LH 2850 conversion to V8

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _joshua626262_

_joshua626262_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have just bought a 74 LH 4 door it is a 2850 and its a coloum manual. I want to do a V8 manual on the floor conversion. But I am tossing up between a injected V8 out of a VN/VT with the T5 or a V8 red motor with a T5?

I was wondering if anyone has done these conversions before and what problem would I expect to run into?

And what would be the cheaper option to go with?

Regards

Josh

#2 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

cheaper would be carbied and alot less head aches
you will need the
motor
a v8 alternator from a vn most likely
a torana v8 alternator bracket
v8 engine mounts
kings or torana v8 sump
extractors
v8 radiator and ya might aswell throw some au thermos in they work soo good
make sure you get a bosch hei dizzy from a blue motor
as for gearbox get a ford 6 box and a crs bell housing the ford box is shorter so it brings the shifter into line where they should be roughly
then you will need to get a tailshaft made up

#3 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Welcome to the forums.
Check some of the member's cars as both options have been done.
User name LH SLR3300 has done the 5l EFI so his build threads have a wealth of information.
Cheers,
Phillip

#4 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

IMO i would go with the EFI set up, :buttrock:

#5 _330OLX_

_330OLX_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

IMO i would go with the EFI set up, :buttrock:

I thought the same thing until I had a really good look at one on Sunday.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU CHANGE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP ? THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ENOUGH BLOODY ROOM TO DO IT WITHOUT REMOVING THE WHOLE ENGINE

#6 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

I have converted two 2850 LHs to V8, one an EFI 5.0ltr out of a VN Calais, the other a carbied 5.0ltr out of a VL. The carby V8 was the cheapest & easiest conversion, only simple electrical mods to accomodate electronic ignition & straight forward sump/pickup, engine mount swap. The EFI conversion entailed major electrical & fuel system upgrades, & yes the dizzy is hard to access with the factory EFI inlet manifold, but then i converted my 3300 SL/R to EFI 355 & fitted a Harrop manifold with 1000cfm throttle body which eliminated that problem.
LH 2850 to EFI 5.0ltr.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
LH 2850 to carby 5.0ltr
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
LH 3300 to EFI 355
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I'm no expert & i'm certain there are more knowledgeable people you can speak to on this forum, but i did all these conversions myself with little to no help so feel free to PM about them if you like. Cheers Matt

#7 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Matt,
how many pics have you got?

Did you want to run up a basic "How To...?" article for everyone?
When Josh does it he can grab extra pics to fill in the blanks :P

Grant..

#8 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

I have a total of around 1000 photos of all three cars, which i still own. Would be happy to post a "how to" thread based on my conversions if you think it'll be of benefit to others thinking of doing the similar conversions. Cheers Matt

#9 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Vote one from me for a How To fit an EFI 5Lt Matt! I'm halfway through mine, and while many have done this conversion, many still seem to be as well. It comes up pretty regularly on these forums, but there's no step by step how to. Keen to check out your cars tomoz when I pick up those springs, just to see where you've fitted various EFI bits and how you're rigged your fuel system.

#10 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

No probs Sam, i'm like most people on this forum, love my Toranas & like to do as much of the work on them myself as i can all the while learning new things. I've also been lucky to recieve good advice from a few people here as well & as such, i'm always willing to share my knowledge & experiences with others. Cheers Matt

#11 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

I'd be keen as to see a "How to.." on the EFI 5.0L conversion as well mate. Would be great to see all the info in one handy location. Much appreciated in advance! :buttrock:
Jase

#12 _joshua626262_

_joshua626262_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

Thanks Matt,

I would be very interested to see more pics and a step by step "how to".

I am sure everyone would in my situation would appreciate it.

Thanks

#13 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

Matt has been my online and phone support almost since the start of my build and it has made things a whole heap easyer thats for sure, thanks again Matt :spoton:

#14 _heapa_

_heapa_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

hi there matt im looking into doing this also can you give me some ideas as to do it right the first time please help would be great

#15 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Will try my best. VN-VP ECUs & wiring looms are fairly easy to adapt to Toranas. To make the job easier, get ahold of a multimeter.
Posted Image
This tool will be invalueable for testing voltage, resistance & finding circuits. When looking at an EFI harness removed from a car, it can appear very daunting, however alot of the circuits will be made redundant when fitting to a Torana (A/C, heater fan etc) & once removed the harness ends up half the size. This is another invaluable tool i've used for doing the conversions on my cars.
Posted Image
It shows all of the circuits needed to run the EFI & also shows each numbered circuit on the two plugs that go into the ECU making it easy (combined with the multimeter) to determine which wires/circuits you need & which ones you don't.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
For example, the two harness plugs that plug into the ECU have two circuit bars each marked A-B & C-D respectively. The main 12V sources to power up the ECU are marked on the plugs "C16" & "B1". Distributor input "B5" distributor earth "B3" etc. There are some things the manual won't show as it is a GMH service manual for VN Commodores, but it breaks down the EFI harness making it easier to splice it into the Torana harness. I've been pretty busy of late on my SL/R, which has prevented me from starting up a thread on how i did my conversions, plus the fact that my computer skills are limited, but you're more than welcome to PM me if you have any questions or you would like some copies of my wiring diagrams. Cheers Matt

#16 _TheGatch_

_TheGatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

Hi there, I have just put a HX 253 auto in to my 1979 1.9L sunbird torana. Was manual. I have earthed the motor to body. Does the gearbox need earthed. Reason why is the other day it was winding over and the next day nothing. Checked the battery and terminals. Fuel all good. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users