uc disc brake rear end

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _benster208_

_benster208_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

can anyone tell me if i can you use drum brake axles in a uc torana with rear disc brakes. i have bent the right hand one and i can get hold of normal drum brake ones but the disc brake axles are rare. I know the stud lenghts are different but not sure about the axle lengths.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

The distance between the axle face where the disc sits to the end of the splines is different between disc and drum brake axles by the thickness of the disc.

#3 _benster208_

_benster208_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

The distance between the axle face where the disc sits to the end of the splines is different between disc and drum brake axles by the thickness of the disc.

yeah but the thickness of the disc where it sits onto the axle is only a few mills different than a drum brake. isnt that why the disc axles have a spacer behind the bearing?

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

I shall take photos of disc and drum brake axles side by side tomorrow and post them here. You will then see the difference.

#5 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Location:Adelaide... city of... anyone know something good about it?
  • Car:UC hatch

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Does this help?

Posted Image

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

According to your figures, there is 3/4" between the ends of the axles when correctly installed in a diff. So for those of you who want to force a pair of drum brake axles 1" closer together in a disc brake diff...

#7 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

The diff is the same, it's the hub offset that's different. That's why a disc brake swap won't work with the drum axles - the discs end up too far out for the caliper, by one disc thickness as you pointed out.

Edited by Steve TPF, 16 January 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

Never the less, people do try it.

#9 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:22 AM

I'd be interested to see if anyone has actually succeeded. Even if you cut down the axle and relocated the bearing, the axle retainer plate would sit closer to the hub. The disc axle retainers have a larger hole to allow this. The drum axle retainers won't work. Plus I don't believe there's enough spline length on the axles to allow them to be pushed in far enough.

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Plenty of members have posted that it is possible and "you just need to do this..." etc.

Let's face it. GMH was such a tight arse back then if they could get away with using the same axle for disc and drum brake diffs, they would.

#11 _benster208_

_benster208_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

thanks for the diagram steve. Yes there is definitely a lot of difference between the two. Can I ask where you found this diagram or have you drawn it up yourself. it would be good to get hold of such straight forward information.

#12 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

The diagram was helpfully drawn up by UC HATCH, I provided a few measurements from the disc axles I bought. This was done after my discovery that the disc brakes can't be fitted with the drum axles. I hoped to save other people the same headache. IN THEORY you could get a drum axle machined to relocate the seal and bearing/collar, but you would also have to extend the splines. I shudder to think what that would cost.

Your only real option is to find a disc axle, and you may have to buy a whole rear axle assembly (diff+housing etc) to get one. So it's wreckers or Ebay.

Let's face it. GMH was such a tight arse back then if they could get away with using the same axle for disc and drum brake diffs, they would.

Couldn't agree more. There weren't that many disc rear UC's made, Holden would never have gone to the trouble of making different axles if a spacer plate would do the job.

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

You wouldn't be able to spline the axles much further, as they were only hardened as far as needed. Once again, GMH being a tight arse.

#14 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

So if anyone sees a pair of disc axles for sale, let us all know. Sounds like they are getting hard to find.

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

Which is why I recently paid to get a pair sent 1000 KM to my place.

#16 _benster208_

_benster208_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

just to let you know i ended up getting the axle straightened. Driveline services did the deed, when i took it into them they said that normally they don't try an axle that bent but when i explained how rare the part was they said they would give it a go. Car is now back together and hopefully will stay that way.

#17 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Nice of them to give it a go. Good luck with it.

#18 _wally308_

_wally308_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi guys,

just reading through this thread, i have a UC hatch with rear drum but i brought a rear Disc Set up to go in.

i currently don't have enough funds to do the full conversion yet EG, Getting rotors machined, Getting Handbrake cable Made and getting the Calipers rebuilt,

so in the mean time i want to pull out my 3.90 center in my rear drum as it is costing me fortune be hind my worked 308.

&

Replace it with the 3.08 Ratio center out of the Disc brake diff .

is this just a straight swap?

what else is involved?

any info would be great

#19 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Provided you have all the components, and the disc axles, yes, it bolts up. Not sure about HB cables as I haven't got that far.

You can get a minor rebuild kit (seals not pistons) pretty cheap - less than $20ea IIRC. The calipers are the same as on one of the early falcons - XB? Try asking for that instead of UC caliper kits because no-one will have them listed.

#20 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

The calipers aren't the same....but the kits are

K867S
And DB2268 for pistons

#21 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the info. Obvoiusly the guy at Rare Spare wasn't entirely correct, but he gave me the right kit anyway.

#22 _UC HATCH_

_UC HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

Hi Steve
Been a while since I drew that pic up and looked in here.
How did you go with you brakes in the end.

I have some other pics that may help out with others I did at the time and will add them here.

The measurements are as close as I could find out, not having the axles myself and getting them from others on the forum, as best as I can.

So if any mistakes are found let me know and I will rectify them.

Use the info if you want but double check before hand.

1/ Retainer differences (Cut down drums retainer = disk retainer) as Chopper said GMH being a tight arse

2/ Torana Disc & Drum Rear Axle dimensions (same pre machining and splineing ) again GMH being a tight arse

3/ Is for machining drum axle to a disc axle but as said earlier by chopper depends on spline end for length of spline or hardness if extending splines. (may have same length if hardened before splines cut if after maybe not ) I don't know myself depends again on GMH being a tight arse
or
For a spacer to be made to move the reaction plate out 12mm (keeps everything standard on drum axle) with a open retainer no need to replace bearings and seal if you want and can cut of old retainer or full ring spacer if new bearings and seal fitted.
(spacer measurements to fit inside the reaction plate ~120-122mm OD x 56MM ID x 12mm thick)
NOT 100%ON IF THE OLD RETAINER THICKNESS NEEDED TO BE ADDED TO THE NEW 12 RETAINER SO TRIPLE CHECK

Hope this is of any help to anyone and my pics makes sense to you.

Cheers
Mark

Attached Files

#23 Steve TPF

Steve TPF

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

Owing to extreme poverty caused by a mortgage I haven't fitted mine yet. (Currently trying to fix engine problems.) But thanks for the pics and notes. This question does pop up from time to time, it will be useful for others I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users