LJ XU1

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hi everyone i am looking to buy an LJ XU1 but am having trouble sifting thru all the different aspects of these cars ,What makes an XU1 genuine here is the problem as most of them are as follows.Right motor wrong head ,wrong motor right head ,some motors have been restamped with the original JP number.I am sure the rest of the car is matching numbers,but if the power plant is not original , is it an XU1.Any help would be appreciated

Chris

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

Interesting question given some of the posts of late, sounds suspicous......

anyway, which particular car are you looking at ?

#3 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Interesting question given some of the posts of late, sounds suspicous......

anyway, which particular car are you looking at ?

i am looking at 4 different ones at the moment 2 in Tasmania ,1 in West Australia and 1 in Sydney

#4 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

the one in sydney missing its original head loneoranger in color needing a paint freshen up sounds the best of them that your looking at.

but to add to the answer your looking for, if the tags all add up and match the shell the car is still an xu1, just because a motor is missing or a dodgey re stamp, it dont mean the car is not right, but you would be better to spend the extra money and have someone whom knows his stuff check the car out for you.

cheers gong

Edited by BATHURST-32D, 20 January 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#5 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

the one in sydney missing its original head loneoranger in color needing a paint freshen up sounds the best of them that your looking at.

but to add to the answer your looking for, if the tags all add up and match the shell the car is still an xu1, just because a motor is missing or a dodgey re stamp, it dont mean the car is not right, but you would be better to spend the extra money and have someone whom knows his stuff check the car out for you.

cheers gong

:iagree:

Gong is on the money about XU-1's, and speaking about money you usually get what you pay for. So if you want a true matching number car with original engine/head, gearbox, tags, etc it will cost more that a car that is missing some original equipment.

Might be wise to join a car club or pay someone to inspect the car for you before you buy or provide some more information here and people can assist you.

#6 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

If the tags line up and match the shell , it may still only be a rebodied XU1 worth half as much , as said get a proper inspection not 100% guarantee , and with proper documented history ,not someone good story !

#7 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

i have all the tag & motor
information from the cars would that help

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

:iagree:

Might be wise to join a car club or pay someone to inspect the car for you before you buy or provide some more information here and people can assist you.

That didnt work a few years ago in THAT Sydney club Mick as the looker/professional was dodgier than any seller...
R

#9 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

That didnt work a few years ago in THAT Sydney club Mick as the looker/professional was dodgier than any seller...
R

It should be made VERY clear to all that THAT person is no longer associated nor welcome in THAT club.

It sh*ts me to tears that we all get tarred with one dodgy persons brush, and I hate the insinuation that it was the CLUB and not the individual.

Its a yesterday issue so lets leave it at that.

The club will assist members with information where we can but will not verify cars in any way. I hate when I read 'verified by such and such a club' in advertisements. Very dangerous ground.

Well done Chris by asking questions and doing research BEFORE handing over any cash.

Edited by CraigA, 20 January 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#10 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

i have all the tag & motor
information from the cars would that help

PM Bazza He may be able to help you with the numbers to start with , If it's genuine ,don't get to hung up about a couple missing bits , thats life , and if you are going to drive it they won't change the pleasure you get.

#11 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

i live albury and not many clubs around to do with holdens let alone toranas any ideas

#12 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

i live albury and not many clubs around to do with holdens let alone toranas any ideas

What sort of money are you looking at spending? Do you have colour choices?

Edited by oz772, 20 January 2011 - 11:01 PM.

#13 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

no i dont have any colours in mind just looking for a good XU1 65k is what i am prepared to pay for a good one

#14 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

no i dont have any colours in mind just looking for a good XU1 65k is what i am prepared to pay for a good one

#15 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,476 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

If you have 65k to throw about
Then paying someone to take a drive to look at it to make sure its the real deal shouldn't hurt the pocket too much

#16 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

Who is available in the Sydney or Tasmania area to get the cars checked

#17 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:12 AM

Hi Chris, chances are most of the cars you would be looking at have probably been discussed on here before... chuck up the links to the one's your considering and I am sure members will steer you clear of suspect cars...

#18 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

with your budget Chris I would be seriously looking at the early 72 lone o ranger on car sales at the moment.
Its untouched and looks to be a very honest car.

If i was handing over $65K I would atleast look at it in person myself, take plenty of photos and ask as many questions as you can

#19 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

there are members all over, if you post in the genral questions and help thread there will be people that will look at the cars for you,,, other then that get them to send you more pics than they have displayed on the carsales.com web page and send them to me, i then can give you the rights and wrongs with the cars, but it still want stop the rebodies or proof that the tags belong to the cars in question...

the chato car in tassie has the restamped motor, wrong intirior,and alot of wrong parts around the engine bay,,, in my mind i dont think this car is worth $69,500

the loneoranger car in syd missing its original head and dissy, there is something crazy going on with that breather pipe and the xu1 petrol tank, but at $61,500 the value looks much better,, but in saying that about this car i do have records of 2 loneoranger cars that where rebodied 1 of witch was a adelaide car i looked at about 6 years ago

the sunburst met car in tassy is a no no for you it is a rebodied car, this car has already been sold once and then return to that owner with a refund, thanks to this great forum

i cant seem to find the WA one you are talking of, but has said if you want to send pics my way i will do my best to see you right.

cheers gong

#20 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

i think at the moment the loneoranger may be the car here is the tag info
82911JH2322288
MODEL LJ82911M
BODY 04837B
TRIM 1822 40X
PAINT 568 13135
Do not have the info for the 3rd tag.

#21 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hi Chris,

Besides the typical paint/body/interior quality and presentation checks here's the process that I would use to review cars:

• Obtain tag numbers
  • Check tag and chassis numbers against microfiche (Bazza on this forum is a legend in this area or do it yourself)
  • Check to see if engine number is listed against vin on microfiche (Bazza again)
  • Check with this forum to see if car is known (positively or negatively)
  • Google the VIN as this sometimes uncovers other forums with feedback or previous advertisements for the car
Physically check car for:
  • Tag numbers match those supplied, tag location correct, tag fixing (original or replaced rivets), and that all three exist
  • Tag and number stamping quality
  • Engine number and stamping quality
  • XU1 identifying characteristics (those in the know can advise how to do this, or as indicated there may be people available who will do it on your behalf)
  • Get a quality/experienced panelbeater or painter to check what damage has been repaired and that there hasn't been any numbers welded into place.
As a further test you could get both non destructive and destructive testing done to confirm if any number tampering has taken place.

I've seen this done on a Phase III and although the destructive testing of body number stamping damaged the paint on the shock tower it gave 100% assurance that nothing funny was going on. The Tonka shop in Sydney did this (since burnt down) but I'm not sure who else does this now. Someone on here may know.

If the car has things that aren't right then walk away or deduct a fair value for each of them - so a wrong engine might take off x thousands of dollars, a missing tag x thousands of dollars etc etc.

Unfortunately for all there have been and will be people of different skills levels who will try to misrepresent something and you need to be very careful when outlaying a significant amount of money for something that relies on its provenance for its value. There have also been times when people haven't gone to the effort to check effectively and then after purchase have issues.

Hope the above helps and that others can add to the list.

Good luck with your search, and sorry for the earlier thread interruption.

#22 _chriswhi_

_chriswhi_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I want to thank everone who has taken the time to respond to my enquiry, it is really helping me in my search.Please keep the info coming its been really helpful.

Chris

#23 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

Beat the odds and buy an unrestored car if you can find one , may mean a bit of work , but you know you have the genuine article ! One other thing don't be in a hurry , wait for the right car .

#24 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Well it's a small world in the torana community.

I bought the lone oranger XU-1 in early 2002 from Jim Hunter in Sydney, so I can say it was my/our old car.

I was looking for ages for an original SS and was pestering Jim to sell me a XU-1 (as he had 3 or 4 at the time) as I couldn't find a decent SS.

I ended up buying an SS about two months after getting the XU-1 and enjoyed both cars. The only problem was both cars needed work and I didn't want to restore two cars at once (what was I thinking) so I sold the XU-1 on 24/12/2002 so I could concentrate on the SS restoration, which I still have today.

Back then the XU-1 was a true matching number car, engine, head, gearbox, diff etc AFAIK. It did have one of the first two pac paint jobs which was starting to crack in places so the new owner would need to sand blast/soda treat the car to remove the old paint and repaint (sounds like this hasn't been done yet according to the ad on Carsales). The car was rust free but it did have a rust replacement panel on the left rear quarter panel and the drivers side sill was slightly curved due to an old accident/repair. Had a original sprintmaster spare tyre but the sprintmasters on the car weren't the correct date codes.

Here's a couple of photo's in case you were wondering. (excuse the quality old 35mm film which has been scanned)

P.S. I put the numbers plates on it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   249.87K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   245.08K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   397.52K   1 downloads

Edited by lxsstorana, 21 January 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#25 _chev1965_

_chev1965_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

sounds to me like the one in Sydney needs more than just a paint freshen up. If it needs to go back to bare metal to get the two pac of it then thats more than a freshen up. Ten years ago you could get a nice bare metal job done for less than 10 k. These days you are looking at 20 k to do it properly unless of course you know someone or can do a lot of it yourself. Is the white one on car sales any good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users