Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

G'day all,

I have been researching some wheels from www.Jegs.com in the States, and found a set of front 17x8s I wanted to try. Cost: $300. Shipping: $397... I rang Jegs, and they said the shipping cost is the best they can do. Does anyone have any ideas on this? As much as I hate sending my dollar overseas, the savings on the wheels themelves are too hard to ignore, however with the shipping costs as they are, it looks like I will be shopping in Oz.

Any ideas anyone?

#2 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Only a thought but maybe LS1 Hatch in Calif. can help you out as he ships containers Down Under / has offered many times for such things as your wheels...

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

Mate im aussie through and through but by most my stuff from the US.

Will support MY economy before i support the AUS economy.

Now, do Summit have the same rims??? summit is usually cheaper on the shipping. If not contact LS1 Hatch...He is an importer in Cali, you may be able to get them sent to him and him import them cheaper.

Cheers.

#4 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

Of course! I had forgotten about LS1Hatch (love that car). I'll PM him and try Summit too. Thanks fellas.

#5 _hendo82_

_hendo82_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

I was looking at ordering 2 x 15x6 convo pros and the total was nearly half the price i could pay in Perth. I was thinking of going through Jegs.com aswell.

#6 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

I've just PMed LS1Hatch, and will report back with his answers. If it's good news, there may be a few forum members who want to order up as well. It's an interesting exercise, whatever happens!

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

Yep i've been meaning to hit him up about a few tyres....its just getting them from melb to CQ that i have to work out.

Cheers.

#8 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

but thats still under $800, do these rims exist around that price down here?

#9 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'll reply to your message too, but might as well jump in here as well, lol..

I like Summit better than Jegs myself..the stuff gets to me quicker (no big deal really if I am only shipping it I guess) but Summit has always really taken care of me if any issues have come up, so I stick with them!

And yep, no problem on shipping wheels..be it a pair or a few pallets. (I just sent 20 pallets of wheels for us, and about 6 pallets of them for a customer actually..along with a few sets just for other guys)

As Bomber mentioned, you just have to sort out getting them to where ever you are from Melbourne..my mate I work with is just too flat out when it's unloading time to sort that stuff out for me, so you just have to sort out a courier, a mate, etc to grab them from Lilydale for the ride up your way.

Edited by LS1 Hatch, 26 April 2011 - 01:10 AM.

#10 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

well for all others interested what are the shipping costs associated with your operations?

I was having a look on Jegs and i couldn't believe the prices.

Though i should ask are these per rim or per set?

Edited by judgelj, 26 April 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#11 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

Well, costs vary on size,what they are,etc...but for example, the pair of wheels for $300 that Sam had mentioned in the begining of this thread, I'd land them in Melbourne for $100.

#12 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

G'day all,

I have been researching some wheels from www.Jegs.com in the States, and found a set of front 17x8s I wanted to try. Cost: $300. Shipping: $397... I rang Jegs, and they said the shipping cost is the best they can do. Does anyone have any ideas on this? As much as I hate sending my dollar overseas, the savings on the wheels themelves are too hard to ignore, however with the shipping costs as they are, it looks like I will be shopping in Oz.

Any ideas anyone?

have you got a picture of the wheels you are getting? torana stud pattern or something different?

#13 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

have you got a picture of the wheels you are getting? torana stud pattern or something different?
[/quote]

Dickiep, these are the wheels I am after: http://www.jegs.com/...oductId=1211759

Posted ImageYes, they are at the cheap end, but I am on a super tight budget, so wanted to get these, then paint or powdercoat the centers, super-polish the lips, etc. All of which I can do myself and save cash. I have an LX four door, it will be flared, and it runs a 300mm Hoppers kit up front with HQ stud pattern.

The price is $149 for a single 17X8 with 4.5-inch backspace (fronts). The rears will be 17x9 with 5-inch backspace, which should fit. I can't find anything on offest on the website, but will ring Jegs first, I dont want to have to do this all in reverse.... The best bit about Jegs is that they are 24-hour. No hassles worrying about the time difference, they are there all the time!

As LS1 Hatch posted above, he can land them in Melbourne for $100 (though I have to wait longer, being a container and all), so if Jegs can get them to him for a reasonable amount, then it's a no brainer. I have people coming from Melobourne all the time who could bring them to Sydney for me.

Any other suggestions on wheels? Anyone reckon the rear sizes mentioned above won't fill the flares enough? 17x10 would be better but they don't make 'em.

cheers,

#14 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Just to clarify...that price was the pair you had originally mentioned, but can send all you want to buy of course ;)

#15 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Oh, and if you wanted to see what they will look like before the get there, I could always hold one up to my car, ha ha... :lol:

#16 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

Yes Jeff, the $100 was for the pair only. just thinking with the saving I may now be able to get all four wheels at once. I just sent you a PM asking for a revised price. Like I said, super tight budget (not many Wife Dollars, and we just had our third child). Good idea on holding them up - my car will be red too. That said, my wheels will have black centers when I finish with them, still be fun.

Anyone have any nad experiences with 4.5-inch backspace on the front eight-inchers? I know 4-inch is better, but 4.5s should fit, yeah?

#17 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

I have 18" x 8" on the front of mine, but I have non-stock hubs so my back space would not really suit a stock setup. I just built my wheels to suit the car (Since I had them built from scratch anyways) I don't remember the back spacing off hand, but it might have been in the 4.5" neighborhood..hmmmm...

#18 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Just another wheel thought for you.... have you seen the Rev Wheel (Classic, is what they call it) A torque thrust looking wheel..they actually got it licensed by American Racing now even, and they are similar in price to what you are looking at now.

We've used them a bunch of times and they are a nice looking wheel for not a big cost (one piece like the ones you listed as well)

They come in 17 x 7,8,9's (amoungst other sizes) just the standard sort of back spacings like most other ones this style..

Here is a pic of them and also how they looked on a '70 Camaro I sold there..

Attached Files

#19 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

http://www.jdwheels.com/boss338.htm

#20 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

Mate im aussie through and through but by most my stuff from the US.

Will support MY economy before i support the AUS economy.

The motorbike retails are doing it hard due the high dollar.

As Bomber mentioned, you just have to sort out getting them to where ever you are from Melbourne..my mate I work with is just too flat out when it's unloading time to sort that stuff out for me, so you just have to sort out a courier, a mate, etc to grab them from Lilydale for the ride up your way.

Is your mates name Peter?

#21 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the wheel suggestions fellas. In a fashion typical of us on this forum, however, I had already decided to blow the budget by sussing out some better wheels. They are such an important part of the look of the car, plus I'd regret going the cheap option when for not much more I could have something better.

I have settled on these:

http://www.summitrac...CLL-9197956547/

Posted Image
They are the Centerline Legend Series Lazer 11, are forged alloys and therefore come in a range of sizes and backspaces. And I can land them here for around $AU1000 thanks to LS1 Hatch. I will go for 17x8 with 4-inch backspace, and 17x9.5 with 5-inch backspace. I just want to talk to an engineer to see if I can actually get them legal tomoz. Not sure I can in NSW, anyone got any experience there? I can't get a clear answer out of the RTA, and it's about time I talked to an engineer anyway.

#22 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

Cool deal!

If you want to see how they look on a Torana, I might be able to fit one over my rear brakes (just) but front brakes are too big for a 17" wheel to fit over them, lol...

I could just set them next to the car if you wanted at least though. B)

#23 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

Yes please! This is going to be a long wait.

For everyones info, shipping within the states from Jegs or Summit is around $13 (to anywhere and doesn't seem to matter how much gear), so getting the wheels to LS1 Hatch is cheap as. His rates are great too, so it's a good deal.

They are on the way!

#24 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

They are the Centerline Legend Series Lazer 11, are forged alloys and therefore come in a range of sizes and backspaces. And I can land them here for around $AU1000 thanks to LS1 Hatch.

WOW! That is incredibly cheap! I'm looking forward to see how they look on a Torana!

#25 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

Yes, not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but I wanted something a bit different to the five spokers I was originally looking at. The bloke doing my paint gave them the big thumbs up, and should match what were doing there.

So excited, I thought wheels were a way off for me (saving like a bastard) but the dollar has meant I can get them sooner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users