grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hi. I need a sample ot the grey blue colour in the boot of a Adelaide xu1 for a mate of mine.Can any one help

#2 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Maybe best of trying to find a Adelaide car thats original and is around your area to get a sample in the flesh and then take it to a paint shop to match up.There was no real colour code for the Adelaide cars.
cheers Dane

#3 _Nitter_

_Nitter_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Will Adelaide GTR do?

Posted Image

#4 _barodaxu1_

_barodaxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yep,
That colour is pretty close to my original (8/72 xu-1) colour. The closest colour I could find in a factory colour was an early holden blue colour. It dried a bit too blue. I would take it to a painter to get matched to get it perfect if I was to do it again.

#5 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

My painter said it was slate , but some painters will tell you anything that sounds good .

#6 _rat catcher_

_rat catcher_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

The reason that the boot and under bonnet colour differs between cars and has no particular colour name is that it was no particular colour....

GMH at the time didn't waste any leftover paints and mixed them all together to get a greyish black, When the mix started to get a little too pale, they simply added more black to it.

#7 ewe-one

ewe-one

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name:Ross
  • Car:LJ

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

I've had my 9/72 for 21 years and know that the boot was repainted black many years ago. My memory was a little vague on the old colour so great to see an original example. Was this the only factory that this boot colour was used? I know about the engine bay being a slightly greyish black, the so called factory slop, but I assumed (incorrectly it seem) that the boot was also black.

I am with Barodaxu1 on this, it looks like a left over old holden 60's body or trim colour, HK maybe, put to good use on the later Toranas.

#8 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

I think my Adelaide boot is the same as the other Adelaide boot and to pretty to be paint scraps .
Posted Image

#9 _rat catcher_

_rat catcher_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Hi bruce..... I have a very reliable soarce that used to work with a guy that was in the paint section of GMH in the day, and i have no reason to disbeleive him.

#10 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

How old is he ? LOL , It's like everything from that era it's a GREY area ,where did he work ? What happened in Brisbane , Sydney and Adelaide , could differ in policy ,circumstances and different managers , and no one really has anything to say that all Adelaide GTR's were painted the same as Brisbane XU1's , after all GTR's were targeting a different part of the market . I don't disagree that scraps , tinted black were used as he said , but to say it was for all Toranas is only an opinion that may not be right , as the two grey un-restored boot pictures show .

#11 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

My 14 / 8 / 1970 LC XU-1 has never had its boot re sprayed and the colour is GMH black

#12 _rat catcher_

_rat catcher_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

Point taken..... well said bruce. :surrenderwave:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users