202 VALVE SPRING PRESSURES

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

G'day

Quick question, had my valve springs tested when i picked up my cam and lifters and they turned out to rate at 60 pound as doubles. now im guessing they are old and probably seen better days. my logic was that its not a big dollar motor and not to worry about the extra money involved in replacing springs, but ive had a few people drill me about chewing out cam lobes, lifters as well as valve bounce and float.

Now the same head shop quoted me $150 for crow springs (singles not doubles) which are rated around 120 pound and also advised me that the cam i purchased (33/73) was rated for 100 pound springs.

I'd like to hear from people who've experienced this sort of thing and who can advise me of the correct path to take.

I'm leaning towards getting it done just wanted to hear a few more opinions before committing.

Thanks in advances guys (and girls)

#2 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

At 60lb, the valves will bounce with a few revs & hammer the cam & eventually destroy it. 110-120lb is about right for a Holden 6. My advise would be to change the springs.

#3 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

yeah thats what i was looking to hear. i knew it would be right just wanted to hear from someone who actually plays with holden 6's

#4 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:25 PM

At 8500 RPM,

DragLC said,

650 lbs springs are needed. :3gears: