I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

Standard on the top and bottom? (like, before the IRS went in)

#27 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

i agree with you peterUC, bit of bracing of the mounts is the easy part, steal and a mig will fix it.
I have spoken to a few different people about coilovers, i got the same answer from them all, we can do it but it will cost you. i didnt get a price under $1000 each corner for a similar setup. so if i can buy a full set for $2500 my ears are going to prick up.
coilovers for drag racing are plentiful, for circuit there minimal.

#28 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

^^Yes Heath, stock top and bottom.

#29 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

a large top plate was made to distribute the load over the available area, not just the std cupped washer area.

i wasnt the first to do this. mums taxi did it many moons ago. probably a few out there on the std mounting area too.

ben in SA has my old koni coilovers now. probably had them 12 months

#30 The German

The German

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Name:Uwe
  • Car:LH V8 1974
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

One from the rear,

%3Ca%20href=Posted Image">

From the front......

%3Ca%20href=Posted Image">

There are some changes still to do. Ill keep you updated.

Oh, by the way ....the kit has 9 KG less weight to the King springs and pedders shocks front and rear.

Uwe

Edited by The German, 06 December 2010 - 12:35 AM.

#31 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

i wonder if the uc/a9x had more material in its rear towers than earlier models?

#32 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

awesome. im gripping the end of the seat, waiting to hear how they work out.

#33 355LX

355LX

Long Term Project

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

awesome. im gripping the end of the seat, waiting to hear how they work out.

+1 for gripping the end of something........can't wait to hear/see more. Great effort, well done.

It's wonderful to see how someone can approach something so differently to what's been done over the last 35 years. I'm sure this isn't the first coilover setup on a Torana, but I think this would have to be the most accessable and viable attempt I have seen or heard of.

I have to agree with the above as well, the bracing to accomodate the extra force being applied to area's not originally designed to do so will not be a huge issue, and no great feat of engineering accomplish.

Dave

#34 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

Those lower rears worry me the most - that looks like a really bad idea - the other mounts are a lot stronger and probably no big issue.

I asked my engineer about this a few years ago in Qld and it is a real issue trying to certify suspension when you change the point the load is actually suspended on the car - there is no compliance code to cover it, it has to be done by individual application to RTA.

Maybe when (if?) we get the national guidelines things may get easier. I doubt most guys who have coil overs in Qld actually have them certified after what I was told and this guy who certifies my car knows his stuff - he is the cheif certification guy in this state.

Edited by Toranamat69, 11 December 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#35 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Posted Image

Marks Workshop

#36 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:03 AM

Could we see what you've done with the top end of it? And is that mount on the axle tube just fabricated from scratch or stolen off another diff? Cheers

#37 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

The car above is not my car, there is a link below the photo to the workshop in WA that did the work.

It looks like a good setup as it solves many exhaust, tyre and brake caliper clearance issues. However I think a typical double shear bracket would be better on the diff.

#38 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Oh, I see. I just saw primer, 9" and good fab work so I assumed it was yours. Cheers for the link, that is a cool project. Looks like a few of their cars have fabricated controls arms etc for the front end too

#39 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Andy, that car at Mark's workshop has some great work done to it - not all to my taste but great work none the less.

First proper install of a Cortina rack I have seen (location wise).

I thought it may also be headed for the best after market dash too but not sure, I think I'll reserve judgement at this stage.

I don't like the late model handles and mirrors though.

#40 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:33 AM

There definitely are some great ideas. The modifications made to the k-frame to fit 4 into 1 headers without the usual ground clearance problems is interesting.

Posted Image

I first became aware of this project in March 2010. as far as I can tell none of the photos have been updated since then. I do not know the owner of the car or the workshop. I did speak to Mark about the suspension setup and was told that most of the components were supplied by McDonald Bros.

I suspect that McDonald Bros supplied everything in the photo below. You can just make out the McDonald Bros sticker on the lower control arms for the diff. McDonald Bros supply the front QA1 Pro-Coil coilovers which are a bolt in coilover for GM cars.

Posted Image

Like anything out of the USA you can buy the QA1 coilovers considerably cheaper from Summit or JEGS. I will probably run the QA1 pro coil with double adjustable shocks on the front of my car as I like the idea of being able to easily adjust the ride height. The QA1 Pro Coil will bolt into the standard Torana front suspension but the springs are too tall. McDonald Bros suggest you cut a few coils off the springs supplied however I would prefer not to fit a pigtail spring in a tower designed for a flat top spring. I spoke to a local suspension company and was told they could make springs to suit the Torana front suspension for around $220 a pair. The QA1 Pro Coil shocks can be bought without springs, they are also cheaper to ship without the springs.

I am still undecided about the rears, I probably will just run standard style springs and either Koni or QA1 double adjustable shocks in the standard location. I doubt my rear tyres would clear the coilovers mounted in the standard shock position. I am not sure for my application that it is worth the effort mounting the coilover shocks in the spring position.

#41 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

its pretty cool!

you reckon they are local front arms, or off something american?

whats the go with the rack? that looks like a torana one? except for a thin oil line running across the top.

there does appear to be quite a lot of welding around the mounting points though?

sorry for the thread steel.

#42 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

The rack is a TF Cortina power steering rack. It is a common power steering conversion that requires a large scallop cut out of the k-frame. I do not know why there is lots of welding around the mount points as my TF rack is bolted on.

You will find pictures here.

All the tubular arms are made by McDonald Bros to suit a LX Torana.

Front
Upper $750
Lower $850

Rear
Upper adjustable $315
Lower adjustable $375
Lower Fixed $275

I think the QA1 Pro Coil front coilovers are the signle adjustable GMP1250-1 or GMP1350-1 which suit the 67-69 Camaro and several other vehicles.

GMP1 = Single shock valving adjustment
DGMP1 = Independent Compression and Rebound Adjustment (Double Adjustable)

250 = 250lb spring for small block
350 = 350lb spring for big block

-1 = Pig tail spring
-2 = Flat top spring

I am told that the DGMP1250-1 will bolt straight into a HQ but the spring is too tall for a Torana. You would probably use the DGMP1250-2 or DGMP1350-2 (-2 means flat top spring) for the HQ. For a Torana I would buy the shocks without springs and get the springs made locally.

#43 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

I have the QA1's in mine with the 350 springs and they are perfect, no cutting needed, lots of adjustment either way and they are a dream on rough roads. Handle very well no spring noise etc. Definitely worth the bucks. I got mine from McDonalds and as LS2 said cheaper from the States.

#44 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

myss427 are you running Torana or HQ stub axles? Are your springs flat top or pigtail?

#45 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

Maybe when (if?) we get the national guidelines things may get easier.

Um,
if the restriction on raising and lowering go through, then they will ban all non-std/replacement suspension, so adjustments will be non-existent........

But all this looks good.

If you want certificates with the MacD Bros stuff you're up for another $500-1000 per piece. And last time I spoke to them, Torana bits weren't "off the shelf", so be prepared to wait for them to set up, construct then deliver.

Grant..

#46 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

The modifications made to the k-frame to fit 4 into 1 headers without the usual ground clearance problems is interesting.

Have you got some better pics to explain?

And Grant, when I ordered my Torana parts that weren't "off the shelf", they were ready to pick up 4 days after ordering.

#47 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

I only have the photos from the website.

One leg leg replaced in this photo.
Posted Image

Passenger side replaced in this photo.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Typical 4-1 setup. The pipes going under the k-frame reduce ground clearance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Mark certainly does good work & is also a top bloke. He used to work for my old man years ago, we always knew he was wasted fixing old Chamberlain tractors! Only trouble is your wallet needs to be very healthy to shop there.
I like the look of the coilovers for the front, might have to ask Santa for some.

#49 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi LS2, they have flat base with pigtail top, minor, but it seems to locate very well and not move around. When I looked into the top of the suspension tower it seems to have a location area where the pigtail located well. Also I recently made 2 sets of 1 and /3/4 inch four into one extractors, without crossmember mods or running under the sub fame. It was a bitch for space but its doable. Had great ground clearance, you could only see about 10mm hanging down from the chassis rail. But if I did it again I would take out a bit of metal like those pictures to give extra room around the steering, had to trim coloum back a bit.

#50 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Chop: They made lots a while ago. Then stopped. If you got some recently (say last 3-6mths) they may have started again.
Did you get an engineers certificate with your ones?

They've got alot of "cut up your car and bolt this in" stuff with less of the direct replacement gear. Top place to shop tho, if you want it, they've got it or can make it.

Grant..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users