Front Sway Bar UC

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hi guys

firstly i understand this has been discussed in previous threads but i want to clear up a few things

as above looking at getting a bigger Front swaybar for my UC Hatch as im going to be doing a bit of track work..

Whats better front mount or rear mount(standard) position? Assuming extractors arnt a problem

I understand i have two main options K-MAC & Whiteline what do you guys have/recommend if you had to choose between the two

Any advice would be great :D

Cheers

Ben

#2 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

i have the whiteline forward facing one on mine, and i think it works a treat, but i had no option cause of my extractors

#3 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

I just installed the KMAC adjustable front mount sway bar.( 22mm?) Made the front end considerably tighter and more direct.

I am very happy with it besides the crude welding on the brackets. I rang them (Ken?) about it and he didn�t seem to give a crap. Just laughed and said that the bloke welding must have had a big night on the piss.

I had to do mods to my AU twin thermo fans as it hits them. I�m not sure if everyone has this problem. I�m running a 3 core radiator too.

Ev

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

The front mount bars can get in the way of brake ducts if you want them, but there are still ways and means. Other than that I think front mount is more readily available and they work fine - sooner or later you are going to need the extractor space. I have a Whiteline (mainly due to availability) front mount and it works great.

#5 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

The whiteline front mount sway bar is the poorest design of an aftermarket sway bar i have ever seen.

10kg's of dead bracketry doing nothing but weighing down a vehilce that is already front heavy. The Kmac style of mounting is far lighter and a far better design.

The mounting of the whiteline brackets to the bumper bar mounts in shear is useless and should never have been considered.

The shape of the sway bar at the ends does not lend itself to wide wheels (sespecially large diameter ones) as it will hit at full lock as they are simply bent at 90 degrees. The Kmac is shaped better to fit wider wheels.

then there is the clearance issues to brake ducts if you are using those.

Edited by Toranamat69, 31 March 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

The mounting of the whiteline brackets to the bumper bar mounts in shear is useless and should never have been considered.

Dumb question, but why? Doesn't seem any different to mounting a wheel to me...

#7 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

Dumb question, but why? Doesn't seem any different to mounting a wheel to me...

One would think it could work okay butI have found 2 separate times that mine had loosened off and the bracket was wriggling up and down when I was under the car doing other things.

Slippery Stainless bolts and washers probably didn't help in my case but you also have to line up the bumper at the same time you are tightening these down which I also don't like.

Main issue I have is still the massive bracket mass wise and interferance with other parts when it is simply not neccessary.

I have removed my whiteline front bar and it will never be going back on. Even if I was going to use the actual sway bar I would make custom mounting. I see to recall checking at one stage before I removed it that simple stand-off brackets the same as the K-mac could have been made and used with the Whitleine one. I always planned to do that until i also noticed the difference in the shape of the bar ends to give more wheel clearance at full lock.

Matt

#8 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

UNVSM8,

What back space on those front wheels? I'll tell you if I reckon they will hit on the whiteline front bar on full lock. I don't yet have a Kmac front bar to measure the exact difference it will make but it visually looks to have more clearance.

Does the UC even have the spot for the whiteline front bar to mount? The LX ones go to the large steel brackets behind the front bumper which are not common to the UC models.

Matt

#9 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

Im not to sure of the back spacing but would have to measure them up.. I haven't had a proper look under neath but I would have assumed that it was the same as lx as for mounting.. Especially because on their website it say lh lx UC..

I do see what you mean about the brackets for the whiteline one.. Does the kmac one actually require welding or can it be bolted on? And I do have au thermos so now I'm worried about clearance in that area!

So i am a little bit more confused than before haha has any UC owner fitted either of these units?

#10 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

The KMAC bar bolts on at the front and you have to drill your bottom control arms too. It�s very easy.

Ill take some photo's of the mods i had to do to my fans.

I am going to make a custom alloy radiator shroud as I�m not happy with the butchered fans.

I rang KMAC directly andordered it over the phone.

Ev.

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

I see to recall checking at one stage before I removed it that simple stand-off brackets the same as the K-mac could have been made and used with the Whitleine one. I always planned to do that until i also noticed the difference in the shape of the bar ends to give more wheel clearance at full lock.

Interesting, which era K-mac brackets are you referring to? The later ones seem to be much nicer (stronger/smaller/lighter) brackets and sit the bar up higher but that introduces the problem you are talking about with tyre contact.
http://www.gmh-toran...post__p__181667

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

I made new brackets to move the K-MAC front mount back around 10 mm to clear the thermo fans.

The K-MAC quality control and powder coating is a joke however in my opinion it is still a better design than the Whiteline front mount. I have bought three swaybars from K-MAC and every one has had parts made incorrectly or missing.

This is an example of their fine workmanship.

Posted Image

#13 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

So in summary:

Kmac for its better design but may need a lick of paint and a few small adjustments..

clearance may be an issue with my thermo fans but i can alter that as ls2lxhatch has

Cheers for the comments guys if anyone has anything additional to add please do so

Ben

#14 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

What swaybars do you currently have?

#15 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

I was referring to this style of Kmac bar on LS2LX's website (I didn't reallise there were so many over the years)

Posted Image

This bar will fit LX or UC as it comes directly off the bottom of the chassis rail with a fairly short standoff bracket.
The corners are not a simple 90 degree bend and this is the main area where large wheels will rub on full lock.
I can dig out my whiteline one and take a photo to show where my 17's rubbed the paint. I had 235/40-17's on at that time. I will have to double check my back spacing but from memory I have 5 1/4" back spacing on 8" rim up front.

From memory, the spot where they rub is where the KMAC one is angling out slightly after the bends - It would be interresting to know the dimensions or see the 2 types layed over each other.

This pic here shows the bracket on the LX that goes between the chassis rail and the 'gold coloured' zinc bracket on the whiteline setup.

Posted Image

The UC does not use this bracket but has a different bracket that goes straight from the bumper bar to the chassis and uses the dome bolts on the battery tray area so I can't picture how this would fit with the whiteline bar. Maybe it does though, surely someone has tried - I cant find any pics to double check.

Edited by Toranamat69, 31 March 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#16 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

What swaybars do you currently have?

just standard UC items im hopeing this will be a big improvement?

#17 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

I was referring to this style of Kmac bar on LS2LX's website (I didn't reallise there were so many over the years)

This bar will fit LX or UC as it comes directly off the bottom of the chassis rail with a fairly short standoff bracket.
The corners are not a simple 90 degree bend and this is the main area where large wheels will rub on full lock.
I can dig out my whiteline one and take a photo to show where my 17's rubbed the paint. I had 235/40-17's on at that time. I will have to double check my back spacing but from memory I have 5 1/4" back spacing on 8" rim up front.

From memory, the spot where they rub is where the KMAC one is angling out slightly after the bends - It would be interresting to know the dimensions or see the 2 types layed over each other.

This pic here shows the bracket on the LX that goes between the chassis rail and the 'gold coloured' zinc bracket on the whiteline setup.

The UC does not use this bracket but has a different bracket that goes straight from the bumper bar to the chassis and uses the dome bolts on the battery tray area so I can't picture how this would fit with the whiteline bar. Maybe it does though, surely someone has tried - I cant find any pics to double check.

so with the whiteline model you cannot run a splash tray?

im running 225/35/18's at the moment so it will be interesting to see how it goes..

Edited by UNVSM8, 31 March 2011 - 10:01 PM.

#18 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

The splash trays still fit with the whiteline one.

I just checked where the paint is worn off mine from the tire rubbing and it is actually the end closer to where it joins the drop link, not near the bend like I thought so it would be good to actually compare if the KMAC is narrower at that point to be able to tell how close it will be to the tire.

#19 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

The K-MAC Front mount adjustable is 945 mm wide (from outside edge to outside edge).

The drop links are 215 mm from the centre of the bar to the bottom of the bracket. The bottom of the bracket is roughly level with the bottom of the control arm. I know that some people have had tyre clearance issues with the K-MAC front mount.

The bar mount brackets use the inside bumper bracket bolts.

The UC lower control arm steering stops have to be cut off to fit the K-MAC brackets. The LH/LX does not have the steering stops.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 31 March 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#20 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:53 AM

Well the plot thickens. I just measured my whiteline one and it is 915 overall and about 895 wide at the point 30 to 40mm from the ends where the tires rub.

Now I am not sure what I am going to replace mine with. I also have a hollow 300ZX one I was playing with - it is similar width but slightly different shape.

#21 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

It would be interesting to compare the clearance at the different heights.

It may be that the K-MAC is further from the centre of the wheel than the Whiteline which would give more clearance. The K-MAC is definitely higher above the LCA than the Whiteline.

#22 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

I had a bit of a look through the old threads on here yesterday as this topic got me interested - the best one I saw was Litre8, which I think has a custom bar on the early K-mac brackets, it has a lot more shape for clearance (not unlike an HZ style bar?):
http://www.gmh-toran...post__p__179726

#23 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

i got signature to make me a standard fit adjustable 27mm front bar. $280 delivered i think.

#24 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

The signature bar sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures?

#25 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

yes. somewhere. email me and i'll see what i can dig up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users