VS V6 Not firing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Gday all,

just wondering if anyone could offer some advice with my mates VS V6 (Ecotec)

His auto is just about dead (car has done 320K) so we brought another car for $700 with the same engine and auto in it with 220Ks on it, however the auto was rebuilt less than 30K ago.

Long story short we swapped everything, because his engine was a bit sick as well. Now both cars were running before we started however the donner engine refuses to fire. We kept the wiring harness with the motor, and kept the computer with the car. Only things we swapped were:
- Alternator (because it was dead on the doner car)
- Plugs and leads (because there were done recently on my mates car)
and the part of the engine loom between the battery terminals and the Alternator (because the harness on the donner car was all coroded.)

Now the car cranks fine but does not fire.

What we have tried is:

- Put 20Litres of fuel in just to make sure it was not fuel related.
- Pulled a plug out and jammed it against the side of the car but there appears to be no spark.
- Changed the coilpack from the orginal engine
- Tried the doner computer
- tried swapping key fobs from donner car (this stopped the engine cranking at all so we put it back)
- Stuck a paper clip in the connetor under the dash to read the codes. It appears to be throwing 46 (Code 46 - No Reference Signals while cranking) (Checking Codes) (VS Codes)

We are assuming crank angle sensor, but I wanted to get some more ideas before we fork out another $100+ for a CAS and a hour or two to swap it over.

thanks all

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 24 April 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#2 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

Anyone? :nada:

#3 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

Anyone? :nada:

Hi Steve

I've had a couple of crank angle sensors go, both times was a code 47 Crank angle reference signal, I recall.

Could still be CAS , as I don't have comprehensive list of codes, but I think code 46 is coil pack or the module that sits under coil pack,

Regards Simon

Edited by debkar, 26 April 2011 - 08:04 PM.

#4 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Same, I've done the CAS in every Commodore I've owned and it's always been the specific CAS fault code (for the ones that have thrown a code up, it won't always...).

That's not to say it couldn't be the CAS, but the coil packs and the DFI module under the coil packs are common things to go on these engines as well.

Should be able to get a CAS for well under $100 if that turns out to be the problem, most I've paid is around $50 from memory.

Edited by slr_v8, 26 April 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#5 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Same, I've done the CAS in every Commodore I've owned and it's always been the specific CAS fault code (for the ones that have thrown a code up, it won't always...).

That's not to say it couldn't be the CAS, but the coil packs and the DFI module under the coil packs are common things to go on these engines as well.

Should be able to get a CAS for well under $100 if that turns out to be the problem, most I've paid is around $50 from memory.

DFI module, that's the one, couldn't recall the actual name. More expensive than CAS for my VP back a few years ago

Edited by debkar, 26 April 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#6 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Check all your earths and connectors etc they have three earths from memory try the CAS from the old engine first as you said it was running before removal

Edited by SLR Goat, 26 April 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#7 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Check all your earths and connectors etc they have three earths from memory try the CAS from the old engine first as you said it was running before removal

Agree, with above, triple check for loose/ dirty connections, CAS, ECU check terminal # 12

Edited by debkar, 26 April 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#8 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thanks guys, I put a link to the codes and the procedure (from Just Commodores forum) in the orginal post just to show you I was doing it right.

Both cars were running before we started. We decided to swap the whole lot, not just the gearbox when we saw how much better the other engine ran.

I wasn't sure it was the CAS because there is a specific error code for the CAS and it wasn't bringing it up.

Maybe the wiring harness is different or something has come unplugged on the engine. We will give that a go.

thanks for all the replies guys.

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 26 April 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#9 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

If it all ran before the swap, as above definitely double check all the connections.

Good luck with it, they're not a bad motor IMO but can be a royal PITA when they wanna be.

#10 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

So umm.... well... the CAS was unplugged. :Headbang2:

In our defence, none of us recall unplugging it when we lifted the engine out, and its not unplugged on the engine from my mates car. Either way when it was plugged back in car fired up no worries.

thanks all B)

Steve

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

Drug smokin' hippies.

#12 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

So umm.... well... the CAS was unplugged. :Headbang2:

In our defence, none of us recall unplugging it when we lifted the engine out, and its not unplugged on the engine from my mates car. Either way when it was plugged back in car fired up no worries.

thanks all B)

Steve

Good to hear it is sorted

#13 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

Haha easy fix anyway mate. And free.

#14 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thanks all.. And then when we put enough Tranny fluid in it ran like a dream. :buttrock:

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users