a big tunnel ram on your hatch sound - there is at least one on CH plates in vic!

#12 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:18 PM

thanks for the reply rexy you would love the s.a style rego in vic i think it should be australia wide im with you though on people acting like tools but unfortunately we dont know until its too late sometimes!! but i dont know of anybody thats had there historic cancelled!!

as i said above if your a member of a club and your car fits the criteria your on club rego its that simple!!

as for the modified historic i wont be holding my breath as its been in the pipeline for years!!

#13 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

QLD restrictions are simmilar to VIC.

Can go on club runs, can also take the car for "test drives" within 15km of the place its registered at, can take it to get serviced, cleaned, etc, and can take it to prepare for club runs.

My LH gets driven to the servo, throw a bit of fuel in, go for a cruise for 20 minutes or so then gets put back in the shed, once a month or so, but it keeps me amused.

A couple of times i have snuck it to work, to, errr, put it on the Hoist...

LJ would get driven similarly but its still in pieces so meh.

For $190 a year each it suits me fine.

Cheers.

#14 _WILDWOGZ_

_WILDWOGZ_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

thanks for the help bullitljv8 and everyone else. unfortunatly because the strict rules on historic rego I dont think I will be allowed to keep the car (parents rules) and I just cant afford the 3/6/12 month rego at the moment :cry: The original plan was to keep the car for a couple years, then when I get 1st year uni to drop a V8 in and the such; looks like the For Sale signs might go up 2 years earlier than I hoped

#15 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:38 PM

The historic scheme in SA is administered by the federation which is appointed by the state goverment to administer the scheme.It is the envey of every other state in australia as the only restrictions for use are the limitation to 90 days use per year.THe colour is not a problem as its not performance enhancing and is a solid base colour not psycodelic with flames or artwork.The wheels look simaler to holdens jelly bean optional 13x6 if they are not.If holden 4 speed with factory boot or consol is fitted and no engine mods i would pass it for historic in HTC .PM me and i will view the car and give a answer.[HTC historic inspector] Some clubs may allow rogue cars to be registered under this scheme but the club and you and all people on the scheme are jepardised.Its true the gov is looking at a modified club rego scheme but we have hot rodders wanting it there way ,street machiners wanting it there way and period modified club cars wanting it too.We are dealing with gov bureacrats who would,nt neccesarily know the difference.These cars may only be used a few days a year but may sit for years between regos.One of my cars has been historicly regoed for 3 years and only used 3 times .Lets hope sanity prevails soon as there are a lot of car community out there who vote.

#16 _WILDWOGZ_

_WILDWOGZ_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

The historic scheme in SA is administered by the federation which is appointed by the state goverment to administer the scheme.It is the envey of every other state in australia as the only restrictions for use are the limitation to 90 days use per year.THe colour is not a problem as its not performance enhancing and is a solid base colour not psycodelic with flames or artwork.The wheels look simaler to holdens jelly bean optional 13x6 if they are not.If holden 4 speed with factory boot or consol is fitted and no engine mods i would pass it for historic in HTC .PM me and i will view the car and give a answer.[HTC historic inspector] Some clubs may allow rogue cars to be registered under this scheme but the club and you and all people on the scheme are jepardised.Its true the gov is looking at a modified club rego scheme but we have hot rodders wanting it there way ,street machiners wanting it there way and period modified club cars wanting it too.We are dealing with gov bureacrats who would,nt neccesarily know the difference.These cars may only be used a few days a year but may sit for years between regos.One of my cars has been historicly regoed for 3 years and only used 3 times .Lets hope sanity prevails soon as there are a lot of car community out there who vote.

hey mate good to hear from an inspector. Yea the car is really stock(nothing performance at all), I believe the rims are period correct (off another torana) and the factory console is fitted. I will definetly PM you sometime soon about looking at it. I hope to get this soon as registration runs out early December.

Cheers mate

#17 _APL_

_APL_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

hey mate good to hear from an inspector. Yea the car is really stock(nothing performance at all), I believe the rims are period correct (off another torana) and the factory console is fitted. I will definetly PM you sometime soon about looking at it. I hope to get this soon as registration runs out early December.

Cheers mate

Wildwogz

Scheme through HTC is only available to active members ...
HTC take the rules and conditions seriously, with the scheme viewed as a privilege, as suggested by bullitljv8.

Regards

APL

Edited by APL, 23 November 2010 - 05:40 PM.

#18 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:09 PM

Good luck mate would hate to see you have to sell it.

#19 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

original colour??? how is that possible when original paint had lead in it and the colour is visibly different to whats available now?
for instance bermuda green old style is different to new.

#20 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

original colour??? how is that possible when original paint had lead in it and the colour is visibly different to whats available now?

here in s.a we tip the lead in m8 to keep it original paint ROTFLMAO

we mean the original plate coulour of the car not what the paint is made from jesus as if that were a requirement there would be 5 cars on historic very few have there original lead paint

Edited by bullitljv8, 25 November 2010 - 08:34 AM.

#21 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

If your colour blind your F---c--d

#22 _WILDWOGZ_

_WILDWOGZ_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

I know its a old thread, but I thought I should update. I ended up getting registration approved through the Holden Torana Club here in SA. The only 2 things in the car I was recommended to change was the chrome shifter and the chrome air cleaner. The process was amazing smooth (even ended up getting the rego before Christmas), and I'm looking forward to a HTC cruise :D

#23 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

I know its a old thread, but I thought I should update. I ended up getting registration approved through the Holden Torana Club here in SA. The only 2 things in the car I was recommended to change was the chrome shifter and the chrome air cleaner. The process was amazing smooth (even ended up getting the rego before Christmas), and I'm looking forward to a HTC cruise :D

hey wildwogz who was it that came and did your historic mate???

#24 _WILDWOGZ_

_WILDWOGZ_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

hey wildwogz who was it that came and did your historic mate???

Hey mate, sorry for not reading the post for so long, I had Dave Gammon do the inspection for the registration. Like I said I only had 2 little things he said were a bit of an issue (chrome filter and chrome shifter; both of which I changed as soon as I got the registration) and I found a nice full length console from a rolled LX for only $5! So now it is literally bone stock besids the jellybean mags, stereo and paint and much easier on the ol wallet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users