V8 Clutch Pedal and Clevis Information

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

I need to convert a 6 cylinder clutch pedal to a V8 cable type clutch pedal (std V8 cable type). I am seeking help in identifing measurements I will need to manufacture the cable attachment bracket that it attached to the top of the clutch pedal assembly.

Posted Image

A - Measurement from the top of the pedal to the top edge of cable attachment bracket
B - Measurement from the top of the pedal to the centre of hole for clevis pin
C - Measurement from the centre of hole for clevis pin to leading edge of the top of the pedal

Also I require clevis clutch pedal cable and clevis relay lever to cable. I know that there is a differance between the two clevises used and I either require to purchase or manufacture these. To manufacture I need measurments because I believe that the correct measurement is needed to ensure the correct operations of the cable. Sorry I have no images of the clevises.

I would appriciate any help that you can give me.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

This is UC 6cyl with Aussie.
Posted Image

#3 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

This is UC 6cyl with Aussie.
Posted Image

Thanks rodomo for your help but the pedal and measurements you have provided is for the use with a pull cable system and not the push type cable system as used on the std LH/LX V8 set up. The bracket is differant between the two types of cable systems. Please correct me if I am wrong. Cheers

#4 ReplicarSLR

ReplicarSLR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Not anymore unfortunately

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

One of the forum members was selling premade brakets to convert 6cyl to standard V8 type clutch, cannot remember who it was though. Someone else may remeber who.

#5 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

You could try sending a PM to member darrenmark1. He was making V8 clutch hooks and bell housing brackets.

#6 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up with darrenmark1.

#7 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

Use rodomo's picture & measurements & add 25mm to the hook height.

The offset is the same as the V8 pedal & please please do not cut up a genuine V8 pedal for the conversion !!

Craig

#8 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

Use rodomo's picture & measurements & add 25mm to the hook height.

The offset is the same as the V8 pedal & please please do not cut up a genuine V8 pedal for the conversion !!

Craig

Hi Craig,

I am not converting a V8 or 6 cylinder clutch pedal to allow for the use of the PULL type clutch cable as used on WB and early Comodores.

I am converting from a trimatic to 4 speed and I will be using the Torana push (NOT PULL) type clutch cable system. Because I do not have a V8 clutch pedal, I will need to convert a 6 cylider clutch pedal to that of a V8. Therefore I need the measurements to make the bracket that it welded on the pedal to conform with that of a V8. Please see my initial question on this thread.

Can you help me as I think that you had some once and therefore you may still have the pattern for this bracket plus the two clevis's.

John

#9 _pedro_

_pedro_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

Hi John, I am going through this myself at present, I traced the arm off a genuine LH slr5000 to convert a 6 cylinder pedal, measurements as follows A 15mm, B 25mm, C 40mm I do not have the clevis dimensions nor access to them as this car had a hydraulic conversion and original cable and clevis long gone as was the relay assy on bellhousing,I am attempting to fabricate relay assy and clevises myself so any info or pics that people have would be great. Regards Pete.

#10 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

The clevis is the same as opel 4 cylinder in LH & LX. Was available as a repo from Milton Performance in QLD.
The V 8 pedal has a bump stop as well.

Attached Files

#11 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Hi John, I am going through this myself at present, I traced the arm off a genuine LH slr5000 to convert a 6 cylinder pedal, measurements as follows A 15mm, B 25mm, C 40mm I do not have the clevis dimensions nor access to them as this car had a hydraulic conversion and original cable and clevis long gone as was the relay assy on bellhousing,I am attempting to fabricate relay assy and clevises myself so any info or pics that people have would be great. Regards Pete.

Thanks Pete. Can I ask you for two more measurements?

1. The measurement for A again but this time from the top edge of the bracket that is parallel with the top of the pedal to the bottom edge of the bracket. Or the measurement from edge to edge of the bracket, passing through centre of the clevis pin hole. That will tell me depth of the bracket.

2. Position of the bracket when welded to pedal. Can I have a measurement from the centre of the bracket to an edge face of the pedal where the bolt goes through?

Thanks for you help.

#12 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

The clevis is the same as opel 4 cylinder in LH & LX. Was available as a repo from Milton Performance in QLD.

Thanks mate I will follow up on this. Cheers John

#13 _pedro_

_pedro_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

1. The measurement for A again but this time from the top edge of the bracket that is parallel with the top of the pedal to the bottom edge of the bracket. Or the measurement from edge to edge of the bracket, passing through centre of the clevis pin hole. That will tell me depth of the bracket.

2. Position of the bracket when welded to pedal. Can I have a measurement from the centre of the bracket to an edge face of the pedal where the bolt goes through?

Thanks for you help.

Hi John, Dimension A again but this time to bottom of bracket is 24.5mm and from the inside face of the actuating bracket to the outside face of the arm with the roller/bumpstop is 29mm,by the way thickness of bracket is 0.250 of an inch but 6mm will do.,if you pm me details I can post my template if you like. Regards Pete

#14 _pedro_

_pedro_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Toranavista those pics will help me heaps as manual is not all that clear,will also check out those opel 4 cyl clevises. Regards Pete.

#15 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for you help.

Hi John, Dimension A again but this time to bottom of bracket is 24.5mm and from the inside face of the actuating bracket to the outside face of the arm with the roller/bumpstop is 29mm,by the way thickness of bracket is 0.250 of an inch but 6mm will do.,if you pm me details I can post my template if you like. Regards Pete

Thanks Pete. I appreciate if you can email me the template. I have sent you a message with my email address. John

#16 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

Here ya go

Posted Image

Sorry been a bit busy lately, Death in the family..

Edited by darrenmark1, 15 January 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#17 _1ARC_

_1ARC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks mate. Sorry to hear about your family�s tragedy.

#18 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thread resurrection;
If retro fitting a UC cable type pedal (as I am doing) - is the LX bump stop needed?
Interested to hear from others having done this modification.
Cheers, TB

#19 _Yella-5000_

_Yella-5000_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Many thanks, fabricating now.

#20 _Yella-5000_

_Yella-5000_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Was just going to find a suitable bit of metal, but got it all done.

Thank you for posting the info.

V8clutchpedalconversion_zps51f6d3e9.jpg

Was going to try keep the six cylinder bit in case somebody accuses me of wrecking a rare six cylinder pedal in the future, but it fouls with the V8 bracket.

Edited by Yella-5000, 10 August 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#21 _66HRS_

_66HRS_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

I'm doing the same conversion
Does the new top piece get welded in the same position as the old 6 cylinder top bracket

#22 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up and old thread but it makes it easier than reinventing the post.  In the pic by Toranavicta 9/11 the "L" shaped clutch linkage to push rod appears to be around the wrong way when comparing to the pics in the Parts Manual (page 57).  Or am I looking at it incorrectly? Can someone confirm or otherwise as I'm about to measure up for a new clutch.  Cheers Ron

Sorry, that should be post 9/1/11.  Oops

#23 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Correct. The L shaped bracket should be bolted on with the short leg pointing away from the cable.
An image search of:'torana v8 clutch mechanism' will bring up a few other images and the parts manual image.
Supply of a sturdier version of these components was available via forum member Dustings.

#24 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Thanks.  Cheers Ron

#25 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

4 cyl use a full cable (pull)

6cyl use a rat trap (push)

V8 use a 1/2 cable, 1/2 rat trap (push)

Commodore use full cable (pull)

If you are doing a 'pull' type cable conversion, the Commodore clutch pedal has the 'hook' that you will need. AFAIK the 'hooks' are the same up to VS. 

The Commodore clutch cable is longer than the Torana cable. A new UC cable is around $70. 

You will also need a stopper (if not already fitted) so the pedal doesn't lift too far & dislodge the hook clevis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users