Sound Proofing my Hatchback

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _torana50_

_torana50_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi all. Thought i'd share my experience with fitting sound proof tiles over the floor pan of my hatch.
I started from the rear hatch floor and covered the rear wheel arches and right through to the firewall.
The results have been a fantastic improvement and reduction in noise and heat coming through from the engine and trans.
I also replaced all the underfelt and carpet through the car and installed a layer of underfelt behind the rear seat.
My car is a 308 with twin extractors and the noise inside the car has dropped considerably.

The tiles were very easy to mould to the floor pan shape using a cheap heat gun and with a bit of cutting into shape with scissors.

I would recommend this if, like me you drive your car regularly.

I have included some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

Also looks great! Thnaks for sharing!

Was it easy to do? Or needs a bit of patience...

#3 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Nice Job mate look great!
Daz

#4 _torana50_

_torana50_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
It was very easy to do and cost about $220.00 for the tiles + Carpet and underfelt.
I took my time and did it over a week and a bit.

#5 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

looks good mate, nothing worse than a car that is sticking hot inside and cooking your feet :mellow:

hey matt is the tiles the same as what tim ( dirtbag ) used on his brothers hatch ??

#6 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX Sedan in the build

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

Which brand tiles were those Torana50? There are a few creeping onto the market now, but I've heard some are better than others. Also, how many tiles did it take to do the job and what size are they? If one box can cover a floor, it sounds like good value. Last question: how much weight does it all add? I can't afford a monster engine, so need to save weight instead. :-)

#7 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

I used Hushmat in the Torana and really happy with it! (used it on a '69 Camaro in the past too)

Goes does well, and sticks really good too...keeps it quieter inside and cuts down on resonance too. I still need to do the doors and the rear wheel arches (have to buy another box of the stuff). I did under the dash, all the way to the very top, behind the defroster ducting, and all the way to the taillamp panel.

#8 _torana50_

_torana50_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

I looked at both Dynamat and Resomat and heard good and bad on both. In the end the Resomat was able to be purchased in a box and individual tiles so I went that way. I ended up using 6 extra tiles. With Dynamat I could only buy by the box and I did not need that many tiles. Tiles are 490mm x 490mm. I think the extra weight is a couple of kilos, worth it for the benefit. I only used standard underfelt but with a sound deadening underfelt the results would be even better. More cost though. Couple of other pics;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next job will be reupholstery of seats.

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

Hi all. Just at the point of starting to lay down some deadener etc and was wondering if anyone has some pics of where the rear seat section (hatch) has been covered.  Just trying to get a handle on what will need to remain uncovered and or gaps left for seat fitment. Cheers Ron

#10 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:19 PM

The soft adhesive backed stuff like dynamat and the cheaper car builders version is very thin and unlikely to give you a “thickness problem”.

When I did the LJ and the ute I covered every reachable surface. You can always cut a hole in it if needed.

Combined with foil backed 10mm foam and new carpet it’s made a marked difference. Can’t even hear the whining throw out bearing in the LJ anymore.

Highly recommended to anyone when they have their car apart.

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:07 PM

Real men don't need that crap

#12 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Rexy.  I will also be running with waterproof underlay which, with the two, in total will be about 12mm or so.

Hi Rob. Sadly even real men age, lol, and due to the abuse the ears have taken over the years, comfort sometimes out-ways bravado. You must be getting along with your build given the extended lockdown we are enjoying. Cheers Ron

#13 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:08 PM

I've had Stinger Roadkill sitting on a shelf for probably 5 years now - eagerly awaiting installation into the LX! One day I'll get off my ass and finally fit it. I too, am now an old aging man :)

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

lol even I sprayed Lizard Skin on my car. 

And I'm anti power steer, autos, power brakes, all that crap.

Eagerly awaiting someone to invest in designing and producing a mirror that looks as good as a GTS mirror, but doesn't howl in the wind at road speeds.

#15 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:31 PM

And I'm anti power steer, autos, power brakes, all that crap.

You have now learn't grasshopper but can you take the pebble?  :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users