LH SL/R Rear Quarter Blackouts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

This only applies to the LH SL/R's, as the L34's don't have black sills, so the black rear stops behind the bumper bar.

I looked at Yella, and it's rear is painted something like below (More twists than the 60's):

Posted Image

More recently, when doing a different car (an LX actually), I just painted it like this, as it seemed simpler, and doesn't really change the look, as the extra twist as on Yella occurs behind the bumper bar. I just painted it like this:

Posted Image

Is anybody in the brains trust able to confirm the way the rear quarter should be painted on an original LH SL/R? Preferably of an original car. Just curious to know for later on when Yella gets a refresh. At the end of the day, I don't think you'd ever really notice unless you removed the rear bar.

#2 _fatlh5000_

_fatlh5000_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

Yella,

I took a few photos in 2007 of an original and unpainted LH SLR 5000 at Toranafest.

I also met the owner, who allowed me to take photos of the blackouts with a ruler.

Hope this helps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thanks FatLH5000, great photo's. Looks like the LX is more original than the LH!!! Somehow managed to fake it pretty right.

Interesting car, god that bit of sloppy masking wouldn't be accepted by people today around the top of the indicator!!! The must not have had the luxury of fine liner tape in those days.

That was one amazing car, and the owner and his wife nice as (had it from new!!). I have pics of that same car, but more engine bay, as that was my focus at the time.

Oh, that's no ruler, it's a scale rule. Haven't used them for a good ten years now!! Kids thought they made good swords, so the edges have bits out of them now. And Clovelly!!! I spent the last 18 months in and out of Randwick with the new Environmental Park. Small world.

Thanks heaps, problem solvered.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 20 January 2011 - 08:47 AM.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

^ You didn't happen to do the same for the side stripes around the windows and onto the nose cone did you? Worth doing both sides if you do, cause they are normally a little different side to side.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 20 January 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#5 _fatlh5000_

_fatlh5000_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Yella,

PM sent.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic