Oil Catch Can

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

Hi,

I want to run an oil catch can. My new alloy rocker covers have 12AN fitting welded in the center of them.

I was thinking of relocating the washer bottle under the guard which is mounted in the factory location on the drivers side of the engine bay. And fitting a catch can in place of the washer bottle.

If possible I want to pipe both rocker covers to one catch can.

Has anyone got pics of oil catch cans in torana engine bays?

Cheers Youngy

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

im not sure how much space you have, but I mounted mine down next to the chassis rail, I think the less on the inner guard the better.

#3 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Do you have any pics Chris.?

#4 _LX77SL_

_LX77SL_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

I have done two in my engine bay mate I tried to put pictures up but just locked myself out of my photobucket account haha. There are pictures in the members section thinks it's called 76 LX Hatch

#5 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

I found some photos, very nice car mate.

Posted Image

Only problem is my inter cooler piping will be exactly where your catch cans are lol.

Thanks anyway.

#6 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

I put mine on the passenger side of the firewall as you can see...

Attached Files

#7 jass_hatch

jass_hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

LS1 Hatch- so your catch can doesn't have a breather? Or is it concealed?

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

Breather is prolly the fitting out of the top that im guessing runs to the manifold?????

#9 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

It does not have a breather....I plumbed it the way LS1's seem to like the best from what I checked into. The engine vacuum (hard line on the top) pulls through the catch can, and into the PCV valve on the rocker cover as you can see.

The other side rocker cover gets it's fresh air from the air inlet tube (so it's clean).

Did it that way so it pulls the air across the entire engine (hopefully) and means the oil seperator/catch can is between the vacuum source and PCV valve which should help to eliminate the oil film from building up in the intake. (as the original LS1 setup can tend to do)

Attached Files

#10 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

LS1 Hatch, your setup looks very neat and it's the way I would go about it if I didn't have the factory airbox fitted.

#11 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

I found some photos, very nice car mate.

Posted Image

Only problem is my inter cooler piping will be exactly where your catch cans are lol.

Thanks anyway.

Hello,
can someone please tell me how to get these catch can cars licenced? I doubt we would be able to licence them here because of the ADR polution breach, as all Holdens after late 1973 had to have a sealed PCV system which drew air through the air cleaner which in turn burned any fume back flow?

Mike

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

Correct, but thats a gay rule and no one follows it.

LS1 Hatch's setup would be legal in AUS.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 12 June 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#13 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

I would assume it would be too, as it only goes inline of the vaccuum source, does not really alter how the PCV system works. It just moves the hoses around (since I am using a different intake as well) but the air it is taking in is still filtered and no 'dirty' air is going out...like if it had an open breather or such.

And yep...having the smooth firewall made mounting it much easier! Sure I could have found someplace or other to mount it if not though...most people here using them on LS1 powered factory cars (Camaro/Corvette) mount them up the front of the engine near where the belt tensioner is it seems...

#14 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

[/quote]

Hello,
can someone please tell me how to get these catch can cars licenced? I doubt we would be able to licence them here because of the ADR polution breach, as all Holdens after late 1973 had to have a sealed PCV system which drew air through the air cleaner which in turn burned any fume back flow?

Mike
[/quote]

My understanding is if the catch can IS vented then its illegal in Aust. A sealed system is fine as far as I know.

Cheers
Herne

#15 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

Yeah Herne I think that is the case.

I'm thinking of doing something similar to LS1 Hatch's setup.

Having both rocker covers piped to the oil catch can, and have a 'clean' air line piped to the vacuum side of the supercharger rotors i.e the brake booster vacuume line.

Hopefully you can make sense of my dodgy paint diagram

Posted Image

Only issue I can think of is that the factory PCV would have to be blocked off as it is in the castings of the blower, not on the rocker cover like yours. Hence the crankcase would always have some vacuum on it.

Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users