UC rear handbrake cable

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

I have an original disc brake diff for a UC that Im swapping for the original drum diff. Problem is,is that I CANNOT FIND A HANDBRAKE CABLE ANYWHERE to fit the disc brake diff!!! Pleeeeeeeeease help me with all of your infinite wisdom of Toranas on how I can go about doing a mod or tracking one down. Thanks in advance :Headbang2: Im in Toowoomba but will travel to Brisbane or happily pay postage to someone who may have that cable.

#2 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I have an original disc brake diff for a UC that Im swapping for the original drum diff. Problem is,is that I CANNOT FIND A HANDBRAKE CABLE ANYWHERE to fit the disc brake diff!!! Pleeeeeeeeease help me with all of your infinite wisdom of Toranas on how I can go about doing a mod or tracking one down. Thanks in advance :Headbang2: Im in Toowoomba but will travel to Brisbane or happily pay postage to someone who may have that cable.

Maybe try Flexible Drive Agencies 1300 36 37 35 as they make new cables and may have an agent near you. Alternatively try the Flexible Drive Agent in Adelaide (08 8268 9433 -contact is Ralph) as they have been making cables for the A9X (disc) & L34 (biscuit tins). I believe they are OEM (original equipment manufacturers.)

You may need to supply a sample or a photo accompanied with accurate measurements.

I hope this helps.

#3 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Maybe try Flexible Drive Agencies 1300 36 37 35 as they make new cables and may have an agent near you. Alternatively try the Flexible Drive Agent in Adelaide (08 8268 9433 -contact is Ralph) as they have been making cables for the A9X (disc) & L34 (biscuit tins). I believe they are OEM (original equipment manufacturers.)

You may need to supply a sample or a photo accompanied with accurate measurements.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Barron. I tried Flexi Drive BUT they need a sample,which I do not have :-( I dont even know where to start as I have rang every engineer type of place,wreckers all around QLD,Rare Spares etc etc. Im going nuts trying to get it,lol......No listings in any books for it either. Bugger!

#4 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

I hope this helps.

Yep I see your problem. I have nothing UC so can not help there. I how someone here can by way of photos and measurements.

Cheers

Thanks Barron. I tried Flexi Drive BUT they need a sample,which I do not have :-( I dont even know where to start as I have rang every engineer type of place,wreckers all around QLD,Rare Spares etc etc. Im going nuts trying to get it,lol......No listings in any books for it either. Bugger!

#5 _uctorry_

_uctorry_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hi mate

just letting u know there is a couple of mobs on ebay that sell the cable for uc disc break end

hope this helps
Stuart

#6 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hi mate

just letting u know there is a couple of mobs on ebay that sell the cable for uc disc break end

hope this helps
Stuart

Really? I have been searching for months and contacting everyone with no luck!! Could you send me a link if possible? Thanks!!

#7 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

I hope this helps.

Yep I see your problem. I have nothing UC so can not help there. I how someone here can by way of photos and measurements.

Cheers

I would looooooooooooooooooove photos and measurements. I have Ebayed the hell out of the UC and nothing...........contacted people Aust wide BUT,I need samples and measurements and all the info I DONT have dammit!!! lol!!!

#8 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hi mate

hope this helps
Stuart

Really? I have been searching for months and contacting everyone with no luck!! Could you send me a link if possible? Thanks!!

#9 _uctorry_

_uctorry_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

they have them on ebay quite oftenAuto Cables/Shades Ph:03 94361260

#10 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

they have them on ebay quite oftenAuto Cables/Shades Ph:03 94361260

Have emailed and called them via Ebay and their official site and they say they dont make them and need the original cable to copy it..................

#11 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Mate!

I have just looked into the crappy old factory parts manuals and there are 3 setups as far as I can tell.

1/ Cars that got a bench seat got the LH/LX foot brake.

1/ Cars with bucket & drum rears have the centre handbrake but the cables and rear installation of the cables is different to the disc. The cable approach the drum directly from the hand brake lever.

3/ Cars with the disc brakes have the cables run onto the diff and come in from the back of the caliper. Effectively pulling the lever towards the rear bumper.The A9X setup pulls the lever towards the front bumper if you know what I mean. As a result of this difficult path, the cables are long and are held in place by a complex arrangement of clips.

To make it even more confusing the parts list has 2 different cable part numbers listed for disc depending on the type of master cylinder used?
The UC came with master reserviors that are either cast ("first type" note 33) or plastic (A9X look) ("second type" note 34). This is the issue.

Disc with bucket with cast master = part # 9947422 (2 required)
Disc with bucket with cast master = part # 92007052 (2 required)

Personally I can't see why the cable would be different if only the master changes as there is onlyone picture of the disc rear setup and the caliper/lever arrangement does not appear to differ with master type. No idea.

Can you PM me your email address, I will try to scan the diagram and send it tomorrow.

Cheers

Edited by The Baron, 21 June 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#12 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

Maybe someone could check the A9X listing and see if the cable is the same as the UC one

I assume its the cables to the calipers you require

http://www.ebay.com....=item35ac9abe3a

According to my UC book there were 2 possiblities

9947422 is the genuine # for early cars with the all metal master cylinder
http://www.abouttime...art.asp?id=6104

99007052 is the genuine # for later cars with the plastic bottle master cylinder

You might need to get a length and ask the suppliers that have stock and get a picture of the ends to make sure they seem suitable

And this should have been in wanted section (correctly formatted)

#13 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

Gee Datto, a bit slow off the mark there^^^^^^^^^^

A9X = front access
UC = rear access

By the way, UC torrie lover, I just picked up in your other thread that you probably won't have the time (3 skids) or fit (another here soon) under the car to take any detailed photo's. :)

Cheers

Edited by The Baron, 21 June 2011 - 10:42 PM.

#14 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

Not sure that these guys can help, but they did a commodore rear disc into LX for me off the shelf, no measuring, said they do them all the time, maybe they might know the UC cable you're after.

Auto Cables 03 9434 1410

Edited by mick_in_oz, 21 June 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#15 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

I have a complete uc disc brake set up that i bought for a conversion but never used. I dont really want to seperate the handbrake cable, but i can take measurements if you want.

#16 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

Gee Datto, a bit slow off the mark there^^^^^^^^^^

A9X = front access
UC = rear access

I was trying to find my A9X supplement to get the part #'s to see what changed... if anything
Plus I'm abit slow today

And since I've never owned either.... I didn't know for sure

#17 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:19 AM

I have a complete uc disc brake set up that i bought for a conversion but never used. I dont really want to seperate the handbrake cable, but i can take measurements if you want.

WOW! Thanks! Would realllllllllllly appreciate that!!!

Not sure that these guys can help, but they did a commodore rear disc into LX for me off the shelf, no measuring, said they do them all the time, maybe they might know the UC cable you're after.

Auto Cables 03 9434 1410

Tried them several times......They need the original :-(

Maybe someone could check the A9X listing and see if the cable is the same as the UC one

I assume its the cables to the calipers you require

http://www.ebay.com....=item35ac9abe3a

According to my UC book there were 2 possiblities

9947422 is the genuine # for early cars with the all metal master cylinder
http://www.abouttime...art.asp?id=6104

99007052 is the genuine # for later cars with the plastic bottle master cylinder

You might need to get a length and ask the suppliers that have stock and get a picture of the ends to make sure they seem suitable

And this should have been in wanted section (correctly formatted)

Gee,sorry Dattoman......New to the site and all...........cut me some slack :-)

#18 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

May I humbly suggest either:
1. Re installing the old drum setup to get registered or
2. Measuring with a piece of string to get the right length and work out what sort of ends are needed. Then get one made up or trawl the wrecking yards for something close enough to use.
R

#19 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

I did I did
I gave you part numbers... slower than Baron... but I tried
And links to suppliers that had them for you to check if they are right
And I didn't delete your thread in the wrong section

Though I did delete about 8 other threads in various other sections asking the SAME question

Thats all the slack I got :)

#20 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

I did I did
I gave you part numbers... slower than Baron... but I tried
And links to suppliers that had them for you to check if they are right
And I didn't delete your thread in the wrong section

Though I did delete about 8 other threads in various other sections asking the SAME question

Thats all the slack I got :)

*Laughs* Just giving you a hard time Dattoman :surrenderwave: I really appreciate the info. It all seems to check out. I have the metal master cylinder so it seems that cable will suffice or in fact be perfect. I have emailed them asking if they may by chance have the OTHER cable,lol......It's an awesome start to getting another manufactured..............You have actually been a great help. Thanks heaps!

#21 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

May I humbly suggest either:
1. Re installing the old drum setup to get registered or
2. Measuring with a piece of string to get the right length and work out what sort of ends are needed. Then get one made up or trawl the wrecking yards for something close enough to use.
R

Bah-humbug to the drums I say......had NOTHING but trouble with them. Have trawled the wreckers for years now,Aussie wide, with no luck. Damn Torries and their rareness,lol.....Aaaaaaaaaaaargh :Headbang2:

#22 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

The complete lenght of the cable is about 1890mm from tip to tip. The outer cable is 1555mm from seat to seat.Both cables are the same lenght.

Edited by Guzzoline addict, 23 June 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#23 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

#24 pmsa9x

pmsa9x

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Name:john
  • Car:a9x sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

there are to cables in uc foot brake and hand brake the rear outer cables off a kingwood are same for diff to body. you could make one if you get outer calbe . later master only on cars with hand brake

#25 _UC torrie lover_

_UC torrie lover_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Posted Image

You guys have all been great. I really appreaciate the help and photos. Might be able to get my girl on the road before my new bub arrives!!! WOOHOO!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users