I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Well I was looking for an MS55 Crown wagon for months and couldn't find shit. They've all been thrown out by bogans because they didn't have V8s. I can't believe I actually thought Toranas were rare cars before I got into this stuff. You ask any wrecker, part distributor etc about any parts for any of these vehicles and they look at you like you're retarded or laugh in your face. The older generation don't seem to understand that they took so many liberties with what people like me would go to such great lengths to get their hands on. We just get left with the exceptions that didn't get penetrated by shotgun pellets or sent to the wreckers because they had blown head gaskets

Anyway, I wanted a wagon that had quirkiness that appealed to me, needed to have a bench seat in the front and an in-line six, obviously needed to be manual, had to be made between 1960 and 1980 and really needed a paintjob that made it look like it had been sitting neglected for a while (more patina would be preferred but that can be arranged). I got pessimistic about finding something Japanese so I started looking at full sized Holdens and they were all overpriced, auto, distasteful with boganized interiors and filled with dodgy repairs and backyard paintjobs aging in really ungraceful ways

Then some time in Feb my mate found something for sale that was a bit out of the ordinary. I'd never even seen one before. $950 later I had some mad car not many people understand hahahaha.
Posted Image
It's a 1973 Datsun H230. In Australia this one was called a 260C but there are a myriad of names for it internationally, for all intents and purposes, it's a Cedric - Nissan's answer to the Crown, but Nissan also have a more upmarket version called the Gloria which is pillarless (not available in a wagon). We never got Glorias in Australia unfortunately, but we got Cedric sedans, pillarless coupes and wagons. Not that you'd know because you never see them. What you do see a bit of is the more recent model, the 330 series 260C.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This one is a 2.6L L-series 6 (L26), cast iron block, alloy head, SOHC, non-crossflow, two barrel carb, points ign. Backed by a 3spd manual on the column with a hydraulic clutch and a Banjo-style live axle with big drums, rear end suspended by leaves with canted shocks, no swaybar. Front end is double wishbone with a swaybar, steering box with linkages, twin piston calipers on solid discs. Fortunately it's a twin circuit braking system too.

Bench seat front, bench seat rear, two person dickie seat in the back that faces the opposite way.

It's got all kinds of important factory features like a hidden map light in the dash, cooling vents in the front footwells like you get on an 40-series Landcruiser, only these ones are more subtle than the steel flaps on a 40. It's got a light that sits on the underside of the bonnet so if you break down at night, the whole engine bay is illuminated well. It has an electric window above the rear left quarter that can be activated by the key barrel in the guard or a switch on the dash. It's got storage space under the rear seat, and it all folds flat with hard rubber on the back of everything (not like a Holden wagon where they trim it with vinyl! Yeah good one dickhead) so it's good for chucking diffs and gearboxes in the back (which will be a common activity in this car). Four windscreen washing jets, intermittent wipers, two piece tailshaft, five stud wheels (5x114.3), mechanically sprung tailgate and bonnet, etc. The spare wheel is stored up under the arse and it has a mechanism for lowering it gracefully, it has a nice original toolkit which has a few things in it including 'Datsun' folding wheel chocks and a speed-wrench with rotating grips so you don't rub your skin as you lower the spare wheel or jack the car up using the scissor jack that is stored under the bonnet which has its own reduction gearbox incorporated into it!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

All of those shots were taken the day I bought the car, I've done a fair bit to it since, it's slightly more presentable, updates will come shortly.

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

That's so ugly, yet cool ?!

#3 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Cooler than a polar Bear's freckle Heath. I like its total originality..... even the trim looks in good order. So with the dicky seat is it classified as an 8 seater? Those old L series motors respond very well to a turbo and will withstand quite a lot of abuse.

#4 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

i wrote one of these off in the bush in about year 9

definately wasn't in as good condition as yours

good buy!

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

Been following it on Ozdat
We might make a dattoboy out of you yet

#6 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

Nice, classic jappo cars have got a HUGE following over here. I think we got more of them since we didnt quite have the holden/ford/crysler dominance at the time. Check out www.oldschool.co.nz and you'll find alot of like minded people over there, though the first bit of advice will that it needs to be slammed to the weeds. What is the relay next to the brake distribution block for?

#7 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

Cooler than a polar Bear's freckle Heath. I like its total originality..... even the trim looks in good order. So with the dicky seat is it classified as an 8 seater? Those old L series motors respond very well to a turbo and will withstand quite a lot of abuse.

The reason why these motors respond well to turbo & handle a lotta abuse is this was the platform & testing ground for the Missan Skline RB26 & later VL Turblo RB30, Same bottom end only refined with later technology...... A friend had a 240Z years ago which was turboed and pushed out 400 ponies, The driveline was standard and never complained 1 little bit......
Good score Heath, Now chop thu top by 4 inches, drop the axles into thu weeds and then you can call it a LOW RIDER, SHAGGIN WAGOON......

#8 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

Heath,

my mum had a White 280C wagon with cream cloth interior for many years - I worked on that thing for at least 5 or 6 years for her.

I recon it was the next model to that one you have - mum's was a '78 from memory and had much more of a waistline at the back - many of the same features and some different ones - very nicely fitted out inside.

That light under the bonnet, you can turn the end 1/4 turn and it is actually a lead light with a hook on it if you havn't already reallised. I think I actually still have that in my shed - I took it off just before the rest of the car was driven to the wreckers.

Nice smooth engine but geesus the handling on it was like a prawn trawler.

I am pretty sure I have a few photos where it stars in the background somewhere here.

Matt

#9 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

what are your plans for it ???

#10 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

My father whos name is Cedric also owned a Nissan Cedric when he was in the 70s. His was a 6cly late 60s possably early 70s (different shape to your wagon). By the late 70s he bought a new car and it was left sitting around on my pops farm. I remember playing in it in the late 80s when i was a kid. Sadly it was crushed in the late 90s and all that is left was the badge that my dad kept.
Cool car hope you get the old girl fixed up.

This is the shape my dads was http://en.wikipedia....:130Cedric6.jpg

Edited by Neils LX, 28 May 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#11 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

Thats awesomely cool Heath.

I would be honored to ride in it one day.

That said, if you take up Whales suggestion and decide to chop the top, im all keen for it hehe. Obtain a Mig welder, an oxy, and a 5" angle grinder and arrange a suitable time for me to come bludge at your place again and we can make it happen hehehe.

Cheers.

#12 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

I had a "Super Six" many years ago... great car

Looked alittle like this one but with stock wheels

Posted Image

I've also had a 240C coupe and a 260C sedan and a 300C wagon

#13 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

Well I was looking for an MS55 Crown wagon for months and couldn't find shit.

Probly coulda found this if ya hada asked? :dontknow:

Attached Files

Edited by rodomo, 29 May 2011 - 02:22 AM.

#14 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

That's a cool car Heath. :spoton:

Any chance you're related to Dattoman? :sofa:

#15 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

That's so ugly, yet cool ?!

You're half right... :badabing: Posted Image

#16 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Hmmm....just had a look to see what datsuns where around here... how about a LHD ute project? lol

http://orangecounty....2405207535.html

Or....

http://orangecounty....2407991462.html

And...are these things really worth this much money? :blink2:

http://orangecounty....2375848853.html

#17 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

This car's awesome. I particularly like the interior

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

I recon it was the next model to that one you have - mum's was a '78 from memory and had much more of a waistline at the back - many of the same features and some different ones - very nicely fitted out inside.

That light under the bonnet, you can turn the end 1/4 turn and it is actually a lead light with a hook on it if you havn't already reallised. I think I actually still have that in my shed - I took it off just before the rest of the car was driven to the wreckers.

Yeah definitely sounds like a 330, which is the more common one. I didn't know about the lead light feature, mad! Thanks for letting me know hahaha

This is the shape my dads was http://en.wikipedia....:130Cedric6.jpg

Yeah that's a 130 which is the predecessor. They are probably rarer nowadays!

As far as the plans are concerned? Nothing outrageous. I'll just let the updates do most of the talking. Some definite plans will be LPG, moar lows and pissing off the 330 bumper that doesn't fit at all! Correct bumper shown below:
https://cache.gmh-torana.com.au/img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/Hezath/crsm000000000.jpg

All folded down, before I started cleaning shit. Still had heaps of bits of screen protectory stuff from when it was new! Unscrewed all the trims one by one and cleaned them up since
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pulled the sill trim off to fix up the rust
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Other side too:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Little bit around the screen:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Had LOTS of fun finding a replacement lense! I managed to find what I guess is the only one parts car wagon in Australia
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

It was a country car its whole life, had lots of cleaning to do. I thought the Torana was bad underneath but this was horrendous. Anyway it came up mint!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Front end needed some love
Posted Image

Painted in all the arches:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Couldn't buy balljoints or anything, nobody makes them haha. I cleaned all the joints out, put new boots on them and gave them fresh grease. Nothing seemed excessively worn so I'm not too concerned. Put new shocks in and adjusted the springs a bit while I was there. The rotors copped a skim too.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Drums machined and painted:
Posted Image

Edited by Heath, 29 May 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#19 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Tailshaft centre bearing/mount was pretty second hand. Couldn't get a new one so got a Bluebird one and made it fit by machining up an alloy 'snout' kinda splash guard with an interference fit on what was already there, and a steel washer to space it off. Diameters were all correct but the guards were different, offset was wrong etc.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Obligatory shot of me looking like a goose
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh yeah and got given some 14x7 0 offset Japan-made chromed steelies, fitted them with some cheap 195/70s. Fill the guards spot on. Gonna sack it soon, I'm waiting til it's on the road before I do that stuff, but I got my RWC last Friday so it's not far off!
Posted Image
Posted Image

And I spent like 50 hours pulling bits apart, cleaning them and putting them back on. There was so much of that plastic sticker stuff like a screen protector on a phone that had never been removed. And poxy carpet installation etc all sorted. Replaced seals here and there, gave some locks a good clean out and dose of lube etc.

Thought I'd just throw this in for good measure
Posted Image

Now we're up to date.

Edited by Heath, 29 May 2011 - 11:18 AM.

#20 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

been watching this on facebook mate, keep up the good work

#21 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

Love it mate, they have a certain appeal the old jap cars. My mrs cousin had a 120y wagon for years. Bastard wouldn't sell it to me no matter what I tried. He ended up writing it off. :<_<:

Edited by slr_v8, 29 May 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#22 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Have you got a time table around when the Mini Girl is loitering? :dontknow:
I might come and have a look?

#23 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

lol I thought you might have a better idea of her timetable? My attention is more dedicated to the girls I'm actually having sex with hahahah.

Datto just went over the pits at VicRoads, got rego!

And some black & white custom plates should be here in a few days too.

#24 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

Nice. And those wheels suit it too!

Wipe a bit of trans fluid over those tail light lenses...

#25 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Cheers. Yeah? Haven't heard that before. I was considering getting some plastic resin and letting that soak into them or something, what effect does the trans fluid have?

I've already polished them but yeah lots of tiny little cracks in them etc

Edited by Heath, 01 June 2011 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users