• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi All,

I am wanting to find out whether anyone on this forum can remember, or has any knowledge of a road registered Salamanca Red 72 LJ XU1 V8, fitted with a 253 & Aussie 4 speed, getting around Victoria, possibly Melbourne, in the late 1970s. The car moved to SA around 1981 or 1982 & registration was changed to SA. Prior to this time the 2 front tags were removed, don't know whether they were stolen or for what reason. Am trying to trace it's history prior to coming to SA. A Victorian rego number would be handy. Any information would be a great help & muchly appreciated.

Regards,
Pete.

#2 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Blake

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

what year did you purchase this car? theres not too many xu1 v8s in adelaide, a few, but not many, as my dad did have one and was red salamanca lj.

Cheers Blake

#3 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

Some photo's might help jog peoples memory (especially if you are the current owner or if you did own it at sometime).

#4 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

what year did you purchase this car? theres not too many xu1 v8s in adelaide, a few, but not many, as my dad did have one and was red salamanca lj.

Cheers Blake

Hi Blake,

Have only purchased car recently. Am aware of the 3 owners since coming to SA. Car was restored by the first SA owner & fitted with stroked 308 & Supra 5 speed. Does this sound like the car your dad had. Would like to unlock it's history prior to coming to SA.

Regards Pete.

#5 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

Some photo's might help jog peoples memory (especially if you are the current owner or if you did own it at sometime).

Car was in a fairly shabby & unloved state when it came to SA & was restored by it's first SA owner. Photos of the car now would probably not help much, as it looks brand new, unlike it would have looked in Victoria. Was just hoping that someone might remember a car like this in Victoria, as there would not have been a hugh amount of them around, especially with a 253 & red. The car also had sprintmasters.

Regards Pete.

#6 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Blake

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

yes dads car had sprintmasters aswell haha. what colour is the engine bay? black or red?, also another way of indentifying it is knowing the previous owners name, the guy you bought it from? and its rego plate?

cheers good luck!

#7 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:56 AM

Hi
try your chassis number through Vic Roads Archive Section,if it was rego in Vic they might be able to find it through there records by its chassis number, or try A.O.M.C in Victoria,but they really need its engine number to find it of for a extra fee they could look for it by chassis number.
Your state should be able to tell u when your cars first rego details started on there records etc,that might help in your Quest etc,if u need A.O.M.C or Vic Roads Archives Addys, give me a PM

#8 _formers_

_formers_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

was this the car thet was on bennets auctions for a while and then on car sales? are you sure it was a xu1 and not just a gtr? did you get it for a good price as it looked in good nick!

#9 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

Hi
try your chassis number through Vic Roads Archive Section,if it was rego in Vic they might be able to find it through there records by its chassis number, or try A.O.M.C in Victoria,but they really need its engine number to find it of for a extra fee they could look for it by chassis number.
Your state should be able to tell u when your cars first rego details started on there records etc,that might help in your Quest etc,if u need A.O.M.C or Vic Roads Archives Addys, give me a PM

Hi xu2308
Have spoken with Vic Roads. All archives from the 70's are on microfische & they can only locate the vehicle by it's rego number. Have given them the chassis no & engine no, but they couldn't find anything. What is A.O.M.C
Regards Pete.

#10 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:58 AM

yes dads car had sprintmasters aswell haha. what colour is the engine bay? black or red?, also another way of indentifying it is knowing the previous owners name, the guy you bought it from? and its rego plate?

cheers good luck!

Hi Blake,
Is that your dad's car featured by you in the Salamanca Red GTR & XU1 register, with reg no UJO 592. If so, this is not my car, as my car had a ULX reg no from when it was first registered in SA in 1981/82, until a couple of years ago. BTW my engine bay is black.
Regards Pete.

#11 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:08 AM

was this the car thet was on bennets auctions for a while and then on car sales? are you sure it was a xu1 and not just a gtr? did you get it for a good price as it looked in good nick!

Yes it is. No, I am not sure as the front tags are missing, but I believe it to be an XU1, but have no proof. Do you have reason to believe it is only a GTR. Any info would be helpful.

#12 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Yes it is. No, I am not sure as the front tags are missing, but I believe it to be an XU1, but have no proof. Do you have reason to believe it is only a GTR. Any info would be helpful.

hey pete i spoke to a guy down glenelg when there was a display on the lawn next to the buffallo restaraunt this car was there not sure if it was you though i spoke to....there are ways of telling if its an original xu1 body where abouts are you located???

#13 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

hey pete i spoke to a guy down glenelg when there was a display on the lawn next to the buffallo restaraunt this car was there not sure if it was you though i spoke to....there are ways of telling if its an original xu1 body where abouts are you located???

Thanks for the info bullitljv8, have PM'd you.

#14 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:06 AM

Here is the A.O.M.C Form, u can go through them,give them your Engine Numbers and can find your Vic Rego Number,its worth a try i say.
Regards AL

Attached Files

#15 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

I will be looking into it straight away. Thanks for the good oil, AL
Regards Pete.

#16 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi All,

I am wanting to find out whether anyone on this forum can remember, or has any knowledge of a road registered Salamanca Red 72 LJ XU1 V8, fitted with a 253 & Aussie 4 speed, getting around Victoria, possibly Melbourne, in the late 1970s. The car moved to SA around 1981 or 1982 & registration was changed to SA. Prior to this time the 2 front tags were removed, don't know whether they were stolen or for what reason. Am trying to trace it's history prior to coming to SA. A Victorian rego number would be handy. Any information would be a great help & muchly appreciated.

Regards,
Pete.

An updated request for any information. Car is a genuine XU1 sold by Canberra Holden Dealer Beazley & Bruce in Nov 72. Does any ACT/Canberra forum member remember any one with a red XU1 in Canberra in the 70's. At some stage car moved to Victoria, Melbourne apparently, & at some time was fitted with a 253 V8. Does any VIC/Melbourne forum member remember a car like this in the late 70's or early 80's. It came to SA in 1983. The owner that sold it into SA in 1983 said he " worked with Brock ", whatever that meant. It's story & request for info was in AMC Muscle Assist issue 61. If anyone can help I will be glad to hear form you. I know it's a long shot, but you never know your luck in a big city. I have attached a pic, might jog someones memory.

Cheers Pete.

Posted Image

#17 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Still looking for info, anyone know of this car getting around Melbourne or Victoria prior to 1983, anyone?

#18 _jongtr_

_jongtr_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

hey mate was just wondering if you ever ended up doing that search up their and weather it was actually any help to you at all ?

#19 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

hey mate was just wondering if you ever ended up doing that search up their and weather it was actually any help to you at all ?

Hi John,

Yes I did, it was well worth the exercise, athough unfortunately they could not find my car, as I could not provide them with the first registered Victorian engine number, which they need. They could not find my original engine number, which was probably gone by the time it got to Victoria, but they did find my current engine no, but not in my car. At least I now know that my current engine no came from a 1971 Victorian HQ. Then, over a period of about 12 months, they searched 1000s of record cards looking for my Chassis No, but with no luck. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack, or as they said, a needle in many haystacks.

Pete.

#20 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Another request for any information that might help me unlock the history of my XU1 prior to coming to SA in 1983. Looking for anyone who can remember the car in Melbourne or Vic in the late 70s / early 80s fitted with a 253 V8. An unusual feature that might be remembered was that it had a recessed battery box fitted into the front of the LH skirt, behind the headlight. It had this when it came to SA. I have attached a picture. I have also attached a more detailed request for info that was in Issue 61 of AMC magazine. There are more pics of the car in Issue 21 of The Aussie Muscle Enthusiast.

P1060040_zpsf67c726c.jpg

Recessed battery box

P1060043_zpsd14409ba.jpg

Request for info

Hoping someone may know something.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Pete.

#21 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

Attached File  Red XU-2 Story.jpg   144.26K   15 downloads

Attached File  Red XU-2 Story page 2.jpg   159.41K   12 downloads

Street Machine Magazine article, from 1980's

Edited by xu2308, 14 August 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#22 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi Pete

I have some mags from the late 1980's and 1990's they were just full of Torana's will have to suss them out to see if any Red V8 LJ XU-1's are in them, just in case.

AL

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Al,

I've got an article in Torana Power magazine No. 5 about James Mattiskes Red XU-2. This article says that James had to sell the car in 1989. It was purchased by Brad Spiteri who ended up selling it (due to harassment by the cops) to some lucky fella for 10k.

Apparently it was originally an LC GTR converted to LJ.

#24 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Great work Dave

#25 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hi Pete

I have some mags from the late 1980's and 1990's they were just full of Torana's will have to suss them out to see if any Red V8 LJ XU-1's are in them, just in case.

AL

Thanks Al, I appreciate your work.

Al,

I've got an article in Torana Power magazine No. 5 about James Mattiskes Red XU-2. This article says that James had to sell the car in 1989. It was purchased by Brad Spiteri who ended up selling it (due to harassment by the cops) to some lucky fella for 10k.

Apparently it was originally an LC GTR converted to LJ.

Thanks for checking your mags Dave, every little bit helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users