LX locking strip

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hey peoples..
I am replacing the locking strips on the front and rear windscreens on my 77 LX 4 door. I got the new ones from rare spares.. on the top of the pack it says LH UC torana - RLS540C. I am having trouble even getting the new strips to start in the rubbers, so I compared the width of the old vs new.. and the new ones are alot wider. I am wondering if there is a difference between LH/UC and LX 4 door locking strips?? I have looked on the rare spares site, and various ebay sites and it appears as though all of the models are the same. I understand that they are suppose to be bloody tricky to get in.. but this is just crazy! Thanks :)

#2 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hey peoples..
I am replacing the locking strips on the front and rear windscreens on my 77 LX 4 door. I got the new ones from rare spares.. on the top of the pack it says LH UC torana - RLS540C. I am having trouble even getting the new strips to start in the rubbers, so I compared the width of the old vs new.. and the new ones are alot wider. I am wondering if there is a difference between LH/UC and LX 4 door locking strips?? I have looked on the rare spares site, and various ebay sites and it appears as though all of the models are the same. I understand that they are suppose to be bloody tricky to get in.. but this is just crazy! Thanks :)

Bang,
The profile (section)of the strip is completely wrong so they just dont fit very well. The LX-LH-UC rares ones are all the same ones. Wait till you try and fit the chrome corner pieces, they also dont fit properly. I was lucky the windscreen fitter was very familiar with the rares stuff. Hes not very complementary of them or the rubbers, but he made them work, even though they look pretty rough.
I cannot believe how different they are to the original item, very ,very poor effort from rares.

#3 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

They should be 12mm wide, I'm pretty sure. Got a lock strip tool? makes it far easier + soapy water. Do you have new windscreen rubbers?

#4 _uctorry_

_uctorry_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

just a tip
leave the car in the sun get it nice and warm
the window rubber that is
have a drink or two
rare spares are bloody hard but can be done
just time sun an pateints
and use washing up liquid as a lube

#5 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Bugga!! I was hoping for an easier answer!! Thanks heaps guys.. I will give it another crack, if not I will see if I can get the pro's to give it a try. Thanks again :)

Edited by bangbang, 15 March 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#6 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have installed numerous rares windscreen rubbers on Lx's and LC's and I have never had an issue with the lock strip - I don't have the special tool either.

I hope this is not a recent issue as I have just purchased a new hatch windscreen seal from rares.

#7 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Hey peoples..

So as you said "I compared the width of the old vs new.. and the new ones are alot wider." Just what are the measurements?

I have heard of this issue before too which is why I tracked down NOS. Be aware though, there are at least two width available and one is just way to big!
Are you using the original corner alloy pieces.

I will look at what I have tonight if I get the chance.

BTW, I have heard that washing up liquid can strip the protective coatings (Wax & polish) off your car, so clean and polish afterwards as a minimum. I have also heard of people using of all things KY jelly as it is not petroleum based.

But be warned........you could get over excited using it!!!!

#8 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the help again :)
Here are some pics.. old vs new. The original stuff is 10mm, the new stuff is 12mm. That 2mm might not sound much.. but it certainly makes things alot more difficult!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not much difference with these though..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Sorry, I have been slack. I will have a look if I can tonight.

The other thing is look at the end on profile as I believe you will find the original has a much flatter profile.

I believe the RRS is more bulbus, this can make it hard to slot into the original corner pieces.

But again, I will check my facts tonight if I can.

#10 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

I had a thread going on this subject, but i cant find it.

I bought mine from Windscreens O'Brian [after an exhaustive interweb search]. They were actually cheaper than online.

#11 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

The question is how you can get such a simple profile, so wrong?
I believe rares must have sourced this existing profile from somewhere and came to the conclusion "this will be close enough". Therefore no tooling costs,(which for this part would have been relatively cheap and easy to get right) big profit and little regard for the end user.

#12 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

Is this the right tool to use?

http://www.autotools...ct.php/1/AT1524

#13 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

OK, measured (vernier calipers)the NOS lockin strip and it is no more than 10.4mm wide and it has a flat profile of 4.2mm thick at the chrome mid section.

You can see in the photo attached by bangbang. The original has a much wider "chrome" section than the RRS and the clear tabs on the RRS have a much greater ratio of width vs chrome centre.

If you compare the cross section profile of the RRS chrome section vs the profile of the corner pieces, you can see they are clearly different.

The RRS Chrome centre profile is almost round where the OEM version is rectangular by comparison.

As suggested above, try a few windscreen places in person with your original to match, they may have NOS if your lucky.

PS there is a tool that has a loop at the end made of thick wire that has nicer edges....but it is all down to the tool on the tool. ;)

#14 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Double posted on a single click??

Edited by The Baron, 18 March 2011 - 01:21 PM.

#15 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the support and feedback guys.. I will look into to it further. I will also be taking the rare spares stuff back, and having a chat with them. Thanks :)

#16 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

I got myself some locking strip off ebay, and it was the same as it was wider then what I pulled out. I went at it with a screw driver (dont recommend it as they slip out easy) but I did get it all in there no problem.

#17 _Darylle_

_Darylle_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Yep the new stuff is a different profile but with regards to the corner pieces, a sharp knife and a little care you can strip down some of the raised section a little and the corner pieces seat better. Maybe wait for a while post insert install in case it shrinks(in length)

#18 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

There is a rare spares specific thread, maybe post this thread there for a response from them?

Also maybe consider that the old locking strip has shrunk 1 or 2mm???

For what it is worth there is an alternative, the window can be stuck in and a cover strip fitted, same as a new car or bus etc, it actually looks very good but does not look original.

#19 _BIGCAV_

_BIGCAV_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

I've just had a read of this thread and forwarded it onto lance to check out, if we are using the incorrect profile my apologies

we make a fair few different profile extrusions of locking strips not just this one so we will compare them all when we find a car

cheers

#20 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi TerrA LX

With regards to your comment about shrinkage this is probably true of used bits but I have some that is still in the original GMH bag, I hope it has not shrunk.

I have been accumulating parts for my torana's resurrection for over 20 years and even back then the locking strip was known to be different, so I never bought any in the hope of locating NOS which took 18years.

Thing is, RRS now appears to be working hard on fixing these things. Which is good for everyone.

#21 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

Here's a good youtube film showing how to.

#22 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

I've just had a read of this thread and forwarded it onto lance to check out, if we are using the incorrect profile my apologies

we make a fair few different profile extrusions of locking strips not just this one so we will compare them all when we find a car

cheers

yes if you could because they are pretty 'ken ordinary to the point where i have not even bothered to fit them following damage to the paint on my hatch.they are far too wide.and i now have 2 sets of these sitting here that i cannot do anything with .i understand you can only source these from where you can and sometimes your suppliers /manufacturers do as they please and do not take on board what you are telling them,but if it can be rectified awesome.

#23 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,811 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

Here's a good youtube film showing how to.

Thats not a bloody classic mini... Thats a late model Rover probably mid 1990's...

I remember when I did the windscreens on my Mini back in 2003 I went into the local GMH dealership and bought a box of locking strip to suit Torana.... I had plenty left over to... i only threw all that out a couple of years ago.... Bugger..

#24 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,811 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

I reckon the Mini locking strip might be the go. Im going to hit up the Mini guys I know to see if they can sus the locking strip out. Was so long ago that I fitted mine... I cant remember what it looked like or how wide it was..... I did spot this though:

http://www.minispare...id=35324&title=

#25 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,811 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users