S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

dont shoot me could R mean original block reconditioned .i have a ql743015 spare used complete,3ribs 13d6 whatever that means.

13D6 is the block cast date code = 13th April 1976.

#27 _pgb73_

_pgb73_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

further i can remember my sister bought i think a new lx 2850 4speed torana and her friend a 3300 torana.at the time the 3300 toranas must have copped poor quality rings.gmh had a lot of unhappy customers.question would gmh have replaced or reconditioned these blocks.

thanks spac

#28 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hello Mike ,

There may be a way to test your theory out - that 'R' means replacement engine .

Joe Kenwright had two late 73 XU1's with high performance engines.

A white one - Aldo's car now and a Cyan blue one .

There is a story on the blue car in AUSTRALIAN MUSCLE CAR magazine some years ago .

This car basically had a dud engine because of core shift during the casting process

BLUEY sat in a Holden dealers yard for ages waiting for a replacement engine to be supplied and fitted under warranty .

Unfortunately for Joe , shortly after getting it back some turd lower than a snakes belly stole it .

So hopefully Joe can remember the NP stamping details and/or still have some paper work for it .

#29 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Hello Mike ,

There may be a way to test your theory out - that 'R' means replacement engine .

Joe Kenwright had two late 73 XU1's with high performance engines.

A white one - Aldo's car now and a Cyan blue one .

There is a story on the blue car in AUSTRALIAN MUSCLE CAR magazine some years ago .

This car basically had a dud engine because of core shift during the casting process

BLUEY sat in a Holden dealers yard for ages waiting for a replacement engine to be supplied and fitted under warranty .

Unfortunately for Joe , shortly after getting it back some turd lower than a snakes belly stole it .

So hopefully Joe can remember the NP stamping details and/or still have some paper work for it .

Thanks for that but he would need a really good memory to remember over that period.
please forgive me if I laugh!!!!!!!! :mellow:
That name is also associated with an article on the August 73 XU-1's
in which he stated that;
Only 150 were made, wrong.
They were called Bathurst XU-1, this isn't accurate as they had two races before this in the same spec.
Didn't realise there were two versions, a street version and a racing version.
Did not realise resessed bore tops only applied to racing versions and the associated cam was illegal on the streets.
Engine numbers were not allocated randemly as these were sequential with all Holden engine numbers.
Indicated that if a JP engine was not one of the 150 then it was not a final spec one, ( wrong )
Indicated that Harry Firth had an engine core under his bench which he could pour his own engine blocks, ( rubbish ) 1 core set is used for each block produced.
Con rods had bigger big end bearings ( rubbish ) bigger bolts yes )
12 port head ( rubbish ) they were the same 9 port heads.
Front harmonic balancer plate to stop throwing the rubber. well it was the outer cast Iron pulley that was the concern, and it did nothing to stop the pulley seperating from the rubber insulating ring.
Heater hose bracket fractures, ( really ) what about hose to extractor pipe clearance?
Heater hose were not draped loose in the engine bay on previous models!
Oil filler cap was black ( rubbish, replacements were ), all those engines were built at one location and they were silver!
Lighter flywheel was the same as 1972 weight wasn't it?
Monaro Brakes used, these do not fit inside any 13" wheel that Holden ever made to my knowlege?
it is not even true to say they were derived from the Monaro ones, as the HR had them earlier.
Extra box section under front guards, wasn't this fitted to every 1973 LJ, XU-1 or not? wasn't the V8 programme in 1971?
All late 1973 XU-1's had metric speedo and Odometer readings ( wrong ) the odometer was never metric on any LJ!
Amber indicator lights were introduced in late 72 so all 1973 Toranas had amber, not just from August 73!

You see why I might be sceptical about his memory?

Aldo, I think he might be a bit worried at the moment, and have other things on his mind.

Mike

Edited by Mike73, 28 November 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#30 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Your call I guess .

Regarding the oil caps - years ago my original silver one was looking very tired ,so I bought a new one from a Holden dealer - asked for a late 73 XU1 cap .

I was pleased to see the new cap was also silver with the same sticker /transfer as my old one . Yippee .

Some rear brake drum dribble - the scalloped ,wedged shaped HK drums will fit inside LC-LJ 5.5 '' steel rims and sprintmasters - why anyone would want to do this conversion is beyond me .

#31 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

mike hi what have i got to be worried about, im fine as we speak, nothing on my mind
i have an engine being examined eng no JP 390021
through the proper channels,i know it will come up true, then ill find the car with this engine no and have it delt with
please tell me what u think im worried about, may be u have some issues.............
regards aldo

#32 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

mike hi what have i got to be worried about, im fine as we speak, nothing on my mind
i have an engine being examined eng no JP 390021
through the proper channels,i know it will come up true, then ill find the car with this engine no and have it delt with
please tell me what u think im worried about, may be u have some issues.............
regards aldo

That sounds like the issue I was aware of, if you are not worried, then no issue, sorry if I offended you,
Mike

#33 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Your call I guess .

Regarding the oil caps - years ago my original silver one was looking very tired ,so I bought a new one from a Holden dealer - asked for a late 73 XU1 cap .

I was pleased to see the new cap was also silver with the same sticker /transfer as my old one . Yippee .

Some rear brake drum dribble - the scalloped ,wedged shaped HK drums will fit inside LC-LJ 5.5 '' steel rims and sprintmasters - why anyone would want to do this conversion is beyond me .

Thanks for helping dispel another myth, and confirm that the oil filler caps in Aug 73 XU-1 were actually silver when they were produced! I cannot comment on the fuel filler colour as I have no experience or proof either way there.

Why would you assume I was refering to the rear brakes? Those barely work ( on a S model at least ) I did 100,000miles (not kilometres ) in a LJ and it still had the rear brake linings! ( In the same car I replaced heaps of front pads )
It is the front Monaro discs that do not fit in any Holden produced wheel. I am aware of the rear brake changes too.

I have quite a range of 13" Holden wheels ( including steel and alloy ) and HT Monaro front discs do not fit any of them.

Mike

Edited by Mike73, 28 November 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#34 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

It's all good .

I'm well aware you were referring to disc brakes .

The topic of using Monaro 'finned' rear drums on XU-1's has come up on the forum at least once - and I chose not to comment .

This time when there was mention of Monaro brakes I chose to include some trivia - nothing more , nothing less .

Black oil caps - the most likely scenario for this myth that comes to mind --- when stocks of the silver caps ran out your Holden dealer would have sold you a black cap - ie a generic cap suitable for XU-1's and other models with the vented type cap - hence the myth .

#35 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

It's all good .

I'm well aware you were referring to disc brakes .

The topic of using Monaro 'finned' rear drums on XU-1's has come up on the forum at least once - and I chose not to comment .

This time when there was mention of Monaro brakes I chose to include some trivia - nothing more , nothing less .

Black oil caps - the most likely scenario for this myth that comes to mind --- when stocks of the silver caps ran out your Holden dealer would have sold you a black cap - ie a generic cap suitable for XU-1's and other models with the vented type cap - hence the myth .

I completely agree with how black caps got into circulation, I recon I have experienced this myself before when being offered a black cap by a dealership and no other colour one being available, it was all a long time ago.
Mike

#36 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

All late 1973 XU-1's had metric speedo and Odometer readings ( wrong ) the odometer was never metric on any LJ!

Mike

Do you have evidence to back up this claim???

Edited by S pack, 29 November 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#37 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi

That sounds correct. The speed could be read in MPH or KPH but the odometer remained in miles travelled.

Cheers

Bazza

#38 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi

but the odometer remained in miles travelled.

Cheers

Bazza

Maybe, maybe not.

Cheers
Dave.

#39 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Maybe, maybe not.

Cheers
Dave.

The odometer has only 6 windows and one of those was in parts of a mile, it would have taken a total redesign of the odometer and a change of the gearing to be able to read more than 99999 Km, no such redesign occurred. The Monaro would have been in the same boat as was the HJ model as I recall?
I have owned LC, LJ and TA of these models for 35 years cocsesecutively now and have wrecked many more from years 1969 to 1975 and none of these had a metric odometer, it was not possible to fit an extra numeral window in the odometer.

I believe the speedometer facia did change slightly in the later 70's as a spare part, and there were also vinal stickers available but these were not produced past 1977, though they are being produced again now. These stickers are marked with miles at the bottom.
The speedo came in both 100 mph and 120 mph versions, which changed to a dual reading ( miles inside and Kms on the outside ) for the speedo 100mph about July 1973 and a dual reading ( miles inside and Kms on the outside ) for the XU-1 about August 73 neither of these were metric odometers and none manufactured after these dates had metric odometers.
No good looking at a parts book because these were not even printed until 1975 when several changes had occurred to spare parts anyway.

There were several versions of the instrument pannel too ( none with double handbrake lights )

Mike

#40 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

R on the end of an engine or chassis number normally means REPEAT Mike. This is well documented in GMH literature. If it happened again an R1, then R2 was added. The R that has been seen on at least 1 x XU-1 NP block is not how it normally appears in my experience, and in that case I am not sure what it means. I have seen a few more R's on chassis numbers than I have on engines.

I can see a posibility of repeating one number but to repeat two numbers would be unlikely surely, would it be more likely that as cars were smashed and rebuilt that new chassis needed numbers on them, and the old number was transferred, ( R1 )and if the ownwer was real unlucky he could have the chassis replaced twice, ( R 2 ) ( unless he was just a crap driver )
Very much the same practice as replacement engines, with both sometimes having police number stamped instead of the old numbers transferred, It was possibly a licencing change that changed this practice.

Mike

#41 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Nope. It is a factory thing. R meant REPEAT. I have photos of ADR plates with AR and AM on them, and chassis numbers from the same cars. I also doubt R1 and R2 ever existed, BUT the documentation exists that spells out how GMH employees were to deal with such an occurance.

#42 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

You will also find it extrememly unlikely to find a bare unstamped factory supplied block post HQ engine series, and probably even post 1/68. Any of these I have seen appear to have been machined/decked and restamped, or simply machined and a Police number applied. Factory replacement engines and short motors will have Nasco/GMP&A numbers and block/piston kits appear to have normally arrived at the dealer performing the warranty work with the original engine number stamped. There is/was original procedural paperwork kicking around too with strict requirements that warranty replacement blocks be returned to (from memory - it was many years ago I saw it) the zone office for destruction.
Replacement chassis (in HQ-WB sense) were different and were supplied blank. I've had two of these and seen a few others.

#43 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

The odometer has only 6 windows and one of those was in parts of a mile, it would have taken a total redesign of the odometer and a change of the gearing to be able to read more than 99999 Km, no such redesign occurred. The Monaro would have been in the same boat as was the HJ model as I recall?
I have owned LC, LJ and TA of these models for 35 years cocsesecutively now and have wrecked many more from years 1969 to 1975 and none of these had a metric odometer, it was not possible to fit an extra numeral window in the odometer.

The speedo came in both 100 mph and 120 mph versions, which changed to a dual reading ( miles inside and Kms on the outside ) for the speedo 100mph about July 1973 and a dual reading ( miles inside and Kms on the outside ) for the XU-1 about August 73 neither of these were metric odometers and none manufactured after these dates had metric odometers.

Mike

Mike

I assume you have done on road distance checks and found the dual scale speedometers all had imperial odometers not metric???
Are you sure you want to stand by what you claim???

To start with, check out your 1975 LJ parts catalogue, in there you'll find instrument cluster 2818892 (metric) this cluster has Speedometer Pt No. VS11190 (single scale KM with 6 digit odometer same as all LJ speedos but in Kilometres).

Cheers
Dave.

#44 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yes but it is of course criticle to get the date context right.

As far as cut off dates of bare block and piston sets these continued from the earliest EH right through to the July 73 change for XU-1's and standard HQ - J -HZ QL prefix models, I have looked this up before and I am not going to do it again.
All this means that block and piston sets for all XU-1's right to July 1973 will be the same.
As far as cutting off at Jan 68 this is not correct, as I have a Dec 69 replacement block here which was supplied as a bare block, which matches the parts book indications that bare blocks continued right through to the end of QL before changing.

Short motors I have never seen any information of any Nasco short motors existing before 1970 and the only reason they might exist would because the X2 engines likely had differing parts, the camshaft for example.

I do most definately agree with you that Nasco short motors ( not block and piston sets ) will have had sequential Nasco prefix and numbers from 1970.
A thought has just occurred to me, I have been trying to figure out what use the NJ prefix 186 block I have is for, and putting it in an alfabetical context with the "J" it would put it just before the time of the 186 release in the late HD or HR, the HR of course having a 186A and 186K for the X2.
Perhaps it could be a 1972 Nasco replacement 186 for the 179 engine, any ideas?

You mention replacement engines, this is not the same case at all, as if you look at the parts books you will see that whole engines were not available as a spare part at all for 1966 to 1970 models, and that whole engines ( apart from 149 ) only became available as a spare at the same time as the introduction of the HQ in mid 71 when the 202 engine also became available as a complete item, you will find all this in the parts books.

As far as machining the engine number off and restamping with a Police number, you are communicating with a First Class Machinist by trade, and I think that this would most likely be done in an engine recon shop with the engine completely stripped, I think it far more likely that police stamped numbers when non ever existed before, like someone rebuilding an engine from a block and piston set and leaving out transferring the old engine number.
I have done a very similar thing myself when at work I rebuilt an Isuzu truck engine ( GM product ) the new bare block came with no engine number as a completely normal arrangement, after I had built the engine my forman instructed me to stamp the old number into the new block.
I have since seen another new old stock Isuzu block on Ebay, so I asked a question, "does the engine block have an engine number" the answer was NO!
I agree with you that repairing an engine at a dealership would have been carried out, but are you saying that anyone from the street could not purchase a block and piston set, as they do today, and rebuild an engine that was not covered by warranty?

The cost is usually a factor in replacing an engine block, and in most cases by the mid 70's it would have been cheaper to buy a complete running engine from the wreckers, or an exchange reconditioned one, so in that context I agree that it would be extremely rare for a new block to be fitted outside Holden dealerships, even then mainly under Warranty.
Certainally here in WA freight alone from Melbourne would have been a cost restraint to a new block or complete engine, and this would be how engine recon companies became common here.

Mike

#45 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Mike

I assume you have done on road distance checks and found the dual scale speedometers all had imperial odometers not metric???
Are you sure you want to stand by what you claim???

To start with, check out your 1975 LJ parts catalogue, in there you'll find instrument cluster 2818892 (metric) this cluster has Speedometer Pt No. VS11190 (single scale KM with 6 digit odometer same as all LJ speedos but in Kilometres).

Cheers
Dave.

I suggest you reread what I have stated and consider the timing of the compulsary intorduction of the Metric system in Australia,
1st July 1974 was it?

Mike

#46 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I suggest you reread what I have stated and consider the timing of the compulsary intorduction of the Metric system in Australia,
1st July 1974 was it?

Mike

I have read what you have stated and it is incorrect.

I suggest you do more research on the subject of dual scale speedometers!!!!!!

#47 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Mike,

You are not making a huge amount of sense in a lot of the above. Read through it all again and you'll see. Very hard to read.

Short motors certainly were available before 1970. You could buy a short motor or a block and piston kit right from the start of 1968 for HK, for 6cyl and V8. They are in the 1/68 Parts Catalogue. Nothing to do with X2 either.

The January 1968 date I used was because this was when the Nasco sequence for numbered short motors would have started. I've never heard of anything prior to that, which means itis unlikely GMH would have let an un-numbered block and piston kit out of Nasco either. Prior to that they probably did.

I never made mention of replacement engines with regards to pre HQ, not sure where you pulled that one from.

#48 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Mike,

You are not making a huge amount of sense in a lot of the above. Read through it all again and you'll see. Very hard to read.

Short motors certainly were available before 1970. You could buy a short motor or a block and piston kit right from the start of 1968 for HK, for 6cyl and V8. They are in the 1/68 Parts Catalogue. Nothing to do with X2 either.

The January 1968 date I used was because this was when the Nasco sequence for numbered short motors would have started. I've never heard of anything prior to that, which means itis unlikely GMH would have let an un-numbered block and piston kit out of Nasco either. Prior to that they probably did.

I never made mention of replacement engines with regards to pre HQ, not sure where you pulled that one from.

Glad on the whole that you agree with the majority of what I have mentioned.

I started of by stating that the date context was important, then I went through the replacements in that context.

You seem to be confusing several different things;

New block and piston sets ( that had no number ) a number stamped either by Police or old number transferred )
some later ones had an "R" to indicate that the block was a replacement.

New short motors from 1966 up to 1970 each size the same, except X2 / 186S etc would be different ( identification unknown )

New short motors from 1970 ( standard 186 & 202 the same respectivly / XU-1, 186S etc each type different with different identifying Nasco numbers from 1970 )
Assembly line 186P possibly a replacement for 186A and 179M / 179 F standard engines

Whole engines ( sequential from production line.) JP202 for late 71 LC XU-1 with July 71 dated 175 Strombergs
LJ sequential Holden numbered engines and HQ engines / GTR etc.

Mike

#49 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Whole engines ( sequential from production line.) JP202 for late 71 LC XU-1 with July 71 dated 175 Strombergs
LJ sequential Holden numbered engines and HQ engines / GTR etc.

Mike

Small clarification to the above.
The GMH July 1973 engine usage chart specifies 186 XU1 or 3300 XU1 as suitable engine replacements for LC XU1.
Nowhere on the document is there any reference to limiting the use of the 3300 XU1 service engine to late 1971 LC XU1's only.

Also a notation on the document states that provision was made to continue supply of 186 service engines. Could this include the 186 XU1 engine, maybe, however the 186 XU1 isn't specifically mentioned as being continued.
The fact the chart specifies 186 XU1 or 3300 XU1 indicates the 186 XU1 service engine was still available in July 1973.

#50 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,156 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Mike, again not a lot of sense! I am not confused with what I am saying, I am confused with what you are writing!

1. Evidence suggets block and piston kits got numbers - the original number off the car. Same evidence suggests these came stamped from Nasco for warranty replacement purposes. Original block had to be returned. I'm not even certain that it was easy to buy block and pistons kits over the counter. I do remember Young and Green in Kotara used to have short red motors all lined up for sale at the spare parts wharehouse. I don't ever recall seeing a block and piston kit. My guess is these were supplied only on firm order and with details of the car it was to go into, possibly easier for race teams.

2. 186L prefixed engines are not the same short motor as 186P. Pistons differ between low and high comp engines (same for 202). 161 and 186 differ along the way through HR-HG, cams change, lifters change, rear main seals change. They are not all the same all the way through. They are interchangeable but not the same and don't all suit one application. Manual and Auto short motors have a different part number too, and even 173 high and low compression short motors differ in part number, presuming the cam is different. HK to HK-HG have a different sump too so these are different short motors hence the different engine number prefix in road vehicles - 186A to 186P - a Nasco short motor for a HK-HG won't suit a HR as the sump is different.

No idea what you are getting at with 3 and 4, I have no confusion with any of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users