HQ calipers on Torana stubs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _LHtofly_

_LHtofly_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

Gday all hate to bring this subject up again as I know theres plenty of threads covering it but after reading them all decided to go with HQ Cast iron PBR calipers on torana disc stubs and machine the OD of new HQ rotors down 6mm. Did this according to a post on this site but when trying to fit the calipers the disc rotor is too far out on the stub axle and caliper has no room for a front pad. Took the crossmember in to pedders and they said that HQ rotors dont fit onto Torana stubs and to go get HQ stubs...which means ive trashed a disc by machining it down. Please any ideas would be great pretty stuck on what to do from here

#2 Hybrid

Hybrid

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:LC 2 Door

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Gday all hate to bring this subject up again as I know theres plenty of threads covering it but after reading them all decided to go with HQ Cast iron PBR calipers on torana disc stubs and machine the OD of new HQ rotors down 6mm. Did this according to a post on this site but when trying to fit the calipers the disc rotor is too far out on the stub axle and caliper has no room for a front pad. Took the crossmember in to pedders and they said that HQ rotors dont fit onto Torana stubs and to go get HQ stubs...which means ive trashed a disc by machining it down. Please any ideas would be great pretty stuck on what to do from here

You're advice from Pedders is wrong. HQ disc rotors fit perfectly well on Torana stubs. I have a set of these rotors on my LC which are also fitted with Torana stubs.

I am very confused by "but when trying to fit the calipers the disc rotor is too far out on the stub axle and caliper has no room for a front pad"

What do you mean by "too far out?" When you say the "caliper has no room for a front pad", do you mean the outer pad won't fit in the caliper? Perhaps a photo would help.

Cheers,
Brett

#3 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

Certainly fit, just done the mod myself !

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

Sounds like time for a couple of pictures of the problem. Could be wrong or incorrectly seated wheel bearings.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 21 June 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#5 _LHtofly_

_LHtofly_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

LXM21: Got any pics would love to see them.

Hybrid: Sorta thought that might be the case. Problem with fitting caliper is the disc doesnt seem to slide far enough on stub axle to allow the caliper to fit over the disc with an even gap for pads on both sides. Wheel bearings are hard up and rotor is touching seal so unless the rotors are machined wrong I cant make sense of it. Pedders man, after I voiced my opinions on HQ stubs (geometry,kingpin inclination and height problems), laughed and said id been reading too many books and his brothers car runs fine with that set-up.....aghhh.

May be worth going to the wreckers and getting a used HQ rotor and fitting that up and seeing how that goes? I like the idea of retaining all the correct steering geometry and such. This might be a stupid question but on which side are the calipers mounted ie to front or rear of car?

#6 _LHtofly_

_LHtofly_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

Left crossmemeber at Pedders so will go wreckers and get a HQ rotor and machine it down tomorrow and test fit on thursday take a few pics then.

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

I wouldn't leave anything at Pedders personally.

They dont seem to know the first thing about anything when it comes to anything older than 15 years old....

First check, are you sure you put the bearings in right?

Second check, is the sliding type caliper slid all the way out? Check for gunk on the slides that may be stopping it from coming all the way out.

Cheers.

#8 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

I agree with everything bomber just said

#9 _LHtofly_

_LHtofly_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

Sure about the bearings there kinda hard to mess up. Not sure about caliper when i was given them i got them all in pieces and got a local brake shop to re-co them. Starting to think this is where the problem lies. So should they be mounted at the front or rear of disc? Mates car that ive seen with hq brakes has them to the rear but he uses hq stubs also. Cheers for the help!

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

Front or rear depending on where you have more clearance....

That wont affect them fitting over the disk though.

Cheers.

#11 _LHtofly_

_LHtofly_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Cheers so its not an issue then. It has to either be the calipers or incorrectly machined rotors its the only things that make sense. Thanks for all the help ill take a few pics when i have time Cheers

#12 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

slight bit of grinding was required on the inner radius of the outside pad to stop it rubbing on the rotor shoulder, really other than that everyhing went ok. Was a little tight to turn the actual rotor when all bolted up, but a little wear should ease this, or simply linish outer pad surface a bit.

I am sure theres a 'sticky' on this in the brake section. It works also with the Girlock type caliper also.

#13 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

:useless:

#14 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

Left crossmemeber at Pedders so will go wreckers and get a HQ rotor and machine it down tomorrow and test fit on thursday take a few pics then.

There is no need to machine the HQ rotor from the wreckers to trial fit. If you sit the caliper on the full size HQ rotor you will be able to see if it lines up with the mounting pad on the stub axle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users