• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hi guys,

Been scanning through the build threads to see if anyone has started one that is specifically targeted at an LJ torana Group N track car, as the title suggests. I havent seen any but Welby's Targa Hatch project is the type of thing I was searching for.

I am planning on developing my LJ Coupe pictured below into a track car. I have a couple of contacts one from this site (thanks Steve) and another is my uncle, they have been giving me lots of info on their experinces which is great.

I suppose my question/request is that if anyone hear has documented their build I would love to see it posted up. Opinions on engine, diffs, suspension...etc are also welcome, keeping in mind I want to build it to the Group N requirements so that later on if I decide I want to do more than just sprint days and hillclimbs the car is already setup to the specs.

I will start a thread on my build when I start to get into it a bit more. At the moment I am just really trying to acquire as many parts as I can to get the ball rolling and not stop due to waiting on parts. Im expecting the build to take up to 2 years but would love to have it ready for Targa Adelaide next year. But that only gives me a little over a year.

Any other info people would like to share or give their two cents is more than welcome.

Thanks

Dave

Posted Image

#2 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Just went trough all this stuff with a mate of mine, we decided to tell them where to go in the end. they want you to do things their way and then when you do just that and make it go faster or stop better then someone else they say no you can't have that. things that we where allowed to have then told no was things so picky it wasn't funny, like alloy rocker cover and oil catch can made from alloy, they had to be changed to steel as they didn't have alloy ones in 1971-2. engine and cyl head had to be of correct date code????? don't understand that one red motor is a red motor.
I know it might sound picky and fussy but after you spen heaps of $$$ on items and development to get it right, they change their mind and you can't use it.
now we have a car built and can't race itm, and not just that but they want mega dollars for you to put your car on the track to provide the entertainment for others to watch.
NO WOUNDER MOTORSPORT IS DIEING IN AUSTRALIA.

#3 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.

I have heard this same problem from a few people who have similar stories. My uncle has built quite a few track cars over the years and I can remember a stack of times where he was fuming as a scrutineer would say one thing and then a different scrutineer would say another the following week.

When I went to a sprint day just to have a go, 4 scrutineers were going over my car 3 of them were picking up stupid stuff almost as if to stamp their authority on me. Luckily the 4th guy was there and just said for me to make a note of it and sort it out next time...and that was just a sprint day for any car with any mods!

Its a shame that they make it so difficult, you would think that when its based on a class that was started over 30 years ago the specs should be the same as they have been for the last 30 years. Sounds too simple though!

Maybe I should go to a few more track days and see if I can get to know one of the scrutineers and hopefully have a contact to help with specs and interpretation of the CAMS manual!

Thanks for your time mate.

Dave

#4 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

I know it might sound like a bit off a winge but they make it so hard. In the rule book they said we where allowed to have the items we had and when we fronted with the car told no you can't have this and that. It's a bit like electric dizzy. They say no in the rules but let people run them.????
has to be a std dizzy with a vn v8 ignighter for extra spark hidden out of the eyes of jo blow but allowed by the scrutineers. The big problem is they say of the erea. Which they where a lot of things big teams had that little teams didn't. I think they need to stop all of their bullshit and just say this part is approved and everyone has to use the same. It would stop alot of problems and more people would race cars.
Just because one guy might have a big budget and anouther a small one, if they have the same parts and same rules to follow then it would be more competative.
I know of one car that has a $50000 budget for a season and runs brass bushes instead of rubber ones. but it's not of the erea but he is still allowed to run it???? Go figer who is pissing in whos pocket become friends with them run what they have and then when your told you can't have that ask why not as we did. and still be told sorry you can't run that car.
Have fun and race hard and the best of luck with it all
Dave

#5 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

That sucks mate, I can understand the frustration.

Hope it ends up working out for you, dont give up!

If you got any pics of your car I would love to see them. Post them up or PM me.

Thanks

#6 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

the car has now been striped of all race parts and is in the process of being turned back into a road car. will have to go on club rego as the cage is welded in son not able to do it for genral use on the street.
Lots of money wasted

#7 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

bugger sorry to hear that.

looks like I got a lot of investigating to do.

#8 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

three cents.

When i was looking months , now years ago for my car I bought the book " strike me pink " and read it. The cost to build these cars is a big concern as this book tells a story that is a great read and also puts the cost down.

I have been looking at my105.com.au and it has race cars for sale and just to see what you can buy a whole log booked car for is worth a look.

love the shot of your car and white is always a great clean colour.

good luck with the journey Dave.

#9 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hey thanks Agent 34. I have been meaning to get that book, looks like a good insight. Cost is a concern things can get out of hand pretty quickly. I have had a bit of a look at the cars on my105 and there are definitly some good cars on there could be another possiblity although the build is one of the main parts i'm interested in. Always enjoyed fixing or replacing parts on my car. Luckily with an Uncle as a mechanic I have access to the tools and experience I need.

Cheers
Dave

#10 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:17 PM

Gents,

I'm at the stage where I need to prepare the car for roll cage install. Removal of glass, hood lining and trim. Im trying to decide if I go the CAMS spec Group Nc cage or a cage that is acceptable for a Targa event too. The Targa one has about 6-8 extra bars and is only about $500 more. I would like to compete in a Targa event one day but know this may never happen.
Just wondering if others had similar thoughts when building their race car and what they ended up doing.
Cheers

#11 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Heads up;

rang CAMS the other day with my car for getting a log book. , so i can run NC at meetings.

what you need is a period correct roll cage with a CAMS sticker ( which is what i have ) and then you can use the alloy cage. no sticker no alloy cage.

they will accept period correct cages ( as they are period correct as raced at the time ) BUT if you want to get a NEW car group NC and a NEW cage then it needs to be steel and to todays spec.

At the next meeting i will let you know after i discuss with the eligibility officer. I have down loaded the forms.

Getting a new steel cage is a big deal.

I'll try and post the outcome of my endeavors  Feb 20-21-22 is the next race day.

If the car is logged booked ( group NC) then I'm pretty sure it's acceptable in targa - but you need rego with TARGA or a H plate.

G

Ps - just take the above as a guide as i cannot 100% be exact as i'm not there yet.

Edited by Agent 34, 10 January 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#12 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hi mate,

While my car is no full on Nc screamer.....just a roady with a few mods, ......I decided to take the suck it and see option. ( not sure how far down the track you are, so maybe you are ready/decided to  go full Nc racing.?...if so, then this is probably irrelevant to you ).

I picked up a 6 point alloy cage ( with full knowledge of its limitations re CAMS etc) off Ebay for a  few hundred $.

Then fitted up some door bars as well..

Yes it is questionable if alloy is  approved for full racing, but well and good enough for sprints, hills, regularity etc.( as I recall they ran Bathurst with less back in the day?).....and remembering you can run standard road cars in these event!

My idea has always been to have a chop at this sort of stuff...and if I get serious , I'll just whip it out and sell it, and get the full CAMS one as you detailed above.

I'm under no illusion that compared to a welded in, steel unit, with all the triangulation and cross bracing, alloy 6 point  offers only feel good protection, but its a start.

Good luck with the Nc project ....some of those cars are serious bits of gear.....but fun to be out there regardless.

Not sure that helps you...as if you are racing properly you may be steered to steel regardess...then the extra for the Targa unit is probably worth it, to have future entry flexibility.

Col

p..s looks like Grant and I were typing at the same time...his comments clarify my comments re alloy and CAMS etc

Edited by RallyRed, 10 January 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#13 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

Heads up;

Great thanks guys.

Yes my car was my daily drive originally and has no log book or CAMS approved cage. So I will require a steel cage. The main thing is to get it CAMS approved once finished so in the event that the rules change it won't affect my cage.

For peace of mind I just want to get a fully welded cage in. My car is still just a mild street setup but want to get the safety sorted first.

I am going to have it built through Simon Built Race Fabrications, his work looks excellent and he has heaps of experience. He fills in the forms and I just have to send them off. He recommended I get the logbook done at the same time so the scruiteneering is out the way.

I would be interested to know if the group Nc cage is acceptable for Targa events. The Targa cage is a pretty serious bit of kit, with good reason though, pretty dangerous on public roads.

You're lucky you have the CAMS sticker Grant, you can keep your nice light alloy cage!!

#14 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

Dave,

Col also has a cams sticker on a cage he bought off fle bay and then installed  - so see if you can find an alloy cage with a sticker ( they come up )  as it will be HEAPS cheaper and also will still be able to get a log book.

upto you though.

A race car can run in TARGA as the safety requirements are the same or similar. the problem with TARGA is that if you take a road car getting upto spec is the same as race prepping a car for the track - much for much 

the difference is that a TARGA car needs some form of rego and a pretty sure you need  a trip meter - all else is the same. So a log booked car with CAMS can comply with TARGA requirements.( pretty sure as i looked into this last year ).

but if you get a full steel welded cage then just be careful of rego.

G

#15 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

Can you guys run a Cro-Mo cage, or must it be steel?

#16 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

1)  if you have a cage with a " cams sticker and a number " mine is 345 i think then the cage has been accepted by cams at some stage as compliant at the time.

you can " transfer this cage into another shell if there was a racing incident where by the shell was damaged. hence you can re use an old aluminum cage.

They don't like to tell you this and would prefer that you use a " new steel cage" in any new car.

For instance my cage ( 6 point)  does not have " side intrusion bars" between A and B pillar the guy at CAMS stated that they would NOT accept my cage if i put these side bars into the cage.

2) old cages - no CAMS sticker no go on the cage and they will not accept AT ALL as there is no reference point to " when the cage was accepted " 

3) old cages can be what ever material was approved at the time.

GENERAL BELOW for NEW cages 

Material: Ideally the material specifications detailed in paragraph 3.1.5. Materials should be used, but 
alternatives will be considered where these can be shown to be impractical. Alloy bars are not allowed 

this is in the further reference point. NOTE the word ideally above 

3.1.6 ROLL BARS: It is strongly recommended that effective roll bars be fitted to all competing vehicles but, in 
Groups Ja, Ka and Lb, those which cannot be so equipped without serious adverse impacts on standards 
of authenticity and originality may be exempted from the requirement. Owners and drivers will be required 
to attest in writing their understanding of the additional risk of death or injury arising from their use of the car 
without rollover protection equipment.
Historic vehicles (except Groups Na, Nb, Nc, C, A, Sa, Sb and Sc - refer individual group regulations) are 
subject to the following possibilities:
(a) no roll bar unless the vehicle was originally equipped with one (Groups Ja, Ka and Lb only); or
(B) a roll bar based on CAMS 1973 requirements (see below).
© a roll bar complying with Schedule J; or
(d) a roll bar specifically approved by CAMS and conforming to the guidelines detailed in Standards 3.6.5.
Type (B): Specifications for a roll bar assembly for possibility (B) above based on CAMS 1973 requirements 
are as follows:
General configuration: With the driver in the normal seated position, the roll bar shall:
(i) be of height at least level with the top of the driver’s helmet;
(ii) not overhang the driver’s helmet, but be within six inches (150mm) of the driver’s helmet;
(iii) in combination with the vehicle structure shall not leave unprotected any part of the driver’s shoulder 
profile (when viewed from front or rear);
(iv) be adequately braced longitudinally. Last updated: 01/01/2015
5TH CATEGORY - HISTORIC CARS
VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY – GENERAL REQUIREMENTS 3
© Confederation of Australian Motor Sport Ltd. All use subject to Conditions of Use at www.cams.com.au
Material: Seamless or drawn welded steel tubing, either square or round in section, of minimum sectional 
dimensions as follows:
• Overall dimensions of main hoop members less than 600mm by 600mm: 1¼ inch (or metric equivalent) by 16 
gauge. 
• Overall dimensions of main hoop members more than 600mm by 600mm (eg, full-width roll bars on two-seat 
vehicles): 1¾ inch (or metric equivalent) by 12 gauge.
• Mounting plates, when used shall be of a minimum thickness of one-eighth inch (3mm) and shall adequately 
distribute stresses into the main structure of vehicle. 
Fabrication: Where tube bending is employed all bends shall be of smooth form without crinkling or 
significant section weakening. 
Mounting: Al

#17 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

4. SAFETY CAGE STRUCTURES BUILT TO PREVIOUS AND FOREIGN REGULATIONS
4.1 VEHICLES BUILT TO PREVIOUS CAMS REGULATIONS: Where a safety cage structure is fitted to a 
vehicle which is subject of a CAMS log book, or where the safety cage structure has been certified by CAMS, 
such safety cage structure may continue to be used in competition provided it remains in conformity with the 
regulations that were in force at the date of issue of either the initial log book for the vehicle, or the certification 
document.
Regardless of when the car was first subject of a log book, the following requirements apply:
(a) a Type 3 Full Safety Cage structure is the minimum requirement in a closed vehicle in a national or state level 
race, except in competition exclusively for the 5th Category (and unless otherwise specified in the relevant 
Historic Technical Regulations); 
( B) a Type 3 Full Safety Cage structure is the minimum requirement in a closed vehicle in a national level rally and/
or a Tarmac Rally; 
© a Type 3 Full Safety Cage structure with a roof reinforcement configuration complying with Drawing J-14, J-15 
or J-16 is the minimum requirement in an open vehicle in a timed rally/trial or off road event; and
(d) protective padding is required in accordance with Article 11.  

Edited by Agent 34, 11 January 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#18 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

but if you get a full steel welded cage then just be careful of rego.

Thanks Grant,

I presume most guys put their cars on rally rego? I like the idea of rally rego but don't like that once your car is on rally rego you can never convert back to street car. I don't plan on ever goin back to a street car but nice to have the option. But I guess once a car is log booked with CAMS then you probably can't convert to a street car ever again either

Leaning towards the group Nc cage.

Dave

#19 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

Hi Dave

My 2 cents worth .........

Like Agent 34 and RallyRed I also have a car that is not quite Group Nc spec but suits my purposes of sprints, hill climbs, regularity and tarmac rallies. My car has a CAMS Group 3J log book and is on Historic Rego.

I also agree that if you want a race car then there is significant value buying a completed car. As you are probably aware, many of the Group Nc LJ's that are for sale between $30k and $45k are way under their cost to build and develop. Some LJ's are producing upwards of 300hp - this alone costs serious money! I know lots of the fun with a race car is in the building of it, but even a ready to go race car will require changes to suit the new owner, improvements and maintenance. Plus you will need spares, a trailer .....etc. And the assistance that can be drawn on from a previous owner is invaluable.

There is an Nc Torana for sale on Gumtree at the moment that also has the added potential of a CAMS COD and therefor possible Group C classification (according to the seller).

There are some awesome pictures of the build of an LJ tarmac rally car at:

http://anygivenreaso...lj-xu-1-torana/

I look forward to reading about the progress with your car. All the best.

Steve

#20 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

Yep I know what your saying Steve.

Very pricey to build.  I pretty much do everything myself and have help from my Uncle who is a mechanic and very experienced with these cars.  I enjoy the build part, I'm trying to do everything myself and learn as much as I can.

Its also a lot easier to justify 5k spent on the car each year as opposed to dropping 30k on a built one. The missus would have my nuts! and probably make me sell my current car, I dont think I could ever sell it on, had it for 15 years now.

I'm in no hurry to have the car built, just enjoying the learning process.

Thanks for the link, I saw this a little while back, very nice car, no expense spared from the look of it.

I still dont really understand the rego side of things allowing the car to be driven on the road to rally events/mechanic and so forth. SA doesnt allow modified vehicles on historic reg.

Need to keep reading up.

Cheers

Dave

#21 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Well I have gutted the interior over the last couple of weeks and just dropped the beast down to Simon Built Race Fabrications for the new cage. Will post some pics next week when I get it back.

9FF50F54-598F-495D-B589-4669A6D2A3DE_zps

56D88ACB-CA50-4A92-92F5-2027F11347D3_zps

00BCCFDB-BD50-4791-AAF5-B9272E843452_zps

#22 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Nice will be awesome to see the cage go in.

looks a good shell.

#23 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:47 PM

following with interest mate.....like the look of your car!!!

#24 darway43

darway43

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

Thanks guys.

Well I got the call today, car was ready. Only took them about 2 1/2 days.

6 point cage to CAMS specs, they have kept the weight down as best they can, not adding too many bars in. I also got them to make up a seat mount and I now fit in the car much better.

Will spend this weekend sanding and painting the interior and cage. Hopefully have reassembled over the next couple of weeks.

F04A9E19-56C4-4EEE-8ED7-EFBBF539E351_zps

DD1E66C8-6269-4157-B27E-3777D7222CDC_zps

45A8F0C4-58D3-42F9-9A59-4392581F130B_zps

EC8CB0E1-4217-443C-A61B-E1345EC32500_zps

78A44DFF-F192-435B-8491-F689C5F32596_zps

F5CE5122-A72D-47A6-AF1E-85B398E3EA0A_zps

387BB170-5296-486F-B4FE-71D5E1B26E47_zps

#25 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

that looks like a serious cage...very nice

I just wish CAMS would log book the old , already approved design, cages in recently constructed cars.

When I hear they are sketchy on alloy cages in Nc etc these days ( and I CAN  understand that) , I always have a little smile when I look around at some of the old genuine open wheel racing cars that are log booked...that have a single little hoop near the drivers helmet.......

Regardless....nice job mate...will follow your thread closely.

Edited by RallyRed, 05 March 2015 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users